Skip to content

no love for iPad 1?

jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
Multiple times on this forum Beamdog assured that BGEE works well on iPad 1 (minus the zoom feature, which would take too much computing power).

Now i bought it.

And BGEE wants me to have iOS v.6.

That's not possible on iPad 1...

Or am i missing something? Is there a way to actually run it?

Comments

• The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited December 2012
    Try having a look at Trent Oster's twitter account (https://twitter.com/TrentOster) - he's talking about iPad 1 a lot.

I believe the problem is simply that while being very expensive and advertised as powerful, iPad 1 basically performs worse than the computers we had 14 years ago when BG1 came out. It just doesn't have enough memory for this game.

I believe Beamdog will try their best, but I'm not sure whether such hardware obstacles can be overcome elegantly.
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    edited December 2012
    never liked tweeter. But thanks @The_New_Romance. Will have to wait. Or will kindly ask my wife to lend her iPad2 :P
    The_New_Romance
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I'm not a Twitter fan, either, but it has been quite worth it to garner info from Oster himself. He doesn't post that much on this forum. iPad 2 should be fine, if she doesn't need it for any special iPad 2 tricks, you might be able to swap it for a while ;)
  • shtkckshtkck Member Posts: 22
    Fairly disappointed with this. Trent has said again and again BG will work on the iPad 1.
  • AlarianAlarian Member Posts: 8
    It does work. For 40 minutes...
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    We're committed to support for the iPad 1. We're going to keep working at it until we've got it.

In terms of performance, the game works well - it's the memory that's the kicker. We had to make a judgement call as to what would be the better solution: holding off on support for it at the get-go, or giving iPad 1 users a crash-y experience, as when the device starts to run out of memory it kills processes (meaning, BG:EE quits without saving properly leading to lost gameplay).

All I can do is apologize personally, and echo Trent's sentiments in the announcement above on behalf of the company.
    jolly_bb
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    @Nathat good luck guys with getting it done sometime soon. While i could play with my wife's iPad2 it's still a no-go for me in terms of being portable (@home i can use laptop anyways).

In the end i might just go for new iPad (not that soon though :))

By the way: as much as i'm feeling a bit down i also understand, as iPad 1 is out of support (by Apple) for quite some time already and, hell, no one should expect miracles.
  • w162w162 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    @jolly_bb It is a game about miracle, isn't it? ;)
    @Nathan I totally understand the difficulty for fitting in the limited memory of iPad 1. Thank you so much for all the effort. I completely believe you could make it happen, and is eagerly waiting for that :)
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Yesterday, Trent Oster tweeted, "Yes the new build will support 5.1" (To say it is 5.1 compatible, it has to run on the iPad 1)
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    Cerevant said:

Yesterday, Trent Oster tweeted, "Yes the new build will support 5.1" (To say it is 5.1 compatible, it has to run on the iPad 1)

Sorry mate, 5.1 compatible doesn't automatically mean iPad 1 compatible. There might be other issues than just the os version.
    Actually, it does. There is no way to say in the app store that a program is iOS 5.1 compatible, but not iPad 1 compatible. If you want to release for iOS 5.1 it has to work on the iPad 1. (Apple Rules)

Overhaul has committed to releasing for iPad 1, and as far as I'm aware, they haven't backed off that commitment.
    davemoD3V11_
  • D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
    @Cerevant is 100% right, the delay with the release for iOS 5.1 was because iPad 1 had some memory issues with BGEE and aple will not allow any apps that are compatible with an iOS but not compatible with the hardware, meaning that if it runs on iOS 5.1 it must run on iOS 5.1 on the iPad 1, and if any of there tests fail they will not release it on there App Store.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Well, there is one way: require a camera. They could've added a feature to let you take your picture and use it as your character portrait.
  • Garrison64Garrison64 Member Posts: 72

Well, there is one way: require a camera. They could've added a feature to let you take your picture and use it as your character portrait.

No way I want my ugly mug in there spoiling a great game. I play these things to escape reality not to be reminded of it. ha ha

lunar
  • TerminalManTerminalMan Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2013

I play these things to escape reality not to be reminded of it. ha ha

My job consists of inventory management and fighting off savages. My escape from my job consists of inventory management and fighting off savages. It's like I'm trapped in some form of paradoxical hell!
    Cerevant said:

Actually, it does. There is no way to say in the app store that a program is iOS 5.1 compatible, but not iPad 1 compatible. If you want to release for iOS 5.1 it has to work on the iPad 1. (Apple Rules)

There are games that are pre-6.0 compatible that are ipad 2 and up only. Machinarium, The Walking Dead, and Galaxy On Fire are a few off the top of my head. Am I missing something here?

I'm not an iOS developer, just passing along what has been said. Are you sure you can't buy those titles on the iPad 1, in spite of the developer's warnings?

Anyway, back on topic:

Trent Tweeted 4 days ago:
    "We're uploading the new 2012 build to the iTunes App Store with 5.1 support. The iPad 1 is at the memory limit. We really suggest an iPad 2"

So in two days or so, you will be able to buy and download a version of BGEE for iPad 1, but you might not be thrilled with its performance.
  • VintrastormVintrastorm Member Posts: 216
    It seems I (might) stand corrected.