Skip to content

Pre-orderers sacrificed to Unholy Bug God?

If you'll remember, I withdrew my intention to pre-order on account of dishonorable pricing changes (a textbook case of Electronic Artsing). However, I have reserved total judgement of the game and developers despite this uncouth act. After perusing the forums recently, I am inclined to believe the notion I mentioned in the title, but I would like clarification from those who know better than I.

Were the pre-orderers unwittingly sacrificed to the Unholy Bug God? It seems clear that this is what happened, and the reasons are not hard to comprehend, if this was indeed the case. If there is a more plausible explanation, please give me some information in this vein.

Regardless of whether or not the pre-orderers were sacrificed to the Unholy Bug God, I am wondering whether or not Overhaul will take the time and money necessary to overhaul the massive amount of introduced bugs and truly enhance Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. What do you think? It would be a dog gone shame if they switched gears and went from somehow hurriedly making one decade old game worse to making the sequel worse as well while managing to alienate all but the most devoted fanboys before finally laying off their staff and declaring bankrupty in a wondrous but brisk flash of ineptitude.

Sieur de La Cornbread

Comments

• freelapdancefreelapdance Member Posts: 14
    Dont touch this garbage until they start cleaning it up. If ever.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    I've enjoyed going through it single-player again.. but it'd sure be nice if they hurry up with the multiplayer fixes since thats the main reason I bought the EE.

Let me get this straight, the guy who posted the ranting nonsensical Electronic Artsing post about two dollars he missed through his own inattentiveness and someone named "freelapdance" don't like the game...

Sounds about right to me.

Continue on, nothing to see folks!

Oh i love the game, well that is, the old functional original. What i DONT like is paying 20$ for a so called "enhanced version" which translates into "a mutilated copy" with a slight mix of "utterly broken" in it.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited December 2012
    You again! I remember that "Electronic Artsing". Oh dear :)

And by the way, not only pre-orderers experienced bugs. Everyone does, to this day. However, I've seen worse games (say, XCOM just two months ago) in that regard. I believe Beamdog will clean this up. If they don't, Boo have mercy on them. It's far too early to make a judgement.
  • I worry about the bugs I won't actively perceive because I haven't played the game in 900 years. The cancer eating away at my bones unbeknownst to me. Then later, I realize, "Oh, he was supposed to give me the +1 golden juicesword."

There seems to be a massive amount of bugs, or the forums are infested with communist plants spreading propaganda. I do not doubt that the bugs are real. I do doubt that the silent majority of players are actively aware of all the bugs they are experiencing during game play, especially in light of the euphoric return to younger adulthood this game will surely bring, where emotion trumps reasonable thought, like every time I watch an 80's movie.

We serfs lack solid data on the true amount of bugs and the true will and capacity of Beamdog to fix the bugs. Has there been a commitment to complete bug eradication (minus things like the Intel problem)? Did the pre-orderers sacrifice themselves to the Unholy Bug God so that future players will be able to play without bugs?

Or is an infestation of bugs the new permanent state of affairs in Baldur's Gate?

Thank you for the predominantly rational replies.

Sieur de La Cornbread
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95

I worry about the bugs I won't actively perceive because I haven't played the game in 900 years. The cancer eating away at my bones unbeknownst to me. Then later, I realize, "Oh, he was supposed to give me the +1 golden juicesword."

There seems to be a massive amount of bugs, or the forums are infested with communist plants spreading propaganda. I do not doubt that the bugs are real. I do doubt that the silent majority of players are actively aware of all the bugs they are experiencing during game play, especially in light of the euphoric return to younger adulthood this game will surely bring, where emotion trumps reasonable thought, like every time I watch an 80's movie.

We serfs lack solid data on the true amount of bugs and the true will and capacity of Beamdog to fix the bugs. Has there been a commitment to complete bug eradication (minus things like the Intel problem)? Did the pre-orderers sacrifice themselves to the Unholy Bug God so that future players will be able to play without bugs?

Or is an infestation of bugs the new permanent state of affairs in Baldur's Gate?

Thank you for the predominantly rational replies.

Sieur de La Cornbread

Man, you got a thing for drama don't you? I suppose there's only one way to find out and that's to wait. We're barely on day four since release and the game has yet to launch on several other platforms. Overhaul is a small team of about twelve if I recall and as such, you can't expect magic to happen over night. I've seen and heard nothing to suggest that the bug fixes aren't being taken seriously.

• CleaveCleave Member Posts: 32
    The only bug i've ever seen so far, seriously, was a crash to desktop when trying to put a custom marker on the map. But then after the first patch that bug went away. Oh and some stuttering on the intro movie, which probably is a hardware issue. So now I am yet to find another bug. The game runs flawlessly.

Most problems seem to come from compatibility issues, not the game being bugged.

Now i know that me not seeing bugs doesn't mean there aren't any. But you know what's good about this version of bg? The devs will be working on it still for the next weeks/months, adding new stuff and neat suggestions from the forums, while eradicating all the leftover bugs!

