Skip to content

Class Kits in BG1

ArkinArkin Member Posts: 32
Anybody know (or have wild speculations) about the possibility of class kits in BG1?

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    BGEE will be using all the classes and kits from BG2.
  • ArkinArkin Member Posts: 32
    Nice! Will there be similar transfers of BG2/ToB features back into BG1? (I've got a lot in mind)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Arkin

We haven't seen the new GUI yet, but gameplay-wise you can expect stuff similar to BG2.
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    One more thing to add to the "What the game WILL do" forum that is to be created.
  • shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89
    edited July 2012
    Is there a thread for requesting changes to existing kits? Mostly asking because I want to request a few alterations to the 'Skald' kit for bards. . .

edit: I primarily wanted to request the complete dropping of pickpocket to pick up some sort of enhanced specialization ability or having the equivalent end-game (for BG2) THACO chart of a cleric.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @shout27 there is not currently a thread dedicated specifically to requesting changes to existing kits. I can say, though, that such a request will most likely remain unimplemented. As far as I can tell, the dev team would like to keep most existing kits as they are (except in the case of bugs, etc.), perhaps with the exception being kits that are very broken, as in very overpowered. That's just my opinion though, and feel free to make a new discussion for it as this is what this forum is for :)
    Eh, then I'd like to use this thread to discuss that sort of thing. No need to clutter up the forum if this thread already fits the appropriate title and subject.
    So, does anyone else have an opinion on the subject? I posted the bit about the Skald primarily because a single +1 to hit and damage at character creation isn't enough to carry the class kit to the end of the game series IMO.
    Likewise, it isn't really necessary to give them TH and Damage bonuses like the Kensai and Swashbuckler, though that might be the only way to even it out.
    I just want to give them a slight edge in combat that will make sure they stay firmly in the upper levels of fighting ability, if still below the fighters, in the 'epic' levels.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited July 2012
    shout27 said:

I primarily wanted to request the complete dropping of pickpocket to pick up some sort of enhanced specialization ability or having the equivalent end-game (for BG2) THACO chart of a cleric.

shout27 said:

So, does anyone else have an opinion on the subject? I posted the bit about the Skald primarily because a single +1 to hit and damage at character creation isn't enough to carry the class kit to the end of the game series IMO.

@shout27 Rebalancing is always a delicate matter, as an attempt to balance something will so often lead to a new and unexpected imbalance. That being said, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea, except that pickpocket is a potentially useless ability (there are only a couple of things really worth pickpocketing in the game). I know that giving them the THACO chart of a Cleric isn't that much of an advantage, but I still think it's a bit much. So, taking away an ability that is potentially useless anyway doesn't really seem to justify the combat bonuses, I think it would need a greater disadvantage.

There are a few kits that could use some additional help, but I think there's a much greater need for nerfing some kits (I'm looking at you, Cavalier and Inquisitor) then there's a need for boosting the ones that aren't quite good enough to carry you comfortably through ToB.
    Like what? Don't forget that the designer's can add some items or conversation paths that requires pickpocketing to be successful because they disappear when the character dies (which would be kinda neat).