Skip to content

Shar-Teel vs Dorn

Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
Nope.
This thread is not about asking which one I should take for my evil party.
Because I obviously took both.

SPOILERS

Instead, this thread is about pondering the possibility of these two actually fighting each other.
I know your companions in BG and BG2 tend to fight each other, at times: I personally killed Ajantis and Dynaheir already, and man the whole Montaron/Xzar vs Jaheira/Khalid thing was hilarious.
Now, I have messed around with my party composition a lot, but I'd like to keep the "final team" I just finalized: me (half-orc swashbuckler), Kagain, Dorn, Shar-Teel, Viconia and Edwin(a).

Sadly, I'm starting to suspect it won't be possible.
First Dorn tells me he doesn't trust Shar-Teel (however, other posters have pointed out that the same dialogue can be had with pretty much anybody you have in your team at the time: Xzar, Jaheira, Viconia, etc...).
Then, just now, Shar-Teel challenged Dorn ("You! Tall, dark, and moronic!" XD ) to a duel, to which he replies saying he can't be bothered, so Shar-Teel calls him "a coward and a man!" (better comebacks, girl! ^_^ ).
I'm afraid these two are destined to duke it out, just like Edwin/Minsc and many others.
At which point, I would find myself compelled to favor Dorn over Shar-Teel (for the simple reason that they promised Dorn will be in BG2:EE, and Shar-Teel probably won't), but I'd rather not.
So, my questions:

1) Is this going to happen? Did anyone experience it?
2) If yes, is there any way to avoid it?
3) Worst case scenario, who do you suggest I should take in Shar-Teel's place, given the above team? Is this Eldoth guy any good?

PS: also, lol @ Google search. The third to ninth results for SHAR-TEEL vs DORN were about some TEENS who SHARE... ahem... something, in a DORM.

Comments

• ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    I was planning on dualing her to a thief in my evil party, so I'd like to know this as well.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    They had this convo for me but nothing has become of it and Dorn has since talked separately to me after it. I'm in Baldur's Gate at present, but only in chapter 5 so I suppose its possible something could still happen. Still, it seems unlikely.
  • DeviijaDeviija Member Posts: 37
    Well, I can say that Dorn had the 'I don't trust...' conversation with my Charname and he named Neera. Hah! Nothing comes of that, from what I can tell. I'm near the end of the game right now.

The other part, I cannot say. Perhaps they just have the one banter-grump and nothing else comes of it. If nothing immediate is happening so far, then I think you may be safe. When I recruited Dorn with Ajantis in my party, it ended in Ajantis going hostile (and getting killed) right then and there. So I'm gonna put my bet on them just not liking each other but are able to put up with each other.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    edited December 2012
    In my game, Dorn told me he didn't trust Kagain (which I found funny since Kagain is one of the two Lawfu people in my party, and I've got backstabbing Monty and psychotic Xzar who are much less trustworthy). Nothing became of it luckily, since I like my unstoppable Dwarf tank with Half-Orc cannon.

I would suggest Eldoth as a replacement if that did happen, but only if you manage to get rid of Skie (petrify her after she joins your party, kill her off, etc.) Otherwise, you have to replace someone else in your lineup as well for a very very subpar thief.

EDIT: Although I've never played Eldoth, I have heard he is very good. Poison arrows are cool, and your party could always use a few more magic missiles eh?
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited December 2012
    Ok, from several different playthroughs, it appears that Dorn doesn't trust Xzar, Jaheira, Viconia, Shar-Teel, Neera nor Kagain. Wow.
    By now, I'm pretty sure that that one conversation is more intended to develop your CHARNAME's relationship with Dorn than anything else.

The other conversation... well, it seems others have experienced it, too, but without any consequences so far. Here's hoping she's all talk.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Dorn is a doucher. He doesn't trust anyone. So I wouldn't worry too much about the list (as others have said), the second (challenge to a duel) part is indeed a little more concerning...

It could go either way, truly. I doubt they'll actually fight though, that would ruin a lot of peoples' party composition, so...

-----

So far we have confirmed that Dorn lists:
    Xzar
    Safana
    Jaheira
    Viconia
    Shar-Teel
    Neera
    Kagain
    And probably a whole lot more. What a doucher.
    If they rely on me calming them down, it won't end well.
    My CHA is 11... after I used the tome.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    For me, the real conflict between Dorn and and Shar-teel is which one to include in my party, since they both take up similar roles.
    edited December 2012

If they rely on me calming them down, it won't end well.
    My CHA is 11... after I used the tome.

