Skip to content

Permanent Constitution Loss (*spoilers*)

SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
edited January 2013 in Not An Issue
I'm not entirely sure when this happened, but Paladin's Constitution has gone from 18 to 17. I'm just traipsing around after Naskel Mines so I am not very far in.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    edited December 2012
    My main character has seemingly just lost a point from his constitution I've just done Nashkel mines and I'm wondering what on earth could have done this, and can it be fixed?
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • ElizabethSterlingElizabethSterling Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2012
    There's a specific magic weapon that does that IIRC... what are you armed with/what have you been armed with?
  • BeastmanBeastman Member Posts: 42
    Do you have some of the tainted ore with you?
  • ArabaniArabani Member Posts: 25
    Are you a mage and had familiar? When your familiar dies, you lose 1 constitution permanently.
    TJ_Hooker
  • HoiusHoius Member Posts: 27
    I think this also happened to me. @Beastman - is it really because of the tainted ore? I picked up a lump to bring to Nashkel's mayor as proof, together with a "Vial of mysterious liquid". Turns out I didn't need them and just carried it around for nothing...
  • BeastmanBeastman Member Posts: 42
    Hoius said:

I think this also happened to me. @Beastman - is it really because of the tainted ore? I picked up a lump to bring to Nashkel's mayor as proof, together with a "Vial of mysterious liquid". Turns out I didn't need them and just carried it around for nothing...

I thought so, but after diffing in memories and web-sites, the contaminated ore seems only to affect your weapons (at least in original BG1)
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156
    Hmmm I'm a Paladin, so no familiar loss. I am rocking the Two-Handed Sword +1 from the ogres in the area north of the Carnival. I also have no contaminated ore, I may have picked some up but promptly dropped it again.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Are you wearing the Claw of Kazgaroth? That gives -2.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    After further searching... I am convinced you must have drank the Vial of Mysterious Liquid in Nashkel Mines. And let me guess... you're a Cavalier arent you?
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    Vial of Mysterious Liquid ... keep away from children ; P
    MERLANCEThe_New_RomanceKirinaldoDiscoCat
  • MikkelMikkel Member Posts: 86
    etagloc said:

Vial of Mysterious Liquid ... keep away from children ; P

... and Minsc

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Drinking the vial of mysterious liquid will reduce your Constitution by 1.
    TJ_Hookerelminster
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    The vial of mysterious liquid looks identical to an antidote potion, so you could have drank it by mistake.
  • berninicaco3berninicaco3 Member Posts: 15
    I have a cavalier, who at some point lost 2 of his points of constitution! 16 now instead of 18. I have an earlier save to prove that he once had 18, and no, I can't find any cursed objects (nor is there the curse icon over the portrait), that would explain the loss of 2 constitution. Can ghouls permanently drain constitution? It's not even colored differently to suggest a modified value!
    Not entirely sure when it happened. Between level 1 and 3, for sure! Just noticed it.

Has this happened to anyone else?

How do I fix this? Even if it means using a "cheat" to correct my missing stat points! I tried looking up "baldur's gate enhanced cheats" but didn't find much: unless you can point me to a clear list/guide.

thanks!!
    -Bernard
    deathsfeet
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited January 2013
    Did you drink any vials of mysterious liquid from the Nashkel mines? They look just like antidotes, but lower your Constitution by 1.

As for reversing it, you can try Shadowkeeper or the console. If you go with the console, the command is
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("book03")
    Make two books, identify them, and then use them to raise your Constitution back to what it was.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    AAaaaaaaaha....I've tried that liquid a couple of times but never noticed any effect.
    Thanks for the information.
  • berninicaco3berninicaco3 Member Posts: 15
    hahahaha! OK-- yes! I drank two bottles. I quicksaved, figured I'd have some fun and watch my character die an agonizing death and... didn't notice an effect! thanks. Will "cheat" for some books back. Wish I'd noticed that effect (or googled 'vial mysterious liquid') before passing it off as a non-effect
  • deathsfeetdeathsfeet Member Posts: 6
    Jalily said:

Did you drink any vials of mysterious liquid from the Nashkel mines? They look just like antidotes, but lower your Constitution by 1.

As for reversing it, you can try Shadowkeeper or the console. If you go with the console, the command is

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("book03")
    Make two books, identify them, and then use them to raise your Constitution back to what it was.
    Thanks for this lol. Two decades playing and never bothered with a mage main. Was ready to go back to bashing things instead if I couldn't find a way to fix my mage. I've been using my rabbit familiar as a lure, to pull all mobs i can find into a stink cloud and massacre with ranged attacks, and leaving the rabbit in the cloud to bite everybody since it seems unaffected by the stink... sometimes they wake up and get in a lucky blow tho. So now my Con is sitting at 1, so if my rabbit dies, so do I even at full health.

This cheat will help me set things straight... they should've put a big red banner over the mage classes warning about the familiar. Had no idea I lost anything if it died but the extra hp.
    Is there a limit on how much you can restore with this method? Or a certain number of books you can use before you need to lvl up to use more? I mentioned I was permanently dropped to only 1 point on Con. Used 10 books and got back up to level 11 Con, and now the books don't work any more. I use them, they vanish and say I'm boosted, I check my stats and it's still a red 11. My Con was 16 before and I just want to get back to that, and forget about ever calling another familiar. Permanent Con loss so easily incurred, and right from level 1, is just sad.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited June 2014
    I think it's because the penalty from your familiar getting killed is treated as a temporary modifier, rather than a permanent adjustment to the CON stat. So as far as the game was concerned, your base CON score was still at 16 even though your effective score was at 1. After using a bunch of tomes, your base score is at 25 (the maximum), which is why it doesn't work when using additional tomes. It should be possible to remove the CON-lowering effect from your character using EE Keeper.
    deathsfeet
    edited June 2014
    Right on, I'll try that out. I've tried remove disease and curse, sleeping, and restarting game but 11 Con remains my max. I summoned up another familiar and had it die to observe effect, I dropped to 10 Con, but at least the death of the familiar won't cause an insta-death for me too now. I'll have to try out that EE Keeper to see if I can get back to just 16. Let ya know if it works. Thanks

*update*

Alright. So EE Keeper was a little tricky. Had to use V. 1.0.2.1, newer version just crashed repeatedly. Managed to edit the save, looks like it did register the increase by the books and my Con was sitting at 25, though in-game it shows my stat at 11. I altered my Con in EE Keeper to 16.

After entering game my stat page shows the Con sitting at 2 after adjusting to 16 Con in EE Keeper. Tried suiciding two rabbits, and I insta-died on the second rabbit death.

Is there a way to fix this so both EE Keeper and the game itself register the same Con. Because even though EE Keeper shows 16, the game still seems to be acting as if it's still just 2 Con.

Or is this just a glitch I'll have to live with, or start over from the beginning to avoid?

Thanks for the help though, EE Keeper looks like a pretty cool little program to play with even if my current prob is unresolvable :p

Okay, just had to open my eyes and notice an Affects tab in EE Keeper. Removing all the negative Con and Hp stats got me back to 16 in-game. Thanks again!
    Post edited by deathsfeet on