Skip to content

Rasaad, sadly had to let him go.

Rasaad is an awesome person but his class, however, is super horrible. People had mentioned that the Monk kit is super weak in BG1 and I've sadly have to agree. I had to kick him out of my group to favor someone who could actually deal and take damage. I'd try to get stunning blow to work but his THAC0 is just too bad. By the time I hit level 3, I was ready to get someone else. I really hope the monk gets some much needed work for low levels to make this more enjoyable. Love the character, dislike current form of the class.

Comments

• GSMGSM Member Posts: 34
    You simply don't use his fists correctly!
  • LaevistusLaevistus Member Posts: 12
    GSM said:

You simply don't use his fists correctly!

If only... IF ONLY!

• VelkirVelkir Member Posts: 70
    Monk is weak at low lvl in all DnD incarnation usually tey start to be really good in the middle of there teen levels..its a lil less true in 3.5 but still

Your basically a fighter that cant use weapons and armor that has to rely on class abilities that takes a freakin while to come

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I just SK'd him into a cleric. Problem solved, for me.
    @belgarathmth yeah that sounds smart i might do that as well
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    Any chance you can play him as a ambient character? There's some advise on a thread close by for parties with less than 6 characters. You could then have him just for his roleplay elegance. You won't regret reaching the endgame and exporting him to BG 2.

In any event, that's what I've considered doing with him. Haven't done it yet.
    Velkir said:

Monk is weak at low lvl in all DnD incarnation usually tey start to be really good in the middle of there teen levels..its a lil less true in 3.5 but still

Your basically a fighter that cant use weapons and armor that has to rely on class abilities that takes a freakin while to come

Would have been nice to get something like a fury of blows, wisdom to AC, and a few other things to make them competitive. THAC0 (which is from AD&D) really needs tweaked for them. I really think the class itself could be good once they are modified.

Now I dont mean to say Monk sucks (least in the more recent DnD) they just take freaking long to bloom and unlike Thief they cant be used to open locks and deal with traps
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, after having him die on me several times in short order, I just left him dead and sold his boots.

"I told you running up and hitting the monster with your fists wasn't a good idea". There is a reason we carry weapons. I never liked Monks. They are like the hippies of the DnD world, "I'm going to find my inner peace and then I won't need weapons or armor anymore." Let me know how that works out for you.
    Sulla said:

Yeah, after having him die on me several times in short order, I just left him dead and sold his boots.

"I told you running up and hitting the monster with your fists wasn't a good idea". There is a reason we carry weapons. I never liked Monks. They are like the hippies of the DnD world, "I'm going to find my inner peace and then I won't need weapons or armor anymore." Let me know how that works out for you.

Monks are pretty much the "Jedi/Ninja" fantasy and i keep thinking its a "cool" class but not the cool as in a good thing
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I always made sure he wasn't in the front lines until the heavy armor was getting the attention. It was kinda tough to keep his speed in check because he always wants to cruise on past everyone long distances. Main issue was hitting a damned target!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited December 2012
    The monk class is quite good at every level in 3rd edition, because of having Flurry of Blows giving extra APR from first level, Wisdom bonus to AC (+4 if you take Wisdom to 18), ability to use Flurry of Blows with kamas, and more class abilities coming at every odd-numbered level after level one.

In 2nd edition, there wasn't any such thing as a monk, and it was adapted and implemented into SoA in anticipation of 3rd edition. They put most of its special abilities at post 8th level, because they didn't anticipate anybody ever playing a monk at first level. It didn't exist in BG1.

I have solved this problem for myself by SK'ing Rasaad into a cleric of Selune. That's what I think he should have been, and I think they should have created a kit of Selune for both him and for any PC's who wanted to roll a Priest of Selune.

• KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    I've had him for awhile now and the strongest thing he's managed to kill is a cave bear. Imoen, surprisingly, has been killing fools left and right with her bow. She took out Greywolf when he was about to kill Khalid.
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72
    @belgarathmth There were monks in AD&D 2nd edition. My friend had the supplement. I didn't like the class back then, either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)
  • Don't try to have him fight with his fists. Give him that +1 Wakizashi you pick up on the way to the Nashkel Mines or a good Scimitar (he's also a good candidate for the +1 Katana if your main isn't using it). He'll do more damage, be more accurate, and you can benefit from a pip in Single Weapon Fighting that way. I also gave him the Claw of Kazgaroth; the Con penalty does nothing to him and the AC bonuses help keep him alive.

I'm not saying this makes him a great character, but it helps make him a bit more useful (and helps him stay alive).
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Well, people talk about "off-tanks," and as much as I think that term is overused and retarded, that really is the only place where Rasaad can shine.
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    Give him one of the few weapons he can use and he's more than serviceable. I wouldn't use him as a tank, though. Dorn is excellent in that capacity as is Minsc.
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    @Gabriel25, give it a rest. You're doing nothing but spewing lies. BG:EE is worth far more than the $20.00 I paid for it.
  • Give him one of the few weapons he can use and he's more than serviceable. I wouldn't use him as a tank, though. Dorn is excellent in that capacity as is Minsc.

Yeah, in my current party, I usually send Jaheira in first to draw attention (Ankheg plate, Gloves of Dex, Ring of Protection +1, and a Medium Shield +1), then either have Rasaad dogpile the main target with the rest of the party or run after ranged attackers to keep them from shooting.