Skip to content

Playing Solo Without Reloading Is Impossible

Decided to attempt a solo playthrough on insane difficulty without reloading and it is impossible. Was doing alright with my fighter/mage/thief, and got up to level 3. Spent most of the time killing Ankheg's and avoiding other enemies.

Went north towards Baldur's Gate and I got a nasty random encounter. At least 6 bandits, all archers surrounded me. I hear a chorus of "Well I kicked him in the head until he was dead NANAN" and a split second later a multitude of "pings" of the arrows flying and I was dead before I could blink. Soul destroying but so funny at the same time :-)

Comments

• JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Credit for the attempt :)
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    It's not impossible. You have to get really lucky and go for some things in a particular order. But it is ridiculously hard to do.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Next time, go almost immediately to eliminate the basilisks. They will pump up your XP and give you a little breathing room.
  • BeverastBeverast Member Posts: 10
    AHF said:

Next time, go almost immediately to eliminate the basilisks. They will pump up your XP and give you a little breathing room.

Ah cheers for the tip. Will attempt that soon...
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Yeah AHF is right, basilisks give you tons of XP. But you need protection against petrification. You can also grind Ankhegs by resting in their lair. This last one is a bit cheesy so it's up to you to decide whether or not you should do it. It will get you to level 5 quite fast.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Invisibility Potions can help a lot. I use them as a Get Out of Trouble Free card in normal games. They are limited in availability though. But immediate invisibility is pretty nice.
    CaptRory said:

Invisibility Potions can help a lot. I use them as a Get Out of Trouble Free card in normal games. They are limited in availability though. But immediate invisibility is pretty nice.

For this reason, they are probabaly the best single use items in the game. Use them and then you can walk away, heal yourself, and come back if/when you choose. For a class with a thief ability, being able to backstab and then go invisible is a great way to beat any of the toughest opponents.

Abel said:

Yeah AHF is right, basilisks give you tons of XP. But you need protection against petrification.

Given the number of people new to the game this should have been in my first post. Protection against petrification is absolutely essential and the spell is better than the potion with the duration. If you are making a multi-class mage, use one of your picks on your starting spells on this one. Then don't engage the basilisks in melee. There is also a ghast (or ghoul) there that is friendly and will assist you (and is naturally immune to petrification).
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    the circle of bandits killed my own no-reload game. just brutal.
  • IntoTheDarknessIntoTheDarkness Member Posts: 118
    edited December 2012
    I've done it once on insane difficulty without grinding using a berserker. It's even easier if you use a mage.

You advantages compared to vanilla BG1
    -you move faster
    -you have kits which makes a whole difference. most kits are overpowered for BG1 portion
    -you get access to low level BG2 spells. Some of them are very helpful.

It's not that hard if you know all the encounters. Just avoid fighting ghouls and such monsters that will root/paralyze you.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    circle of bandits attacked my level 4/4 Fighter/Mage and got slaughtered :P
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    What this thread needs is a sandmanCCL, lol.

Major likes for the attempt. Great suggs by everyone else so far. Here's mine:

For missile attacks: I find what also helps is to keep a Girdle of Piercing/Tower Shield handy. Both are available early and will give you resistance to arrow attacks, which are some of the deadliest onslaughts in the game. Later boots of missile avoidance (from Nimbul) are also helpful.

For traps: Potions of fire resistance (fire) or absorption (for lightning traps) will help you walk over most traps. The ring of fire resistance + helmet of defense are also great for this purpose.

For anything: You will need a million potions of invisibility as well (as everyone has pointed out). These are great in every situation. Potions of giant strength and oil of speed are also hugely important.

Potions of freedom or a ring of free action are also extremely helpful for the battles with pesky enemies that cast hold spells.

When you get a lot of GPs, you can probably invest in that weird ESP amulet in Ulgoth's Beard...it grants immunity to mind-affecting magic but costs a charge.
  • StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    if you want to shoot up in levels fast...do the melichamp chicken quest easy 2000 xp all for you...then get the +1 ring in the rock on the map below friendly arm inn...then head to nashkel and get the ankheg plate...then go to the lighttower and make sure you have a potion of clarity and a speed potion then bum rush the sirrines...they wont shoot arrows when u get close...and they probably wont hit you with 18 dex and those armors. then once u kill them all you should level a couple of times...use the poison arrows on the golems in cave and BAM. gets a regular fighter to around lvl 6 right off the bat. pretty nifty.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    AHF unless they changed it I thought Protection against Petrification was a level 2 spell. Wait I think they did and I'm confusing it with the original unmodded bg1.
    Protection from Petrification is a 1st level spell. It is erroneously detailed as a level 2 spell in BG:EE but is still learned, memorized, and cast as a 1st level spell.

