Skip to content

Why do we have to wait?

Android has a market share of 75% and iOS have 14%, so why do Android users have to wait.

All I want is a simultaneous release.

Comments

• RythgarRythgar Member Posts: 101
    Andorid has the market share, but the number of devices in people's hands that are capable of playing games on this level is decidedly higher on the iOS side. Not to mention, every last corporation on the planet freaks out when anyone mentions anything related to Linux.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Also, Android users as a whole do not buy apps.

Market share isn't everything.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    And market share on tablets, android is way behind iOS.
    Also, they're so many different skins on top of most android devices, different screen sizes, different processors and architecture, that it's harder to make games for the platform and reach most people.
  • J_IrenicusJ_Irenicus Member Posts: 7
    Yea.
    Android users prefers free stuff, IOS users has no problems paying for a app/game.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Hehe, maybe. But some large, expensive, apps has sold really well in Google Play (android app store). And IMHO as more and more android tablets are being made and people get tired of ads and shitty f2p games, Android users will become the majority. The control scheme offered by Apple isnt a long term winner I believe.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

Yea.
    Android users prefers free stuff, IOS users has no problems paying for a app/game.

Yeah, but this is Baldur's Gate we are talking about. Now I should post the picture of Fry from Futurama with the quote ''SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!''

When the game finally goes live on Android, I will buy it, I will buy the additional NPCs, portraits and if they come up with trying to create an in-app purchase that you'd see Elminster in pink tutu ... I will buy that one too.
  • saltoriosaltorio Member Posts: 4
    Southpaw said:

Yea.

Yeah, but this is Baldur's Gate we are talking about. Now I should post the picture of Fry from Futurama with the quote ''SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!''

When the game finally goes live on Android, I will buy it, I will buy the additional NPCs, portraits and if they come up with trying to create an in-app purchase that you'd see Elminster in pink tutu ... I will buy that one too.
    Exactly. I've already bought BG for my PC, but will buy it again for my Android (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1) as soon as it's released. I'll also buy every other one of the RPGs from that era (BG2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, and Fallout 1 & 2) that these guys decide to update and release for Android.

As for the comment above that Android users in general don't pay for apps, I'd really like to see some evidence of this. I've seen MANY incredibly popular paid-for apps. Just look at the number of downloads of any of the popular paid apps to see there's a big market.
  • smartroadsmartroad Member Posts: 47
    I'm just hoping that it will be released by the 18th. Going to Australia so would love it for the flight!
    edited December 2012
    Southpaw said:

*SNIP*
    *SNIP*

Yes, I agree: ''SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!'' .

As for proof that android users in general not being ready to pay for apps, here's a link:

http://techpinions.com/android-v-ios-part-4-developers/9535

But there is many more articles and online cources thats speaks about and verifys, that IOS will give you a much better return on your investment. But I think that will change, and I'm getting the impression It's already slowly changing. with time, android will be as good as IOS is today giving (you) a return on your investment.

Android is growing up for sure.
    I've brought a number of apps and games. The problem with gaming (for me) on Android is the casual nature of them. Even RPG like games (Heros Call for example) just doesn't have the depth that I want from a game. Each mission is exactly the same, get called, enter a dungeon, hack and slash while looking for stuff, leave. Graphically it is great but it lacks depth. Either that of the game just isn't long enough, reflected by the price; Galaxy on Fire which I in-app paid for played it through once and have never touched it since - despite it being a great fun game.

Personally I would be more then willing to pay $20 for BGEE on tablet and not have DLC. It would be interesting to see both setups (one $10 with pay DLC and another at $20 for full game) sold on the Market and see which does better.
    smartroad said:

I've brought a number of apps and games. The problem with gaming (for me) on Android is the casual nature of them. Even RPG like games (Heros Call for example) just doesn't have the depth that I want from a game. Each mission is exactly the same, get called, enter a dungeon, hack and slash while looking for stuff, leave. Graphically it is great but it lacks depth. Either that of the game just isn't long enough, reflected by the price; Galaxy on Fire which I in-app paid for played it through once and have never touched it since - despite it being a great fun game.

Personally I would be more then willing to pay $20 for BGEE on tablet and not have DLC. It would be interesting to see both setups (one $10 with pay DLC and another at $20 for full game) sold on the Market and see which does better.

You said it!

But let me then recommend a game that at least offers a challenge: Star traders. But It's not what people like you or me likes, no questing, its more like : 'fly there, kill over here, comback within time limit or gtfo' kinda repetitive after a while, but its the only game that at least has kept my interest for a while now.
  • ChetChet Member Posts: 64
    SykoPat said:

Android has a market share of 75% and iOS have 14%, so why do Android users have to wait.

All I want is a simultaneous release.

I'm just assuming that by the time that Android release comes around, the bugs that the rest of the platforms are experiencing will be fixed. Beamdog and Overhaul care so much about us Android users that they want to take the extra time to make it even better for us.
  • MystraTheMageMystraTheMage Member Posts: 71
    I actually think they will be removing bugs and trying to implement something to stop thieves hacking the game and spread the app and data. Gameloft Customer Care company's lose a lot of money this way. it's sad really, when the games cost no more than 9.99 us dollars.

