Skip to content

Baldur.exe crashes module Baldur.exe - click no play (again) (Patch works!)

CorsymyrCorsymyr Member Posts: 146
edited December 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Most of the fixes I am seeing on this forum for the game not starting are related to NTDLL.DLL, or related video driver DLL (ATI, nVidia). There are only a few that I have seen that are having the error related to BALDUR.EXE. I would like to limit this thread to only those who have this issue. Here is the Application Log error I get when I run the EXE.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 11/29/2012 9:20:03 AM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: N/A
Description:
Faulting application name: Baldur.exe, version: 0.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x50b66b64
Faulting module name: Baldur.exe, version: 0.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x50b66b64
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00457b07
Faulting process id: 0x638
Faulting application start time: 0x01cdce44fe26763f
Faulting application path: C:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\Baldur.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\Baldur.exe
Report Id: 3f305b9b-3a38-11e2-8759-70f1a1b843a2

As you can see BALDUR.EXE is the application AND module that is in error. The Exception code: 0xc0000005 is generic and could mean anything (hardware, software, OS, et cetera). My PC is clean and runs every game I have perfectly; to include BG I, BG II, and BGtutu. The PC specs are as follows:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/28/2012, 19:52:57
Machine name: N/A
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Alienware
System Model: M17x
BIOS: Ver A08 1.00
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 940 @ 2.13GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8180MB RAM
Page File: 2851MB used, 13507MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI FirePro M7820
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68A0)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68A0&SUBSYS_043A1028&REV_00
Display Memory: 1743 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2005 MB
Shared Memory: 3834 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: SEC5443
Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (60.001Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1140 (English)
Driver Version: 8.982.0.0
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/27/2012 20:13:56, 1100288 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

OpenGL Compatibility Report

Video Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer: ATI FirePro M7820
OpenGL Version: 4.2.11762 Compatibility Profile Context
GLU Version: 1.2.2.0 Microsoft Corporation

Symptoms – very simple; double click the Launcher and you get an hourglass for a few seconds and nothing else. The Windows Application Log shows the error above.

Remedies Attempted – Reinstalled game from scratch, new download as well. Moved the game to the root of C:. I have tried every single Compatibility Setting available on BGEE.EXE, and BALDUR.EXE, to include launching it without BGEE.EXE and with it (all combinations, and as Admin). Installed the OpenGL patch listed on the forum. Installed all the VB et cetera downloads listed. Tried the iTunes fix as well. I opened a ticket with BeamDog hour one yesterday (ticket #729) with no answer from the tech assigned (Pdaigle). Checked for any/every update to OS, Drivers, et cetera.

Unresolved Information – The install states the space required is 3.0 Gb, mine is 1.84 Gb. Is this the size of everyone else’s install? The INI and Save Game folder does not exist; the application is not getting that far.

If anyone can assist in this matter it would be greatly appreciated. I apologize ahead of time for the length and perhaps repetition of this post.

Most frustrating!!
Post edited by Corsymyr on

Comments

• CorsymyrCorsymyr Member Posts: 146
    After 51 views could someone at least tell me if their installed version is 1.84 Gb or the 3.0 Gb as listed? It may help me further understand the issue that I and others are having.
  • captainkibblecaptainkibble Member Posts: 4
    Mines 1.84Gb but it doesn't work either. I've downloaded it twice and it was the same side both times.
    Thanks "captainkibble", it would be great if someone who has it running could verify the install size. Perhaps this is an installer issue?
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    1.84. I have a radeon, at first i had the same problem. I installed the update driver of my video card, and now everything works fine.
  • AzureblazeAzureblaze Member Posts: 22
    My "most of the time" launching copy is 1.84 GB --- I sometimes crash on launch, and have to try loading it several times before it actually will open, once it's open it works flawlessly (so far).
    @Pibaro ... thanks ... already have the latest and greatest 12.10.

@Azureblaze ... thanks ... this at least let's us know that 1.84 Gb should be capable of running.
    Update - I tried doing an uninstall of BG:EE and the doing ANOTHER reinstall using the BeamDog client (to the root of C:\) this time versus the Stand Alone Installer. The bad news the exact same error!!!
  • HenrikHHenrikH Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    Exact same issue on a fully updated HP Touchsmart 600-1050sc (Win7 64).