Maybe they fixed it by now.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    I am myself doing a no-reload solo with a Cleric right now, and went through last night the exact same random encounter as the OP, ie (8?) bandit-archers. What saved the day was an Oil of Speed, and a very good AC. Only 2 arrows got me, and I escaped before they could shoot again.

You need to have a plan B and even a plan C, for every situation. Potions are a must, you need to constantly re-stock. Oil of Speed, Potions of Invisibility and of Freedom, Mirrored Eyes are probably the most important. Healing potions as well obviously.

But the RP feeling is so intense. In this playthrough, I mis-timed my Command against Tarnesh: he managed to cast his Mirror Image before he went to sleep for one round, and was thereafter able to successfully cast Horror on me. He ended up chasing me throughout the FAI and pelting me with MM's, I got down to... 1 HP and right then he ran out of spells. The guards finished him off.
    Clerics are good because they have so many really nice options. Lots of buffs, debuffs, summons, etc.
  • IN1IN1 Member Posts: 168
    Well, there are very efficient early-game ways to counter instant-death scenarios. In my experience, bandit archers' ambush is countered by Dex 18 + Ankheg Plate + Ring of Protection + Swashbuckler bonus; any Charm/Hold/Fear is countered by the Greenstone Amulet (~3500 gp at Ulgoth's Beard).

Overall, the flowchart of an early phase of a reasonably optimized solo hardcore run should look roughly like this: http://www.wikihost.org/w/inassorted/bgeesolohardcore
    I'm probably going to change the build slightly, but that's a general idea.

You should take into account that all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. In other words: there are single classes/kits and combinations not made for soloing, especially hardcore soloing, unless you are extremely masochistic and have loads of spare time.
    CaptRory said:

Clerics are good because they have so many really nice options. Lots of buffs, debuffs, summons, etc.

Yep. And as soon as you hit lvl.5, the BG:EE version of Animate Dead is just so powerful...
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9909/animate-dead-spell-effects#latest

@IN1: on the bandit ambush, low AC (especially vs missiles - Boots of Avoidance...) obviously help; but there's lots of them and a critical always lands, so with 8 archers having what, 2APR? (not sure, maybe 1.5APR), you are bound to get hit pretty quickly no matter how low your AC is. So either take them down quickly, or flee, is a much safer bet - at least until your HP is high enough.

On Greenstone Amulet: I never do a solo without it around my neck. What's painful though is to recharge it once you've wasted the 9 initial charges after the initial purchase al Ulgoth's Beard. Very expensive.
    @Ignatius:
    Yes, the solution is to flee, of course, no to solo those 8 bandits heroically at low level. Low AC is just very likely to keep you alive during the process. That's what I meant.

Well, 10 charges are enough for a long while. After all, you don't face a mage/a psionic monster every 5 minutes.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    CaptRory said:

Protection from Petrification is a 1st level spell. It is erroneously detailed as a level 2 spell in BG:EE but is still learned, memorized, and cast as a 1st level spell.

In vanilla BG, it is a level 2 spell.
    edited December 2012
    CaptRory said:

Actually, in my book, no-preparation (or low-preparation) characters >>> high-preparation characters for a solo run. That is especially true in IWD1 & 2 HoF due to insane amount of time every fight requires. But the same principle applies to BG as well. Re-buffing/re-summoning before every single fight quickly becomes a tedious chore.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Its not impossible, but the odds are just extremely low.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The many, many, many ways to die, combined with the dice, make this such an extreme longshot. Good on ya for trying, though.
  • OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56
    Wait, don't the bandit encounters start popping up only after you've killed Tranzig?

CaptRory said:

In vanilla BG, it is a level 2 spell.
    In BG:EE, it is a first level spell as it is in BG2.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Autopause - "When you first see the enemy" is a life saver.

Since Bandits aren't outside of Sleep range, you've a pretty decent chance of taking all of them down before they get the opportunity to start their attack action.