I actually think they will be removing bugs and trying to implement something to stop thieves hacking the game and spread the app and data. Gameloft Customer Care company's lose a lot of money this way. it's sad really, when the games cost no more than 9.99 us dollars.

I'm sorry, this statement needs to be corrected.

Companies do not lose money to piracy. That's a load of crap that software developers, and the music and film industries have repeated until people started to buy it. One does not lose money by not selling something, especially when that something is virtual. The money is simply not gained. I have yet to see a single conclusive study that shows people who pirate software, music, etc. would've bought said content in the first place, and thus by pirating reduced actual sales numbers.

I buy all my Android apps, and have purchased quite a number add-free versions of otherwise free apps in order to support the developers. Since Steam was introduced 9 years ago, I haven't pirated a single game, and have purchased well over 50. But statements like the above really bother me.
  • SykoPatSykoPat Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the nice answers and information provided, I'm also glad I didn't inadvertently start a platform war, it's all about preference in my book. :)

iOS have been around longer and that probably why it makes more money, with more developers and high quality apps that people are willing to pay for.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt if Android was a bit more standardized when it came to performance and resolutions.
    saltorio said:

I'm sorry, this statement needs to be corrected.

Companies do not lose money to piracy. That's a load of crap that software developers, and the music and film industries have repeated until people started to buy it. One does not lose money by not selling something, especially when that something is virtual. The money is simply not gained. I have yet to see a single conclusive study that shows people who pirate software, music, etc. would've bought said content in the first place, and thus by pirating reduced actual sales numbers.

I buy all my Android apps, and have purchased quite a number add-free versions of otherwise free apps in order to support the developers. Since Steam was introduced 9 years ago, I haven't pirated a single game, and have purchased well over 50. But statements like the above really bother me.
    Relax, I am not accusing anyone, it is just my opinion about what I thought was common sense.
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    edited December 2012
    Saltorio (edited. I cited the wrong person originally): your claims about losing money are a little out of touch with how businesses that sell products work. They spend money up front to produce a product that they will sell. If the product is consumed without payment, then they lost the costs of development. These costs can be substantial. So, yes, they lose money.

Also, in many forms of lawsuits, individuals can sue for expected lost income. If the defendant did something that caused the plaintiff to not be able to work and obtain their income, the defendant can be liable for the lost wages.

Why don't we stop trying to make arguments to pretend that piracy isn't problematic. We can admit that it is problematic while also criticizing the excessive methods used by industry to punish pirates and the many abuses of trademarks and patents by industry.

Sadly, as much as I have liked Android on my phones, I have been unwilling to commit to it for a tablet. My main reason is that developers are not making tablet sized versions of Android applications. While the iPad mini is running downsized tablet versions of apps, 7 in Android tablets, and often even 10 inchers, are typically running stretched versions of apps developed for 4-5 inch screens. One reason is slow adoption of large Android tablets. Another reason is a lack of uniformity in hardware. Developing for so many different configurations when each configuration will likely not sell that much is a tough sell for developers. Fortunately, BG is a strong enough product that it should sell.
    Post edited by davemo on
    davemo said:

MystraTheMage: your claims about losing money are a little out of touch with how businesses that sell products work. They spend money up front to produce a product that they will sell. If the product is consumed without payment, then they lost the costs of development. These costs can be substantial. So, yes, they lose money.

Also, in many forms of lawsuits, individuals can sue for expected lost income. If the defendant did something that caused the plaintiff to not be able to work and obtain their income, the defendant can be liable for the lost wages.

Why don't we stop trying to make arguments to pretend that piracy isn't problematic. We can admit that it is problematic while also criticizing the excessive methods used by industry to punish pirates and the many abuses of trademarks and patents by industry.

Sadly, as much as I have liked Android on my phones, I have been unwilling to commit to it for a tablet. My main reason is that developers are not making tablet sized versions of Android applications. While the iPad mini is running downsized tablet versions of apps, 7 in Android tablets, and often even 10 inchers, are typically running stretched versions of apps developed for 4-5 inch screens. One reason is slow adoption of large Android tablets. Another reason is a lack of uniformity in hardware. Developing for so many different configurations when each configuration will likely not sell that much is a tough sell for developers. Fortunately, BG is a strong enough product that it should sell.

Very well said.
    davemo said:

Strange, because very few of the apps I run on my Note 10.1 seem to be stretched. Maybe it's just the apps I have installed.

As for lack of uniformity in hardware configs, I understand it's an issue but I think user base will eventually outweigh it. Look at Windows, it has a far larger selection of hardware configs than Android, and yet it has 90% market share and most software is developed for it first, and there's no lack of premium games developers despite the popularity of consoles and the claims that PC gaming is dying that have been repeated ad nauseam for the past 20 years.

Now that I've derailed this discussion long enough: it'd be great to see a dev comment on the OP.
    saltorio said:

davemo said:

Strange, because very few of the apps I run on my Note 10.1 seem to be stretched. Maybe it's just the apps I have installed.