While my 4 Charisma Half Orc is jealous, my 16 Charisma Dwarf gloats (both after tome).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    I've had both in my team from the very beginning ... well, from as early as you can obtain them, I'm currently at Baldur's Gate and have had that mistrust convo with Dorn, but it was about Xzar, Shar-Teel also challenged him to a duel but nothing came of it. I wouldn't say their personalities are vastly different or conflicting even, those that do conflict are obvious - Kivan and Viconia, Dynaheir and Edwin, Shar-Teel and Eldoth ....

Speaking of Shar-Teel and Eldoth ... went to recruit Skie and drop Safana, my rep was quite low so I thought Safana would leave, she didn't though and instead just waited in Skie's bedroom. Left the Silvershield estate and Eldoth really pisses Shar-Teel off, for the last time it would seem. BAM, Eldoth chunked. Hahaha poor Skie. Wasn't too bad though, went back and picked up Safana, grabbed the tome of intelligence and dualled her to Mage. Problem solved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    They won't fight.. End of story
    edited December 2012
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited December 2012
    Shandyr said:

My 22 charisma mainchar laughes at both :P
    And because of his high charisma they aren't even offended by that but agree with him ;)

But I don't use cloaks/blade of roses/ multiple playthroughs when calculating my charisma (or shadow keeper, etc). Your seemingly impossible charisma is irrelevant to my intelligence 11 dwarf

EDIT: or the friendship spell
    edited December 2012
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @Shandyr : as far as I know, the Blade of Roses in Baldur's Gate 2 only.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    @Shandyr, Blade of roses is a BG2 sword.
    @Shandyr Yes it is only in BG2, but for all I know it can be CLUA'd in. But yes, it gives +2 Charisma, so in BG2 (or if it could be CLUA'd in), you could theoretically have something ridiculous like 24 or even the max 25 Charisma.
    Also, I forgot about that stupid Helm of Glory, hence the bitterness/suspicion of the high Charisma. I did not mean to offend, in truth my Dwarf is also jealous. My Half-Orc is tempted to rip you limb from limb, but he just can't bring himself to do it because you are gorgeous, magnetic, and inspiring.
    toanwrath said:

My Half-Orc is tempted to rip you limb from limb, but he just can't bring himself to do it because you are gorgeous, magnetic, and inspiring.

Ditto.
    Ken said:

They won't fight.. End of story

Hmmm... yeah... all the comments here appear to be reassuring about that.
    Good.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Unless they've added something different, Eldoth is the only person Shar-teel will attack eventually. He's pretty good though (just lose his baggage else where if you want, he won't mind, AT ALL). His dex is kind of low, but he can make poisoned arrows and is thus still a damn nice archer, especially if you can spare the gloves of dex for him (the only difference between 12-18 dex is +2 hit, though the extra +2 hit/damage from the bracers of archery would work better, imo).
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    I took a look in infinity explorer, and it does look like Dorn and Shar Teel are supposed to fight each other (not to the death though) and it just doesnt work. Looked some more, Dorn says something about almost everyone when he does his "don't trust anyone thing", everyone except Ajantis and Yeslick at least.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Dynaheir is also Lawful Good. He doesnt trust her.
    Shandyr said:

I think in general Dorn doesn't trust anyone but himself and his master.

I think he expresses his distrust of various partymembers to show that - and NOT to display any specific distrust against any particular partymember.

And he will pretty much explain later on how he has come to distrust everyone but himself.

I don't like Dorn so much. I like Evil folks who are actually relatable and understandable in their motivation, misguided or not. Dorn is just evil to be evil. I like that he feels the need to punish those who are betrayers; but he then feels the need to mistrust the entire world because of the actions of a few.

I understand why they chose Neutral Evil now. He is Lawful Evil by his insistence on killing betrayers, and yet he is Chaotic Evil because he enjoys bloodshed. That denotes a middle ground. Finally, he's a self-obsessed dickbag who talks AT you rather than WITH you it seems, which further denotes Neutral Evil as he is selfish.

I believe his need to mistrust the entire world because of the actions of a few shows how naïve and immature he is. His 15 Wisdom is a blatant lie.
    edited December 2012
    Funny. People whine all the time about characters being poorly designed because "they are good for the sake of being good," and yet everyone agrees that Dorn's "being evil for the sake of being evil" attitude is his best trait.

His poor characterization doesn't get a free pass in my book just for originality, sorry.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Funny, I've never once heard anyone say they dislike good characters for the sake of being good.

Anyway, I can see Dorn as having 15 wisdom. His experiences have shown him that having trust in people can be a major downfall, and I imagine he's exploited that in the past before. He sees the party as untrustworthy, but doesn't go around killing them all because he knows they're helpful to his goals. He may be bloodthirsty, but he's also cautious, such as when you're encountering the undead before Kellyn.

At least to me, he doesn't seem evil for the sake of evil. He seems evil because evil gets results.