Skip to content

Firebeard in Beregost (possible spoilers)

WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
edited April 2013 in Fixed
It appears the Firebeard "book" encounter has been removed in BG:EE and I can't seem to fathom why this was done - does anyone have any input?
Post edited by Aedan on

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It hasn't been removed.

Unless you kill him in candlekeep.
    You killed him in candlekeep, didn't you?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    His name is Firebead, and he's still there. Think there's even a map note for his house now.
    Sophia
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I didn't kill him and yes he is still there but he used to ask you to fetch him a book for which you got another book as a reward and usually a reputation increase - he no longer does this and I can't figure out why they would cut that.
  • szbszb Member Posts: 220
    I got the quest from him and completed it witouth any problems.
    Sophialolien
  • Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    Did you perchance buy the book before getting the quest? I did that on my first play through and it didn't fire off, then I reloaded it and went to his house first and received the quest...found the book and brought it back to him and got the reward.
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
    PantalionGrieg

Did you perchance buy the book before getting the quest? I did that on my first play through and it didn't fire off, then I reloaded it and went to his house first and received the quest...found the book and brought it back to him and got the reward.

No, I remember having to go over to the inn next door to buy the book after talking to him.

Really? I have had at least two parties go to Beregost and did not get the quest from either - I wonder if it is only offered if you return the scroll at candlekeep - I don't always do that but can't recall if I did so with both parties who got there so far - one certainly didn't - not sure about the other one.
    Wanderon said:

Really? I have had at least two parties go to Beregost and did not get the quest from either - I wonder if it is only offered if you return the scroll at candlekeep - I don't always do that but can't recall if I did so with both parties who got there so far - one certainly didn't - not sure about the other one.

That might be it, I always bring him the scroll.

• SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Firebeard hahahah!! Just AWESOME.
    szb said:

Wanderon said:

Well those little stinkers making me give up my first ID scroll if I want to stay in his good graces and get a rep boost - LOL

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I bought the book in advance but didn't get the quest :-(
    szb said:

Wanderon said:

I didn't give him the Identify scroll in Candlekeep, maybe that's it? Actually does that mean I could give him an Identify scroll in Beregost and complete that quest?

szb said:

Wanderon said:

I didn't give him the Identify scroll in Candlekeep, maybe that's it? Actually does that mean I could give him an Identify scroll in Beregost and complete that quest?
    Not sure if it would work, but do try. And share the result :-)
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited December 2012
    Did player 1 (CHARNAME) talk to him and do you have more than 100g? Those are both required.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I didn't return his scroll and got the quest so I don't think that is a prereq.
    Balquo said:

Did player 1 (CHARNAME) talk to him and do you have more than 100g? Those are both required.

Does CHARNAME need to be party leader, or just be the one that talks to him?

Player 1 talked to him - not sure if he was current leader - not sure if we had 100 gold either -

Pretty sure you didn't need to meet any of these requirements in Vanilla - he would even give you the quest and rewards if you killed him in Candlekeep LOL
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Didn't give him the scroll, got the book quest, gave it to him straight away because my character decided to try and collect every book in the game early on.
    The gold was a requirement in BG1 but the player 1 change is new. The player needs to be the one you started the game with.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I always thought this quest was lame anyway, personally.

@Balquo Also, does it seem strange to you that Imoen can't also fulfill this quest? It seems to me that Firebead would recognize either of them from Candlekeep.
    Balquo said:

The gold was a requirement in BG1 but the player 1 change is new. The player needs to be the one you started the game with.

And does the player 1 need to be the leader at the time or just the one initiating conversation?

Yes, suppose he should. But then you would need extra dialogue to be written. He starts with "Ah, you're old Gorion's ward, the lonely kid of Candlekeep!"
  • evil_apeevil_ape Member Posts: 32
    CHARNAME (the Bhaalspawn) has to talk to him. I also found it strange that it didn't work at first. After giving him the book, I killed him for a whooping 2700 XP for asking me to cross the road to buy him a book. As if killing rats was not humiliating enough.
  • raelcariraelcari Member Posts: 133
    Hm. So what does he say then? Also, the book is in the house next door, so no need to get it at FAI anymore.

It's hard to find decent folks nowadays.
  • evil_apeevil_ape Member Posts: 32
    Don't forget that he gives you the best book in the BG-series: History of the Dead Three -> http://baldursgategame.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_the_Dead_Three
    Oxford_GuyNoon
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    edited December 2012
    Yeah I was curious about this also. I noticed there was a Map note for his house but no quest...

I'll try talking to him with my created guy , I had Imoen leading with the charisma cloak :)
    Aha! It worked when I had CHARNAME as leader, with the book and with a bucketload of gold
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    Yeah, I notice too that CHARNAME has to have the book and do the talking but not being leader didn't matter.
  • I got and finished the quest as well.
    Oxford_Guy