Skip to content

Leopard Boots should called God Boots

KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
Another bug found. Originally The boots of leopard increase only your speed. But now also doubles your attack per turn and all the actions that you do. Now I could play soloing if I wanted...
Thanks Beamdog! ¬¬
It's suspicious that people have already beaten the game and only I have complained of this bug... ¬¬

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I believe the boots are granting the benefits of Haste, not merely increasing your speed.

I don't recall whether this was intended or not, though.
  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    Aosaw said:

I believe the boots are granting the benefits of Haste, not merely increasing your speed.

I don't recall whether this was intended or not, though.

Obviously not. The game becomes VERY EASY ...
  • MansenMansen Member Posts: 82
    You're kidding me... I sold them an hour ago because the walking speed increase was getting Adjantis killed constantly because he ran ahead of the group. Having Spiders Bane didn't help much either as he'd just keep on running through traps xD
  • MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    Don't report bugs on the general forum. There is a special subforum just for that :) (But I won't move this thread there... this issue has been declared like at least 20 times already).

But thnx anyway for taking your time to report !
  • Drake1977Drake1977 Member Posts: 7
    If I'm not mistaken in 2nd Edition when something increases your speed, it also increases your number of attacks, such as the spell of Haste. Basically if you are moving at double your speed, your attacks will be doubled. If you normally get one attack per round, you'll be doubled to 3/2 (that's 2 attacks in one round and 1 attack the next). Then it'll be doubled to 2/1 that's two attacks every round. It'll keep increasing in that way. There is a cut off point but I can't remember what it is.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    In Icewind Dale the boots also increase your ApR IIRC.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Still, I don't believe that the boots increased your # of attacks in the original game. Movement speed and attack speed are different in the engine, as you can tell from Monks or Barbarians who simply move faster, but don't fight faster.

Still, I don't believe that the boots increased your # of attacks in the original game. Movement speed and attack speed are different in the engine, as you can tell from Monks or Barbarians who simply move faster, but don't fight faster.

Exactly...

• sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    In BG1, they just increased movement speed.

In BG2, they granted you haste and all the benefits that come with it. Seeing as it runs through the BG2 engine, that means they also give you haste and all the benefits that come with it.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited December 2012
    As I recall, if you've got a half attack on your profile (eg 3/2 or 5/2 attacks) the the boots will round this up, effectively giving you an extra half attack. This has always been how the boots worked, and has not changed from vanilla (at least this is how they behaved whenever I've played on tutu/BGT recently).
    edited December 2012

In BG2, they granted you haste and all the benefits that come with it. Seeing as it runs through the BG2 engine, that means they also give you haste and all the benefits that come with it.

No, you're wrong. The boots have always changed the speed of movement, never actions. Look back the vanilla version of BG I and BG II. I've finished the game over 8 times and I know what I mean...
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Kharador said:

Another bug found. Originally The boots of leopard increase only your speed. But now also doubles your attack per turn and all the actions that you do. Now I could play soloing if I wanted...
    Thanks Beamdog! ¬¬
    It's suspicious that people have already beaten the game and only I have complained of this bug... ¬¬

I've reported this bug 2/3 days ago, with many others.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9131/bugs-ive-found#latest
    And btw @sandmanCCL is correct, in BG2 they gave Haste effect (unless you used mods to fix them).
    Anyway, here in BG1 it is obviously too op to have perma-haste.
    edited December 2012

And btw @sandmanCCL is correct, in BG2 they gave Haste effect (unless you used mods to fix them).

No... Yesterday i checked it and doesn't give you the characteristics of haste...

• NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Kharador said:

No... Yesterday i checked it and doesn't give you the characteristics of haste...

That's because you're probably using the BG2 Fixpack, which fixes the Boots of Speed (and Grandmaster Armor) to only apply a movement speed increase rather than Haste.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Not convinced about this one either. According to the BOOT01.ITM file, Paws of the Cheetah provides haste type 2, i.e. movement rate only. While this will make characters look like they attack faster, it shouldn't actually provide extra attacks.

Possibilities seem to be:

- It actually grants extra attacks, meaning the game can't separate between regular haste and movement-only haste (major bug).

- The effect is interpreted as regular haste by the UI only and increases the attack count on the character screen, but doesn't really give extra attacks (minor bug).

- If it doubles the amount of attacks there's something very wrong (movement-only haste interpreted as improved haste), but this is unlikely. Also this can't be determined from a baseline of 1 attack as it would turn into 2 attacks with both regular and improved haste.
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    There might be something glitchy with the Haste (effect #16) type 2 (movement rate only) effect implementation as the G3 BG2 Fixpack replaces the Haste effect with a movement rate bonus effect (effect #126).

It could be that some parts of the game engine just looked at the effect without looking at its subtype. I do think it caused problems when you tried to cast Haste or the like on someone wearing the boots.
  • FouneFoune Member Posts: 53

Yes it's true, but it increased attack speed in BG2, the boots became a permanent haste and I don't believe this is a bug, I believe the boots are supposed to grant the effect of haste.
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    edited December 2012
    Kharador said:

No, you're wrong. The boots have always changed the speed of movement, never actions. Look back the vanilla version of BG I and BG II. I've finished the game over 8 times and I know what I mean...
    No, I think the Sandman is right. In BG2 (not BG1) the wearer was under the influence of the haste spell. This was not intented, however, and was fixed by an unofficial patch by Baldurdash.

Edit: I see Nukenin already made this point

• HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    edited December 2012
    Foune said:

Yes it's true, but it increased attack speed in BG2, the boots became a permanent haste and I don't believe this is a bug, I believe the boots are supposed to grant the effect of haste.
    I don't think it's a WAD. The boots of speed are now easily the most powerful item in the game. But in the Black Pits they are one of the cheaper items (less than 1000 gold).
    And the description in BG2 only mentions: "increases the wearer's movement speed".

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    One thing I have noticed is that if you equip boots of speed then ring of free movement, you can get thier effects to stack, so haste and free movement. This resets everytime you load the game, but you can then just equip them in the correct order again to get both effects.
  • MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    There are many things like this that make EE so easy. After about 20 hours into EE I felt like I had finally figured out BG and was considering doing some challenge runs. Then due to bugs I went back to the BG1 engine for a while and sucked all over again. EE is cheese compared to the original it makes us who suck look like champions lol.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    .... Hunh, I honestly never noticed a difference in the attacks per round for my Mage/Thief wearing the boots, it's still showing as, and feels like, one attack per round.
    edited December 2012
    If you open the boot01.itm with NearInfinity you noticed it is simply set to give Haste effect, same as the spell.
    It is possible to add an effect that reduces the APR by 1, so it would become a Haste just as regads the walking speed.
    Or substitute the haste effect with a movement rate increasement.
    Whatever, imo it just shouldn't stay like this.
    ajwz said:

One thing I have noticed is that if you equip boots of speed then ring of free movement, you can get thier effects to stack, so haste and free movement. This resets everytime you load the game, but you can then just equip them in the correct order again to get both effects.

As it was in BG2... Unluckly.
  • DeviijaDeviija Member Posts: 37
    Or maybe it could become like Boots of Haste, where it has a number of stored Haste charges instead that you can activate? I know the purpose of the boots is for faster walking movement, true, but just an idea if it can't work the other way.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Mmkay, I've actually checked this now, and I can definitely say I'm getting two attacks per round with a bow, and only two attacks per round with a bow (unless Basilisks are 3/2 or better with their gaze attack), which is boots as intended.

Am I missing something here?