Skip to content

Do you prefer playing as a male or female character?

thenethene Member Posts: 16
I've done both, but in general I prefer playing as a female character. I think the paperdolls are nicer (especially in BG1...who doesn't love a bearded lady gnome?), and while it's a fairly subtle feeling, the story works better for me when the main character is Sarevok and Imoen's sister - playing a male character feels a lot more cliché in that regard. Also, you get Durlyle rather than Delainy on Balduran's Island and I like having a dude as the dorky historian werewolf.

The obvious downside is that the BG2 romances for male characters are so much better than the Anomen romance (which I've never even played all the way through in spite of completing BG2 and TOB with a female character many times). :/

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Male of course! But i like chicks too.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    I can agree with you almost completely in this regard. I love playing with a female character, but have always found the BG2 romance painfully... lacking. -_- I've almost been tempted at times to find some sort of hak where I can have a romance with other characters like Haer'Dalis... or maybe even a lesbian romance if worst came to worst. >_>
  • DMZDMZ Member Posts: 39
    I play as a male, always. However, my primary choice of party is usually all-female.
  • SirBuliwyfSirBuliwyf Member Posts: 137
    Some games lend themselves towards a certain sex. I prefer playing Mass Effect with a Female character but I much prefer playing BG with a Male. Dragon age - Male. KotoR - Female.
  • JairyannaJairyanna Member Posts: 209
    Every game I play, where there's the option I use a female protagonist. I just don't identify with male PCs. I agree that they need to make a much better romantic option for BG2, because Anomen is just painful to listen to :P It's a shame Kivan never made it to the next game, I always had a soft spot for him
  • ArkinArkin Member Posts: 32
    I've played male every time. Assuming that they include the portraits from the IWD games, I'll be using the one that supposed to be a Red Wizard of Thay, but playing him as a melee fighter.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I don't have a preference, I think I've played the game with about as much male as female characters.

And for those complaining about lack of female romances in BG2: never heard of mod NPC's? I can't give any advices though, haven't done any romance but Aerie yet, I'm not that fond of romances, I like friendship paths more.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    There is actually a BG2 mod that allows you to romance everyone simultaneously. :::awkward:::
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited July 2012
    I usually play males, although i play female ones when the models look nicer :P

(or i change the appearance through modding *cough*)

I have to say though that an all girl party with Shar-Teel sounds promosing :o
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    @Space_hamster That's... I almost said awesome, but I don't think that's the word. "Interesting" maybe?
    I had almost forgotten about the "playa" mod. haha, good lord, can you imagine, Aerie and Viconia at the same time.

I had almost forgotten about the "playa" mod. haha, good lord, can you imagine, Aerie and Viconia at the same time.

I think we should end this right here. :D
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I play both, but do greatly enjoy playing females. Mainly because as a guy, I've never seen the world as a girl (you don't say?), therefore roleplaying one gives me a better impression.
    And this isn't a game where I feel obligated to play female roles (like KOTOR 2 and Mass Effect, simply because females in those games feel better placed than guys), but rather for Roleplaying Purposes. Overall, I guess I played more male characters, but am catching up with the ladies :)
    Is ME really that much better as a woman? Maybe I should play the three again...
  • thenethene Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for replying, everyone!

MoosechangerPat - I've never used a lesbian hak myself; I think all the dialogue would keep referring to my character as male so I didn't bother with it. I've done the Jaheira and Viconia romances with male main characters instead.

paulsifer42 - that's an interesting reason to play female characters. When it comes to immersion, though, I know plenty of people who break the trend - guys who prefer playing female characters and women who prefer playing male characters. Some people just prefer something different from their real life when they play games.

DMZ - I once did an all-female party without really noticing...I think it was Viconia, Jaheira, Shar-Teel, Safana, Dynaheir.

Jairyanna - I agree, a Kivan romance would have been interesting (although I enjoy just listening to him bicker with Viconia; she even says something sad if he dies!) I heard that romances with Haer'Dalis and Valygar were started but not completed, and that makes me sad - it would have been great to have three romances to choose from on a female character path.

Is ME really that much better as a woman? Maybe I should play the three again...

Yes yes yes... except for the ending when it doesn't matter what you are, it all...

hmm, how do you mark stuff as spoiler..?
    [spoiler][/spoiler] I think
    Well, I was right, but that doesn't help you.
    -[spoiler](whateveryouwanttotyper)

crap!
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited July 2012
    [spoiler]Hidden text[/spoiler]

EDIT: Got it right this time.
    edited July 2012
    Ahh thanks, well

it all ends the same way anyway and all your choices count for squat.
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, I figured as much. I just didn't think it would be that much better. I'll for sure be starting a female character soon... ish. After BG1...and Assassin's Creed III. THEN, I'll start one.

Okay, so "soon" as used by Beamdog's marketing standards.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited July 2012
    @SirBuliwyf

That's so not true. You get a different coloured explosion!

@Tanthalas
    I honestly just laughed out loud.
    Tanthalas said:

@SirBuliwyf

That's so not true. You get a different coloured explosion!

True, true. haha. Also your spelling gives away your location. I always notice people who realise that grey is the colour of their armour.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited July 2012
    I don't care about the sex people want to have in games as long as they don't try to force the option on others.
    The femshep movement makes me a little sick I must say. (glad the disagree button went away).
    The canon is a male sheppard, you can like the female voice actor all you want, that will not change it.
    Thats what the game's writer decided and I have no doubt the canon sheppard is the most suitable.
    There are plenty of games with female protagonists, ME is not one of them.

As long as it's what the writer intended and not "wierd pressures" that decide character genre, I'am ok with it.
  • AvengingExileAvengingExile Member Posts: 33
    I tend to play a female character only because I'm usually putting myself into the game. Almost every game I play has at least one character named Allesyn who's a fighter. I will run male characters to see how (and if) the game plays differently, and/or to try the female romance mods. I'm a huge sucker for romance mods.
    thene said:

Jairyanna - I agree, a Kivan romance would have been interesting (although I enjoy just listening to him bicker with Viconia; she even says something sad if he dies!) I heard that romances with Haer'Dalis and Valygar were started but not completed, and that makes me sad - it would have been great to have three romances to choose from on a female character path.

There is a Kivan romance mod for BG2 and I am COMPLETELY OBSESSED with it. It's a good thing my husband understands my crazy fangirl issues or else he would have run away screaming a long time ago.
  • SyeiraSyeira Member Posts: 1
    I play females. Though I am in agreement with everyone about how bad the Anomen romance is. What strong woman would just let a guy behave that way and never call him on it? Which you can't or he'll dump you. I'd love to see that fixed.

However, the new Haer'dalis romance mod is amazing. I hope the female PC romance options are addressed with the new release. It'd be nice to have some options. Either way though, I'm sticking with a femPC.