As for lack of uniformity in hardware configs, I understand it's an issue but I think user base will eventually outweigh it. Look at Windows, it has a far larger selection of hardware configs than Android, and yet it has 90% market share and most software is developed for it first, and there's no lack of premium games developers despite the popularity of consoles and the claims that PC gaming is dying that have been repeated ad nauseam for the past 20 years.

Now that I've derailed this discussion long enough: it'd be great to see a dev comment on the OP.
    They will be far to busy to respond to a question that can and has been answered by using common sense.

• davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    saltorio said:

Sorry, but it is pretty well documented that the Android market lacks tablet optimized apps.
    Instead of trying to think of questions, why not try to think of answers?

Some platform would have to be last. Frankly, Android is lucky it is being considered. We can expect that a lot of reviews for BGEE in the Play store will complain that their underpowered tablet couldn't run it or that it failed on their configuration, as we see with reviews of phone apps for Android. Windows developers have robust code bases and engines to build on, as well as a lot of experienced developers, so handling multiple configurations is better handled. Apple has a lot of users ready to buy and tablets with staying power, unified OS updates, and continuity across generations to make development easier. It is not surprising that Android is the least in priority for a developer. This is one reason why some of us bought iPads. We realize that complaining isn't going to change the reality of the fractured Android tablet space. iOS is a better platform right now for developers with a strong product who want a decent ROI. I may hate the restrictions of the app store's curating rules and detest Apple for many reasons, but the main value of a computer is the software you can run on it, so I bought an iPad. I doubt anyone forced you to choose to buy an Android tablet. You have to live with your decision since this have been the reality for a while now.

Wasn't BGEE first announced as an iPad product, and then Android was added along the way?
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @davermo

Indeed, Ipad was first to be announced after PC/Mac.

However, what is up with the Android smack-talk? Have you seen the latest ASUS infinity? It is arguably better than the Ipad 3. Android 4.1 is also available for most major tablets (Asus/Samsung).

-There are a lot of android tablets with good specs on the market,
    -BGEE will suffer less competition than i the Appstore, because many developers doesnt dare take the step to Android.
    -Lots of large expensive games also sell well and work well on Android (Bard's Tale, FF3, Avadon - which doesnt sell that much but works swimmingly).

That they are making an Android version is perhaps lucky, but it is also a smart and forward-thinking move by the developers as far as I can see. Not all android users are on a phone and only want F2P. I agree that Android suffers from more diversity in chipsets than Ipad, but it is a hurdle to I think overhaul will overcome without *too* much trouble - other indie developers manage it after all.
    edited December 2012
    And it isn't plain sailing for iOS either. BGEE is iOS 6 only atm ( which causes issues for those unable/unwilling to upgrade or iPads that are no longer supported.

Personally I feel any platform is going to get more fragmented as it matures, even one as carefully controlled as Apple's. Apple now has various os versions, resolutions and physical screen sizes. Sound familiar?
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2012
    We've got two tablets in the house -- both Tegra based -- an ASUS Transformer Infinity 10" 1920x1200 and a Google Nexus 7 (also manufactured by ASUS). Both have up-to-date Android installations.

One of our tablets is running Bard's Tale 1 & 2. A full featured 3D version of the Windows game (that we also have). Over 3GB on the Tablet. So, apparently full featured originally-Windows RPG on Android tablets is feasible.

Also have "X Flight" on an Android tablet -- one of the half dozen highest end flight simulators on Windows is now on Android.

We await the Android version of BGEE.
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    Now that I think about it: Let the iPad owners be the Beta testers for a "touch screen" version of BGEE (ha, ha).

Like the PC versions of the better Console games. First the console and the problems. Then, weeks or months later, a much improved PC version. I'm always happy to wait in that case. So, I'm happy to wait now for a "polished" tablet experience.
    Allen63 said:

We've got two tablets in the house -- both Tegra based -- an ASUS Transformer Infinity 10" 1920x1200 and a Google Nexus 7 (also manufactured by ASUS). Both have up-to-date Android installations.

One of our tablets is running Bard's Tale 1 & 2. A full featured 3D version of the Windows game (that we also have). Over 3GB on the Tablet. So, apparently full featured originally-Windows RPG on Android tablets is feasible.

Also have "X Flight" on an Android tablet -- one of the half dozen highest end flight simulators on Windows is now on Android.

We await the Android version of BGEE.

My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 runs bards tale, settlers, gta etc. I am sure bg.ee will run, as long as it is not blocked from buying.

• CountBorgulaCountBorgula Member Posts: 5
    Any further updates on when Android users can expect this?
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    edited December 2012
    davemo said:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/china-absolutely-loves-android

I haven't been to China since never, as far as I know the Play Store is not available there. So for all those new activations, sales, etc. a good portion will be running some sort of pirated software. Until Google gets it together the numbers will look very skewed. Interesting article though, and if I was a small developer I would likely do the same thing.
  • saguysaguy Member Posts: 4
    I bought my Nexus 7 before the iPad mini and there was nothing else at that price point that was comparable. Having owned an Android device I know that my next purchase will be from Apple no matter how good the Android hardware is on offer, because in the end it all comes down to apps.