Skip to content

Do you like spicy food?

MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
edited November 2012 in Off-Topic
Well, do you? :P

I have enjoyed spicy cuisine since I was a little girl. At the tender age of 3, I tasted some Vietnamese pepper sauce, cried, and... Never looked back again :|

Now, I spice up everything except for sweets (though chocolate-covered jalapeno was a divine experience).

Obligatory crazy answer has been included too. Because, perhaps these weren't the droids you were looking for.
  1. Do you like spicy food?48 votes
    1. I EXFOLIATE MY EYES WITH GHOST PEPPER LAVA MWAHAHAHA!!!!!
      29.17%
    2. Hatred is a flavor. Habanero is the limit for me!
      20.83%
    3. Medium difficulty, please: cayenne is good enough for me!
      22.92%
    4. Too much spicy food is bad like too many face-punches are bad. Just a little spicy!
      10.42%
    5. No thanks. True Resurrection exists BECAUSE of spicy food!
        8.33%
    6. These aren't the droids I was looking for :|
        8.33%
Anduinelolien

Comments

• vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    Some accuse me of having asbestos tongue. I cannot taste the spice in some dishes where others dining claim it is spicy. I also apparently can drink very hot things that others find difficult to drink. Apparently, I've damaged my taste buds with excessive spice and heat, but I don't care.

Pile on the spice!
    MedullaOblongataSophia
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I don't like my spice to interfere with the flavor. If it doesn't hurt my tongue, I'm generally good with it.
    MedullaOblongatalolien
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I once tried diluted ghost pepper sauce. I started crying and fell over in my chair for 15 min >_>
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    Habanero is my comfort limit. On some kind of challenge, I have gone beyond and may do so in the future. One of the hottest dishes I have consumed exceeded 2,000,000 scoville units.
    MedullaOblongatavortican
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Spicy food is, in general, really bad for your stomach. Also, personally my stomach reacts badly to food that is way too spicy, so I tend to stay away from such dishes. :p
    ^Actually, cayenne pepper has been documented as being very beneficial for the digestive system. Provided you don't have an ulcer, or ate crushed glass prior to pepper consumption :P
    Boozillavortican
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    I dont know what habanero is. But I like georgian and armenian cuisine, which is considered spicy by eastern European standards.
    MedullaOblongata
    I think my hottest dish I had eaten was mac & cheese. After I sliced up a whole habanero and cooked it in :P
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    edited December 2012
    I love spices :)!
    Using spices is good because you can have tasty food without using salt (or at list using less salt than usual), and some spices are also good for your health!
    For example, red hot chilli pepper is a vasodilatator and can be good for hypertension (black pepper, on the other hand, is a vasoconstrictor so it's not so good). Another example is curry, which is good for your arteries, since it maintains their elasticity

Of course if you suffer of stomache-ache for ulcers you should try to avoid red pepper...
    Post edited by Sophia on
    MedullaOblongata

^Actually, cayenne pepper has been documented as being very beneficial for the digestive system. Provided you don't have an ulcer, or ate crushed glass prior to pepper consumption :P

Oh, I didn't know. :o I still prefer sweets over spicy stuffs, though. :p
    MedullaOblongata
    Can't go wrong with sweets! Speaking of which, I LOVE THESE:

I heard about people using them as smores sandwiches... I don't know why I never thought of that!!! >_>
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i like spicy food

it doesn't like me
    MedullaOblongataSophia

Seriously... spicy food is so wonderful. I'm sorry :(
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I grew up eating Indian food which was only made from weak green chillies. Since many years ago, I had to move up from green chillies to Jalapenos, bird eye chilies and ceyenne, and those are a comfortable limit for me and I won't even dare to try habanerros. I can much on 3-5 raw jalapenos before my mouth starts burning, depending oh how hot they are.
    MedullaOblongata
    I'm glad to see some users posting here that like curry! It's one of my tastiest favorites... I don't like to add habanero to curry, because the flavor of that pepper changes alters the taste of the curry in a way I don't like. I do like to add fresh cayenne... heats it up nicely!
    Sophia
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    edited December 2012
    Hell yeah, it's all Mr Cat's fault. Chilli seems to find its way into everything I cook, though I draw the line at vindaloo, that's just not pleasant.
    SophiaMedullaOblongata
    @MedullaOblongata: Le Petit Ecolier! I LOVE those cookies too! :D (even though I usually end up nomming just the chocolate on top XD)
    SophiaMedullaOblongata
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    Hells yeah I do.
    Whenever I order vindaloo I'm always a bit offended when they look at me and ask, 'Are you sure? It's very hot.' Which I bloody well hope it is, that's somewhat the point of vindaloo.
    MedullaOblongataAnduinevorticanlolien
    I love you guys x3

