Skip to content

Player how-to: Getting mods to work on BGEE

Comments

• LanatirLanatir Member Posts: 33
    its in the 00766 folder along with data, lang, manuals and so on
    GKL206
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Hmm, that's the right location. Is it read-only?
    edited November 2012
    WTF! I created it in there....how could it have been read only. Yes, it was read only.

i changed that, but it still fails at the same point.
    and it always sets itself back to read only automatically??
    could it be because i placed chitin and dialog.tlk in basically every folder that remotely looks like it has something to do with bgee?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    I have a same problem as Lanatir. It says error while extracting files from data/tutorial.bif. I have override in 00766 folder.
  • SrenSren Member Posts: 24
    @SableRhapsody I try to open the CLASS files (only files in there excpet for the licenses) usingJava nad they won't stay open :/
  • SableRhapsodySableRhapsody Member Posts: 38
    @Sren: You don't need Java to open anything, just to run the NI .jar file.

When you click on the link in the first post to get NearInfiinity, go under Download Packages and click on NearInfinity-w1.1.0.jar. That is the executable you need to download and run.

• CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    You do still need a JRE (Java Runtime Environment) if you dont have one installed on your comp. Without it, clicking the .jar will do nothing.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited November 2012
    Akuro said:

ToBEx had some *very* interesting features which you could activate in it's *.ini file - to name a few:

a) Even if the mainchar dies, the game is not over...
    b) If your pickpocketing was successfull and you were invisible before, you don't lose your invisibility
    c) THE SPELL CONCENTRATION CHECK!

Great, but what are the lines ? Somebody knows ?
    There is somewhere a full listing of the ini options ?
    Now here's an interesting bug.

I used the WeiDU workaround for AoE and BG2Tweaks. I went to uninstall the AoE stuff since it wasn't making a huge difference in the game (and created some "missing strings" errors in kit descriptions.) When I ran the setup file for AoE, that worked fine. WeiDU then went on to run through all the BG2Tweak stuff too O.o

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember it doing that with Tutu.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Since mod install order matters, WeiDU mods install like onion layers. Let's say you install AoE and then Tweaks. If you later re-install or uninstall AoE, it will first uninstall Tweaks, make your changes with AoE, and then re-install Tweaks to preserve the mod order.
    AndreaColombo
    CamDawg said:

Since mod install order matters, WeiDU mods install like onion layers. Let's say you install AoE and then Tweaks. If you later re-install or uninstall AoE, it will first uninstall Tweaks, make your changes with AoE, and then re-install Tweaks to preserve the mod order.

OK, thanks. Wow, I don't remember WeiDU doing that, but then again, it's been...six years since I used an Infinity Engine game? My skills, they are pretty damn rusty.

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Even when enabled to find savegames through hardlinking, the present version of Near Infinity seems quite unstable with the EE save files. It interprets many of the values incorrectly, and moreover simply opening and re-saving a file without making any changes can lead to the game crashing when attempting to load it up again.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    What would really help would be a new BG:EE version of Weidu. Is there any chance of somebody creating a utility? The current instructions for installing mods are far beyond my technical ability.
    I second that. no matter what i try, NI simply doesnt work as intended for me. Cant get any mod to work
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    ALIEN said:

Information for Windows XP Users:

Windows 8 user sorry, but I will try this.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    I'm having a hard time setting up the hard link. I'm following the tutorial, but maybe I'm doing the wrong thing for "the directory?"

Using the following command:

C:\Games\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766>mklink /H dialog.tlk .\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk

All I get is, "Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

So what directory should I be doing this in? And what would the command be to make a hard link with the other files/folders so Shadowkeeper could run properly?
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    @lanatir @Pecca

Unfortunately, that is a fairly common problem for windows xp and above. Try this guide:
    http://itexpertvoice.com/home/fixing-the-windows-7-read-only-folder-blues/
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    edited November 2012
    Oh, and if you get error: paramater format not correct -, bracket your file path in quotation marks. If your file path has any spaces (like Program files) cmd.exe can't read it

Btw, run as admin
    Yeah, it seems im a victim to this 'bug/feature' in windows 7, and low and behold, NONE of the suggested things to fix it did help. Seems im shit outta luck and need to wait for weidu
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    Someone needs to change the first post. I spent an hour trying to set up hard links to get shadowkeeper working, had a ton of trouble with the command prompt.

The program, "Link Shell Extender" can handle making hard links very quickly and painlessly.
  • secretfiresecretfire Member Posts: 63
    Hmm. Any idea how many/what kit mods might be possible to make work, in theory? I'm already positive that the Druidic Sorcerer one can't be juryrigged into working (a pity, as its my favorite class) - but there have to be a few of them that, with the near infinity/weidu workarounds, have to be viable.
  • sirthaddaeussirthaddaeus Member Posts: 41
    following the instructions in the very first post i was able to install the Harper Scout kit but when I went to start up a new game, BGEE does not work.

Reason for this to be happening?
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    If all I want to do is use the armor swap for fighter/mage/thief, can I just use the override folder?

*edit* OK, just copied the dialog file to the root and created the override folder, the avatar swap installed successfully. Looks great!
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @sirthaddaeus The reason is that the Harper Scout kit is not compatible with BG:EE. You will just have to be patient.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited December 2012

What would really help would be a new BG:EE version of Weidu. Is there any chance of somebody creating a utility? The current instructions for installing mods are far beyond my technical ability.

@Aosaw said it will be tuesday, so you don't need much patience!

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/165589/#Comment_165589

• GavinfoxxGavinfoxx Member Posts: 3
    So, uh, I followed the instructions on this thread, but now I have no idea how to actually install the mods with WeiDU. Can someone walk me through, step by step, how to install (say) the latest BG2Tweaks? Thanks!
  • csuzwcsuzw Member Posts: 48
    I spent most of Sunday trying and failing to make ShadowKeeper work with BG:EE automatically with no folder copying/linking. Unfortunately while I'm pretty sure I updated the code fine, compiling it proved too difficult on my Windows 7 machine with my limited C++ skills. I detailed what I did and what I got stuck on in the post linked to below, with the hope that someone with the right setup/skill set might be able to finish it off:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/166741/#Comment_166741
  • callimachuscallimachus Member Posts: 86
    Tried to install a kit mod and got an error message:

ERROR locating resource for 'get_ids_map'
    Resource [KITLIST.2DA.IDS] not fount in KEY file:
    [C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA/chitin.key]

Any way to fix this?