Skip to content

Default script makes archers charge into melee

ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
edited November 2013 in Fixed
This is the one Imoen has by default. If I leave her be and enemies show up, she doesn't try to shoot things from afar, but instead decides it'd be much better to get to melee range first. This is obviously a problem.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    edited November 2012
    I've only been playing for a few hours and I notice a bug has been reoccurring with Imoen's range attack script. After she kills one enemy with her Short Bow and regular arrow, she will target the next enemy (I can pause the game, select her, and clearly see which enemy she has targeted), then she will run up to the enemy and stand adjacent (in melee range) before starting to shoot her bow. The party has been in the wilderness every time this occurs and there is no blocking terrain, although my main character is attacking the enemy in melee.

Expected Behaviour: Imoen will fire her Short Bow at the targeted in enemy, at range, instead of running adjacent to the enemy.
    Post edited by Balquo on
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    I confirm this bug, please fix it.

Note : The "ranged" preset script is not interesting, since at close range, she draws her sword to attack.
    At long range, she moves to keeps distance from her ennemies instead of firing at them !
  • WabbitTwaksWabbitTwaks Member Posts: 54
    Huh. I wondered why at the start of every battle she ran at the enemy instead of shooting them with the bow she has equipped.
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    And afterwards I have to make command for them to move away twice before they react (see bug where I have to give partymembers move comman twice to move)
  • SirCumferenceSirCumference Member Posts: 35
    same
  • AitricAitric Member Posts: 4
    Mine seems to only happen when they are reacting on their own to attack an enemy. So if I tell them to attack before the AI script kicks in, they stay at range.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Dafojk, @SirCumference

Could you confirm if the same only happens to you if the AI is on?
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    Yes, it is as Aitric says I've just testet again on some bandits - they did not live
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    There are many topics out there already stating that the characters are not doing what was told to them. Maybe merge this topics? (Weirdly behaving characters and must to assign orders twice topics f.i.) In BG1 and BG2 you could override the AI with your orders, so even if the AI is turned on it shouldn't be a problem.
  • MyvalMyval Member Posts: 127
    It also happens with Montaron, when I have him equipped with a sling.
  • AvengingExileAvengingExile Member Posts: 33
    I have also seen this bug. Imoen dies a lot. I have a frequent customer coupon for the Temple now!
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Most of my party is equiped with bows/slings and most of the time this is fine. However, I have at several time experienced that my archers instead of auto switching targets decides to run up the targeted enemy and just stand there (or sometimes firing bows in close range).

Expected behavior: They stay in their spot and fire their arrows instead of trying kamikazee hugs.
  • AlderonAlderon Member Posts: 53
    Getting this too.
  • seasea Member Posts: 65
    Did you set up your scripts on your party correctly? You need to make sure they are using the "ranged" behavior.
    Haven't touched the scripts so far.. I'll check it out :-)
  • AlderonAlderon Member Posts: 53
    sea said:

Did you set up your scripts on your party correctly? You need to make sure they are using the "ranged" behavior.

IF it's a script issue, it's a problem with the default script, because I hadn't touched them either. And that's a bug, if a character is equipped with a ranged weapon, the default custom script 'should' dictate that the character stands at a distance and fires at enemies.
    Setting script seems to fix it, but the default script should be looked at. Something is fishy with it
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Had a similar issue with a hiding barbarian - changing the script seemed to fix it.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Frustrating bug, but seems easily dealt with. Now, if I can only go from bow to 2-weapons without going through inventory...
  • PsychoblondePsychoblonde Member Posts: 14
    My characters do this even with the "ranged" script, in fact, I have all 4 of my ranged characters on different scripts and they ALL do this.
  • WabbitTwaksWabbitTwaks Member Posts: 54
    I seem to have discovered a workaround for this problem. I have the auto-pause set to pause when an enemy is sighted, and if I give specific attack orders to my ranged attackers (Imoen and Montaron), they will stand and fire as intended. I understand this circumvents the beginning of the script that should make them do this automatically, but it is better than them advancing to their untimely deaths.
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    I've gotten to the point where I have removed all scripts except for my fighter. Even my clerics are casting when they should be passive.
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    same here I just stared in disbelief as lvl 1 neera ran up to a ogre with her sling 0_0 and tried diff. scripts
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    LMAO "kamikaze hugs". Love it. So true too. Montaron if using his sling does this and it is very annoying. I mean he can handle himself in an up-close fight, but not everyone can.
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    I just had Dynaheir pull that trick with an ogre. You can imagine how that went down.
  • Match451Match451 Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2012
    Has anyone else noticed this? Sometimes after killing an enemy (I think, it might just be random), a ranged unit walks right up to their next target, and starts firing arrows at them, rather than staying where they're at and firing at them. It's very annoying, since my ranged units are particularly squishy, and they get cut to ribbons when they walk up to a melee unit.
    Post edited by Jalily on
  • AnthedonAnthedon Member Posts: 26
    Had the same issue. Fixed it by changing the behaviour of the NPC in the script section (standard usually works just fine).
  • Match451Match451 Member Posts: 54
    Thanks. I'll see if that worked.
    For anyone else who's have this problem, you can change the character script by going to the Character Record, Clicking Customize, then clicking Script.
    @elminster It helps setting them to ranged in their scripts, but their original scripts are plain down suicidal ^^
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Psychoblonde seems to have found otherwise. So I'm not really sure what to think lol.