Skip to content

Any release date news? Or Samsung Galaxy Note 2 news

Good day,

I only found out Baldurs Gate was getting this re-release yesterday and I have to say I am very excited! I have read through the website twice and it seems android is harder to get ready, due to the many phones being available. Because of this I would like to cast an illumination spell on the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. It's an amazing phone and what with it's quad core, 2gb ram, 5.5 inch hd screen and amazing S pen. I think the enjoyment factor of the game play will be increased because of all this. Anyway, it is my hope to get the Note 2 on the list of compatible devices. If there is anything I can do to help e.g. beta testing, feel free to message me.

regards

Dean

Comments

• AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Hi man

Im sorry, but they intend the game for android tablets, not phones. It seems that they wont try to stop you buying the game for your phone, but it wont be officially supported - your specs are high enough so if you want you can try to d/l but dont be disappointed if it doesnt work.

The reason is that phone screens are simply too small to be able to play the game well. Get it for PC! :)
  • MystraTheMageMystraTheMage Member Posts: 71
    I see, I hope they change that because my phone is superior to most tablets on the market, bar the screen is smaller. P.s If you read this devs please make note. I would be happy to pay extra for a galaxy note 2 supported copy.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    @MystraTheMage

The Android version was said to be a little behind and that the month of December is the targeted release window.

As for the phone support, not yet. The game does run on Android and iOS phone devices, but the UI is to large for small screens. The company has said that some time early next year that a developer will be given the opportunity to make a phone/small screen friendly UI.
    Thanks for the info, seems strange though when you can play the original using gemrb. Anyway I hope there is a way around or a dev notices this any enables a screen res option. Was really looking forward to playing it on my phone.
    I was wondering, will I be able to install and play the game on my Note 2? There won't be any compatibility block?
    Bump
  • ChetChet Member Posts: 64
    My opinion based on what I have read: Don't expect it to work on the Galaxy Note 2 when first released on Android. 7" screen has been stated as a minimum, 6.5" would be too small and the phone is an inch smaller than that. Tegra processors will be favoured at initial launch, Galaxy note does not have this Chip.

You likely won't be able to install it from the play store to the phone due to compatibility, but you know your way around android and installed it an other way, it should run. I expect the S-pen would allow you to get around the too small of screen issues, but the different chip may cause greater number of bugs to show up.

There has been talk of UI for phones and fixing other compatibility issue. So do expect a version to become compatible with your phone eventually.
    Chet said:

My opinion based on what I have read: Don't expect it to work on the Galaxy Note 2 when first released on Android. 7" screen has been stated as a minimum, 6.5" would be too small and the phone is an inch smaller than that. Tegra processors will be favoured at initial launch, Galaxy note does not have this Chip.

You likely won't be able to install it from the play store to the phone due to compatibility, but you know your way around android and installed it an other way, it should run. I expect the S-pen would allow you to get around the too small of screen issues, but the different chip may cause greater number of bugs to show up.

There has been talk of UI for phones and fixing other compatibility issue. So do expect a version to become compatible with your phone eventually.

Thanks for the information.
  • PsivenPsiven Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2012
    There really is no reason that it won't work. BG:EE for iPad will run at 1024x768 and the Note 2 runs at 1280x720. The stylus obviates any problem with the small touchscreen as it will be far more precise than touching a 7".

Only problem is reading the font size, I guess, but that *should* be adjustable.

Different hardware may be a compatibility issue, but not because specs are too low. The only thing 720p smartphones lack is physical area to read and touch the screen on.
    Psiven said:

There really is no reason that it won't work. BG:EE for iPad will run at 1024x768 and the Note 2 runs at 1280x720. The stylus obviates any problem with the small touchscreen as it will be far more precise than touching a 7".

Only problem is reading the font size, I guess, but that *should* be adjustable.

Different hardware may be a compatibility issue, but not because specs are too low. The only thing 720p smartphones lack is physical area to read and touch the screen on.

Well said.

Bump, any news mods?
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I don't think you will get anything reasonable. even Trent said that he would rather not commit to a date, when he's not sure whether they will be able to make it. it is creating expectations and complaints when they can't deliver it by the promised date. and as with every software development...the last 10% are the hardest.
    and I sort of agree with him in this.

however, I have seen tweets about the game running on Nexus 7 and running fine. which means the are working on it and got at last an unstable version now. also-MacOS version is out and waiting for Apple's confirmation and approval.
    That spells just one positive message: devs are working on it and they are quite close to releasing the Android version. (because all other versions are out now or waiting)

...and I hope I haven't mis-calculated in my second-guessing
    Well, no news is better than bad news I guess.
  • smartroadsmartroad Member Posts: 47

Well, no news is better than bad news I guess.

Lets hope so! :-)
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    @Trent said yesterday on twitter:

"Android is in the works. We're just killing bugs."

So I hope that means it will be out soon.
    cmk24 said:

@Trent said yesterday on twitter:

"Android is in the works. We're just killing bugs."

So I hope that means it will be out soon.

Thanks for the heads up.
    Screenshot of Note 2 playing BG 2. Captured the bag open, as the weight is probably the smallest font.

As I previously said, I see no reason why bg.ee won't be playable! It is an amazing phone that is more than capable.

m.flickr.com/#/photos/39027360@N04/8268789088/
  • ChetChet Member Posts: 64
    Yup. Galaxy Note 2 is a top of the line device. But unless someone buys the devs one for testing, expect the initial release to be a bit buggy. Assuming they even let you install it.

I'm expecting the release to be soon, Dec 21 at the latest, but it could be release any day now. The longer we wait the more stable I expect it.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Chet said:

Galaxy Noo be soon, Dec 21 at the latest, but it could be release any day now. The longer we wait the more stable I expect it.

I hope even a bit sooner...I would love to play during long dark christmas evenings in the mountain cottage...
  • kyoreikyorei Member Posts: 12
    Ok as well as BGEE I also want a mountain cottage for christmas!
  • vkbestvkbest Member Posts: 42
    Lol, Texts are really tiny on iPad 2 (10") and mini (8") and you are expecting to play on 5.4" screen? They have to redesign the interface for a good playing on phones.

Don´t expect a release soon for Android, there are a ton of bugs on iPad and PC, I don´t think they want to repeat same error on Android.
  • smartroadsmartroad Member Posts: 47
    vkbest said:

Don´t expect a release soon for Android, there are a ton of bugs on iPad and PC, I don´t think they want to repeat same error on Android.

Why not, they released the iPad version while the PC version still had issues (and don't forget the Mac version is out and just waiting for approval by Apple).

This is by no means intended as an insult to the developers. They seem to be a small team taking on a big challenge. The time they would need to investigate every bug would probably mean none of the platforms would be released. If big companies like Valve and EA can't release a game without a bugfix or two after release what hope is there for a small team? The only time I would get frustrated is if they didn't fix the bugs once they are found.
  • bivbibivbi Member Posts: 96
    edited December 2012
    Actually they do quite well, 2 patch in a week, keep going, and maybe we (android an mac) will get a bug free Baldur's Gate.
  • GalaxyNote2GalaxyNote2 Member Posts: 10
    I haven't really played Baldurs Gate so far, but I'd love to have it on my Galaxy Note 2, especially if co-op multiplayer is supported.