Skip to content

Black Background Screen - ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (SOLVED)

DantesDantes Member Posts: 15
edited December 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
Hi,

Everything works fine until I start the game: I can create a character fully, see the intro text, but when the quest starts, the screen where the character and world are supposed to be is black. I see the menu screens, I can go into the inventory screens, I can see my spells, etc... I even here sounds when I try and move my character, but the world screen is all black.

It's quite frustrating. I'm really not a PC whiz either, so not sure what to do.... Anyone have any tips or a similar problem?
Post edited by Dantes on

Comments

• DantesDantes Member Posts: 15
    Using Windows Vista btw
  • lsanchezojolsanchezojo Member Posts: 4
    the same problem... i use windows 7...any solution?
    i change to windows xp and work fine!
    Sorry for the dumb question, but how did you change from one windows version to the other?
  • MrZZMrZZ Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I think he means: Right click on Baldurs gate.exe --> properties --> compatibility --> run in compatibility mode: Windows XP (Service Pack 3)

@lsanchezojo did you change anything else? Because this doesn't work for me. I get the frame when I'm in the game but the middle part is just black. I can move via the map and access all the character, journal, etc. options. Copatibility mode doesn't work for me, did you alter anything else? I updated my gfx drivers and reinstalled but the problem is still there :(
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @Dantes Have you tried changing your OpenGL version to '1' in the baldur.ini? That's a legacy video card you've got.
    @agris I haven't tried that yet, how exactly do you do this? Thanks, I'm kind of tech challenged it would seem...
    @mr. zz Sounds like exactly the kind of issue I'm having. Quite frustrating!! So close to playing the game, yet so darn far
    @Dantes no problem, look at the first post in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7385/important-regarding-intel-hardware-driver-issues-slow-game-performance/p1

If it works in windowed mode (that's what 'fullscreen', '0', does), then you can press ALT+ENTER when the game window is selected, and it will go to full screen. try out window at first, make sure you can get into the game. Also, have you download the Visual Studio 2008 package? First post here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8291/priority-bug-crash-on-game-start/p1
    YES!!
    @agris I finally got it to work. I'm not sure if it was adding some text in the .ini file or the latest patch that did it, but it works now.
    Still a few issues:
    -The mouse cursor disappears when I play in full screen and I go into the inventory (works fine in windowed mode)
    - The cinematic scenes sounds stutters.
    @Dantes Nice! Glad you got it running. Who knows with all the tweaks. You should try disabling or enabling hardware cursor in the graphics options in game, it might help with that. also, the sound issue is covered in the forums somewhere, I think you need some OpenAL dll file dropped into your BGEE folder but I can't find the post atm.
    Sorry. I install Windows XP. Later, i install the game again in windows xp.
  • AshkayelAshkayel Member Posts: 2
    Thank you!