Skip to content

Talking about Neverwinter Nights

levelwormlevelworm Member Posts: 41
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
For all of you dungeon-lovers: Which dungeon do you think is comparable to Durlag's Tower in BG?
Honestly I believe the undermountain is the only possible candidate . DT is very unique as it has a good background story and have very well written lines in the game (I mean, those books). The whole dungeon is very immersing (not like Watcher's tower as there is no link between two levels).

Actually, I have always been thinking about making a mod for NWN, using the "ice island" idea from ToSC. Say, the island is a creation by the mad God Cyric as a symbol of avenge to the Goddess of magic. And you, the player, are sent by your master to investigate the island. You will meet, say, a Paladin of Kelemvor (also a foe of Cyric), and you two will dive deeper into the ice prison and somehow destroy the mechanism that forbids all magic users to teleport. I'm considering 3~4 levels with each level full of puzzle as well as secret passages; 5-6 hours of playing, which is essentially, a vast dungeon, yet a small and manageable mod.
Post edited by Coriander on
Proont

Comments

• AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    edited July 2012
    Neverwinter nights was never about the OC. Except maybe Undrentide, that was pretty cool. But seriously within months of release modders were coming out with stories - and dungeons - that were the best of the time. I'll go through my catalogue and find some good ones (offhand Excrucio Eternum was probably my fave tho)
  • levelwormlevelworm Member Posts: 41
    Aranneas said:

Neverwinter nights was never about the OC. Except maybe Undrentide, that was pretty cool. But seriously within months of release modders were coming out with stories - and dungeons - that were the best of the time. I'll go through my catalogue and find some good ones (offhand Excrucio Eternum was probably my fave tho)

Oh I didn't play many mods, probably the reason. The few mods I did play were not good.

The community rating system on module hosting sites was quite effective. You could find some really good stuff quite easily after a whlie. Probably still can.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I bought it on Gog.com awhile back and despite my best effort I couldn't get very far in trying to replay it. It is too dated and I didn't find the storylines compelling enough to make me want to play it again.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    Since bioware NWN website was hacked/took down anyone know of the official patch/mod/mp site? I couldn't find one yet.
    NWNVault has been the go-to point for quite a while, hasn't it?
  • karpaszkarpasz Member Posts: 74
    Sounds interesting, go for it.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I've never been able to really play any NWN module actually. Simply because I didn't have internet until late 2005 I think? At any rate, I really loved the expansions while hated with a passion the original game (you aren't even the protagonist of it!)
    Tried playing it recently but really had a hard time. Since it's a 3D game, graphics get outdated much more easily than from an isometric game like Baldur's Gate (even Fallout 1 has still lovely graphics despite being rough)

It's a shame I can't replay it, I really would like to, but I can't bring myself to. Silly thing is that I can easily replay KotOR, which is just one year older than NWN. But the graphics made a huge leap.

And don't take me as a hypocrite, I usually don't judge games by graphics.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I liked NWN for the online possibilities. The original campaign - I never actually finished it, though I did complete SoU and HotU.
    Neverwinter Nights just wasn't a very interesting setting, I felt. And the plot was very mechnically implemented, essentially resulting in a "go here, go there" set up. Once you have gone here and gone there, you arrived in a new setting, and were told to "go here, go there". It was just very dull, and dungeon crawling.
    IWD was arguably the same, but had a very distinct, rich setting that separated it from the rest of Faerun.
    BG1 had a much better narrative than NWN, not to mention you spend the entire game trying to get to the city - which is the namesake of the game - only to arrive and have your expectations fulfilled: The entire city is presented to you, there is plenty to do, and it feels like a city of historians, adventurers and aristocrats, as it is supposed to.
    Athkatla, similarly, is the merchant city of Faerun, with as strong a culture (if not a stronger one) than Baldur's Gate. There is absolutely everything to do in the city, and it is rife with interesting characters and interactions.
    Ultimately, NWN can be criticised for a variety of things, but the fact that the setting wasn't unique, immersive or interesting to begin with set it back paces. In a D&D pen and paper game the possibilities are endless, but with a computer game, the idea is to streamline the activity while still allowing player freedoms in what feels like an endless, rich setting, which BG, BG2, and, to a lesser extent, IWD did.
    Proont
  • ElysElys Member Posts: 100
    edited July 2012
    I enjoyed NWN, and even the OC. It's just the companions were kinda not interesting.
    SoU was refreshing with a different setting and the companions were more lively.
    HotU with its epic contents was fun to adventure with. However It was sadly annoying to play in multiplayer since only designed for single player.

But what I really really like in NWN:
    - Strong multiplayer support, and dedicated servers!
    - Very friendly Toolset.
    - Efficient GUI.
    Post edited by Elys on
    Proont
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    NWN_baba yaga owns NWN and loves it:D