Tried manually making the directory for the baldur.ini file and using both BG and BGII ones - just in case it helped (which it didn't).
    I also placed my game in c:\spil\BGEE - just in case the ' were messing with things.

Same on newer games that run perfectly, as well as BG and BGII.

I have the same install size.

Lastly, it seems that if I try to start it by the launcher, I get the "BGEE have failed" dialogue, but if I try directly launching baldur.exe - it just dies quietly.
  • AlmadelAlmadel Member Posts: 42
    me too! i don't know.....
  • DragonsFeatherDragonsFeather Member Posts: 11
    I have the same pb as you, guys (BGEE and Baldur.exe, both crashing, both Win7 64...). Try going there: http://www.beamdog.com/support/766 and see if it helps somehow.

If it doesn't, send your DXDIAG file to support@beamdog.com, it will help identify all your hardwares and trying to see what can be done to fix this mess. This is what I've done so far. I'm now waiting for a return of the support team, it still is worth a try...
    @DragonsFeather - Already done all the updates on the BeamDog site ... actually had already done those yesterday (not to be condesending), already sent the DXDIAG and the OpenGL report on my PC to support over 48 hours ago. Still no solution ....
    Well, hotfix didn't help me - actually the hotfix now stopped the launcher from launching baldur.exe >_<

I can get an error-log when launching directly though, which I've attached to my bug report to Beamdog.
  • greensunsetsgreensunsets Member Posts: 4
    Same as HenrikH, I could launch the game before hotfix (though not without selecting Vista SP1 compat mode & Run as Admin), but I can't do it since the patch...
  • VaryahenVaryahen Member Posts: 224
    The hotfix force me to change the compatibility mode to win xp sp 3 to windows 7.
  • greensunsetsgreensunsets Member Posts: 4
    Nice Varyahen, it works for me too with windows 7 comp mode (note : I also used scitech gl direct for opengl)
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Hi,
    I installed the new version of BG:EE Launcher, and since after I can't go past the Please wait... screen. The game crushes, with the ERROR MESSAGE: Launcher has encountered problems and it has to stop. How can I remove the new launcher quickly? How can I return to not patched state with 2nd computer already patched? Pls. help, I dedicated this day to play with my wife.

Expected behavior: the Game should work with the new Launcher now updated.

Failure:
    The not working machine has WinXP, 3rd Service Pack. I couldn't download the patch. Only the new Launchers. (It asked me two times.)
    The 2nd computer is Win7, I could download the patch there, and there was no problem.

Thanks for your quick answer,
    Woke up this morning and ran the Patch, and viola I am playing BG:EE (only had to set compatibility to Windows XP Service Pack 3 and run as Administrator). While somewhat frustrating I am proud to say it looks fantastic and runs smooth on my PC now.

Now it's time to roll up a Blackgaurd and go get my frustrations out!!

Thanks to everyone for all your assistance!
  • elfuegoelfuego Member Posts: 28
    How exactly did you "run the patch"? The beamdog client download the patch for me, notified me "BGEE is ready to play" and it still dies silently after clicking play.
  • DragonsFeatherDragonsFeather Member Posts: 11
    It did work for me once the patch was installed... then i quit the game for a moment, and when I tried to launch it again, the window game does not pop up. The game is running in the task manager, but there's nothing else. Quick cut joy.... :(
  • terafilterafil Member Posts: 3
    I have been having the same problem today. I just set Buldar.exe to be compatible with vista sp2 and I was able to launch the game. I tried making it compatible with windows xp sp3 and windows 7 to no avail, but for some reason vista sp2 worked.
  • VaryahenVaryahen Member Posts: 224
    edited December 2012
    Guys, that happens to me sometimes. It's weird. The solution is to change the compatibility a few times. Try again a few times and you will play again.

If not, try to kill the baldur.exe process before that.

*Sigh*...I hope overhaul guys solve the "no voices" issue soon...all my weekend lost.
  • terafilterafil Member Posts: 3
    It seems like setting compatibility mode to vista sp2 was only a temporary solution as I tried to launch the game this morning and I am back to having the same issue as yesterday regardless of what compatibility option I set. Not sure why it all of a sudden worked last night but did not work this morning.
    Wuup wuup, seems the latest patch does the trick for me at least. All I need to do now is run it with admin-privs and it goes fine :-D