Skip to content

New Resolutions for the GUI

The GUI the game ships with is made with a quite low resolution as a base. Now I see how it would be way to much work to make one fitting for all resolutions but at least one made with 720p and one with 1080p as 2 very common resolutions would be a very nice thing to make the UI less blurry.

Comments

• WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    And smaller!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    A higher-resolution batch of GUI elements would be nice.

Although I just saw it demonstrated how easily these elements can be reskinned: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8806/someone-at-shs-just-posted-an-ui-mod-old-bg1-gui-which-is-not-so-blurry-yeehaa

Which means, basically, a new GUI skin can (potentially) be made for any resolution.
  • ShakaUVMShakaUVM Member Posts: 5
    Agreed. The one thing that really sold me on BG:EE was -

"Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition features an updated and improved interface that has native support for high resolution and widescreen displays"

But when I installed it, the UI is all low res and washed out. I really think they need to reskin the UI for higher res (I use a 1080p display) and hopefully do another pass over the ugly sprites and their ugly dithering.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I don't get this.
    My GUI surely isn't washed out or blurry and it certainly isn't low res.

Many doesn't have this issue, so it can't just be the scaling in and of itself.
    Why is it blurry on your machine and sharp on mine?

• AlequeAleque Member Posts: 149
    Great suggestion. Also make the font size bigger! I feel like playing right now but it's hard to read.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    edited December 2012
    Bytebrain said:

I don't get this.
    My GUI surely isn't washed out or blurry and it certainly isn't low res.

Many doesn't have this issue, so it can't just be the scaling in and of itself.
    Why is it blurry on your machine and sharp on mine?

If you are playing at low resolution display its not as prominent. On 1080p displays (and 1920x1200) the GUI is really blurry and huge. Here is an example:

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @Bercon
    Well, I can't play on more than 720P and it looks good, but I'm glad those who have issues have options via modding at least.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    Why not adding a gui in quality 1920x1080 and just downscale this with lower resolutions?

Taking a 720P Gui and upscale is the wrong way how to do stuff like that, sorry Devs :)
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Bytebrain said:

@Bercon
    Well, I can't play on more than 720P and it looks good, but I'm glad those who have issues have options via modding at least.

Yeah I play on 1680x1050 it is clearly noticeable for me but not at the point where it is disturbing but not good design anyway.

The font size should be freely selectable. For me the size is perfect as long as I'm close to the screen.
    Then try to imagine how it looks with 1920x1080 or Beyond... its terrible :D
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I believe the static font size is there for a reason, but I don't recall at the moment what it is. That said, it would be really great if it could be selectable from a few sizes.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302

Yeah I can imagine that. Especially considering the UI was build around 1024x768 which is the resoltuion the game runs by default in windowed mode.
    edited December 2012
    1024x768 upscaled then to 1920x1080 - This is what i call a TRUE enhancement....

One more reason why there should be a 1920x1080 GUI which should be instead downscaled... The only right direction to go. But upscaling such a low Quality Version.... That is beyond Words....