Why people are bitching on this game is completely beyond me, they've made many improvements to the original game, no one can't deny that. Like the customizable reticle colors under our characters, the zoom function, pixel shaders, new resolution, etc

Imagine what the game will look like once they start adding stuff up, now imagine what bg2 will look like once they're done with their improvements.

I for one am grateful I bought the game, not only because the game looks better than the original, but also because it'll get even better with time. A professional team with access to the source code will do a way better job in the long run than some modding team, however good they are, in my opinion.

The game is in good hands people, have faith.
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    Boo Hoo going to Cry? play the game or leave it be, if you dont want to have a civilized discussion about the game then why the hell are you crying on these forums? Im really asking.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Heh... I think maybe people read the thread's title and assumed it was "just another rant"...
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Aosaw That advice deserves to be in an announcement.
    @Jalily There's plenty of announcements as it is... We really need to reorganize a bit. ;)
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Aosaw I was thinking edited into an existing one...like the Game Patch announcement, which draws people who are having problems and doesn't yet have the new e-mail in the OP. Title could say *Updated*.
    @Jalily
    Oh. Yes. ...Good idea. I've just updated it.
    (I expect I'll be getting a flood of emails any minute now...)
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    @aosaw I've got about 50 dump files I'll email them through tonight. Thanks for that I've been looking for the bugfix dropbox. :-)
  • Lots of intelligent opinions here shedding light on the issue of bugs, especially from sandmanCCL. I question the wisdom of putting faith in a small 2 year old company who has published a grand total of one game, although I can also understand trusting Trent Oster and Cameron Tofer based on past involvement with successful projects.

It seems like the thinking man's best option is to wait for a few weeks/months of patches. The premature release of the game necessitates a postponed purchase to restore balance. Until then, the Unholy Bug God will revel in the deplorable chaos propagated by his children.

The frequency of bug reports in the forums will alert me that either the time for purchasing is near, or the webmaster has increased his adeptness at censorship. This reminds me of the fact that we are dealing with the Canadians.

Sieur de La Cornbread
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012
    At the request of elminster, I've deleted the content of this post. He apologizes for being rude. Carry on.
    ~Aosaw
    Post edited by Dee on
    Oy, hey now, maybe he's just jealous of your universal healthcare and freezing cold winters. ;)
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336

Oh i love the game, well that is, the old functional original. What i DONT like is paying 20$ for a so called "enhanced version" which translates into "a mutilated copy" with a slight mix of "utterly broken" in it.

I have no idea what you're talking about. The most I've seen bug wise is a UI glitch in multiplayer and one crash.

Otherwise the game has been flawless. I couldn't be happier.

• I didn't see what elminster wrote, so I will conclude that he was sharing his favorite poutine recipe. However, it is encouraging to hear from seemingly well-educated individuals that have little or no conscious experience with bugs in this game, although people like freelapdance have viewpoints which are just as important.

My other concern is with the addition of Introduced Ugly into the game but as I have not played the game yet, I can't form a solid opinion. The intro video did not bother me though. Perhaps this will require a future thread.
  • AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    I'm pleased to say that the first patch fixed the two serious bugs I'd run into. (The vanishing mouse one and Rasaad's dialogue loop.) I think this bodes well for all the less serious stuff getting fixed in due course.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125

Hahah man, I recognize an L2 forum attitude when I see one!
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    edited December 2012
    @aosaw have started sending these through.

@freelapdance go play on a highway. Oh wait, maybe you should go play Modern Warfare 3 or Halo 4, that's probably more your scene. Enjoy.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Well, looking through @freelapdance posts, there's not one polite one amongst them. It's only bitching and moaning and attacking.

Can't see one where he's actually asking for assistance with any of "game breaking bugs", it seems like he'll rather troll this site offending as many as he can.

Hahah man, I recognize an L2 forum attitude when I see one!
    For sure.

@aosaw have started sending these through.

@freelapdance go play on a highway. Oh wait, maybe you should go play Modern Warfare 3 or Halo 4, that's probably more your scene. Enjoy.

Fanboy of this new broken product can keep it up, ill go play the original game with BGT instead, then again i want my fucking 20 dollars back so i can wipe my arse with it and feel more satisfied.
    Bytebrain said:

Well, looking through @freelapdance posts, there's not one polite one amongst them. It's only bitching and moaning and attacking.

Can't see one where he's actually asking for assistance with any of "game breaking bugs", it seems like he'll rather troll this site offending as many as he can.

Oh i started out with asking/looking for a solution for the 30 fps issue, no response other than the usual "leave britney alone!" attitude, thus i see no point in being more polite than any other.

You reap what you sow.
    I'm sorry if people have been rude to you, @freelapdance, but that's no excuse to insult or attack the other members of this forum. If you have concerns about the way people treat you, you can send me a private message and I'll see what I can do; but please stop antagonizing the site's members.