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud, try pressing a big fat marshmallow between two of those (chocolate sides opposing each other) and microwaving for 15 seconds at a time until gooey, chocolatey smoresieness ensues. A smores sandwich, delivered from Lathander to you.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    Damn you, @MedullaOblongata, now you've made me feel peckish... :)
    MedullaOblongata
  • HowieHowie Member Posts: 136
    Aosaw said:

I don't like my spice to interfere with the flavor. If it doesn't hurt my tongue, I'm generally good with it.

This
  • SilySily Member Posts: 91
    edited December 2012
    I love using Tabasco and Black pepper on all "fitting" meat (all cow?) and pizzas with meat, such as pepperoni. But otherwise? Nope. Of course I also like spicy sauces with chicken and rice, omnomnom.

And just to get more picky! Smokey flavoured tabasco for steaks, while normal red Tabasco goes to pizzas!
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited December 2012
    I've never had a vindaloo, hottest food I eat is a Madras or some good Cajun food. But a proper decent madras is like running lava anyway, its just that most western restaurants sissyfy everything, so when you buy a madrass really you're just having what would normally be classed medium strength. Actual Indian food isn't meant to be that hot anyway, Cajun food is waaaay spicier as that mainly uses jalapenos up to habeneros.

Oh yea, a few days ago there were some yummy super large almost leek sized spring onions at the supermarket. I bought them and they were so yum that on top having them in my sammiches and on my pizza, I felt like eating a whole one raw on its own....

Now I still can't feel or taste anything in my mouth, other than a horrible tongue ulcer that occured as a result of the burninating stinky goodness, and my last two or three spring onions then had to go in the bin and I'll have to live on plain soup for a week or two :(
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012
    Hottest wings I've ever had were Armageddon wings at Duff's (its a chain) wings in Toronto. I ate the ten I ordered but cried like a little girl through it lol. They were great wings but hot as hell.
    elminster said:

Hottest wings I've ever had were Armageddon wings at Duff's (its a chain) wings in Toronto. I ate the ten I ordered but cried like a little girl through it lol. They were great wings but hot as hell.

Well, they're called Armageddon wings for that exact reason, I suppose. :p
    elminsterTeflon
    I'm wondering if the people who picked the first option picked it for the lulz, or if they really can eat ghost peppers...
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    edited December 2012
    Splod said:

Hells yeah I do.
    Whenever I order vindaloo I'm always a bit offended when they look at me and ask, 'Are you sure? It's very hot.' Which I bloody well hope it is, that's somewhat the point of vindaloo.

I actually get annoyed when the waitress/waiter asks me if I'm sure. I guess I can understand it to a degree, but here's why I don't:

A: You have artwork and warnings on the menu telling me just how hot it is.

B: I know what I am ordering, which is why I ordered it.

C: Yes. I'm sure. Yes, I know it's "very hot". -_-
    MedullaOblongataTeflon
  • BartimaeusBartimaeus Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2012
    Generally speaking, habanero-level spiciness is typically my comfort zone. A very nice burning sensation, sometimes a bit more than nice, but not unbearable. Just how I like it. However, I have had diluted ghost peppers before, (homemade hotsauce), and while I'm pretty sure I couldn't have one by itself, I can at least do that. So...take that as you will.
    MedullaOblongata
    I've had mega-diluted ghost pepper sauce before. I think I will stick with habanero, where I know I won't die lol

I think the wait staff is supposed to confirm with their customers about the dish's heat level, for legal reasons. They ask me that all time, and I don't think it's a big deal. My country is bloated with lawsuit junkies who prey upon honest businesses :(
    elminsterSophia
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I love it to pieces but I can't take much heat at once--messes with me pretty bad and gives me crazy-ass heartburn. Basically if I'm eating anything spicier than mild to medium, it is in VERY small doses.
    MedullaOblongataSophiaTeflon