Skip to content

[(BG1) Inconsistency] Flaming Fist Battle Wizard (FLAMWIZ.CRE) treated as 1st-level caster (0629)

IgneousIgneous Member Posts: 368
edited August 2012 in Fixed
Current behaviour: Flaming Fist Battle Wizards (FLAMWIZ.CRE) are treated as 1st-level casters when casting mage spells. As a result, the sizeable complements of Magic Missiles and Chromatic Orbs on which they rely are rendered eminently harmless.

Suggested behaviour: Since FLAMWIZ.CRE is listed as level 7/7/1 in NearInfinity, I would recommend the wizards be treated as 7th-level casters, instead.

Games affected: BG1, BGEE.

Notes: This bug remains an issue as of Build 0629.
Post edited by Bhryaen on
AndreaColomboBhryaen

Comments

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    I'll be interested to see what they do here. He doesn't cast spells right because his class is FLAMING_FIST and not MAGE, but his class needs to be FLAMING_FIST, or he won't be treated as a law-enforcement officer (a lot of creatures are scripted to attack red-circled creatures, unless the red-circled's class is FLAMING_FIST).
    Bhryaen
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Potentially fixed - Added Flaming_Fist to the wizard level detection function
    Cuv
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @SethDavis oooh! Nice!
    @SethDavis
    Maybe you should add INNOCENT as well, in that case, since that is the other special class. And then there is priest level detection.
    @Wisp - Is there anything special involved with the innocent or should it be treated the same as the spellcasters?
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    To be honest, i think any non PC-class casters should simply use their level as caster level.
    edited July 2012
    @SethDavis
    I was just thinking whatever you did for FLAMING_FIST you should do for INNOCENT, since they are alike in many ways. For example, I don't know how extensively Gorion's death scene has been reworked, but the reason he was casting gimpy magic missiles before was that his class was INNOCENT. But Avenger's suggestion isn't bad either, and may be preferable to us poor saps without access to the source code.
    edited July 2012
    OK, I'll see if I can swing that then.

[EDIT] Ok, now the default case (if the class doesn't match any PC class) will treat the character as a wizard when finding the wizard level
    Post edited by SethDavis on
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Yeah, I like @Avenger_teambg's suggestion as well, but we should definitely be looking out for unintended consequences. :)
    SethDavis
    Well, if they cast spells their level is spell caster level, otherwise their class would be some multiclass.
    I'm not sure if @SetDavis will find their wizard level, though :) Unless the 'find wizard level code' will also take stats[LEVEL] as wizard level for classes other than PC classes. And then we are back to square 1.
    Single classed creatures have one single level (stats[LEVEL]).
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Confirmed Fixed in Build 0803

I tested this in 2 ways:

I CLUAConsole'd a FLAMWIZ and its Chromatic Orb stunned me and Magic Missile produced 4 missiles.

I went on a murderous rampage in Baldur's Gate and the Flaming Fist Battle Wizard that spawned also had the same behaviour.
    SethDavis
    Confirmed fixed - guy has a casting level but retains the reputation impact on kill.