Skip to content

Manual

Hey guys,

I started to play BG on iPad (4th gen) two minutes ago.
During character, creation for the tutorial I wondered about all those skills and abilitites and so on.
Is there a game manual to download or inside the app or sth. else?

I have not played BG yet, so as kinda noob I really appreciate some help.
Don't want to choose just 'somerhing'. Furthermore I want to understand the game mechanics.

Thanks in advance,
fachexot

Comments

• BigityBigity Member Posts: 98
    There is one up on the beamdog website I think, look for a thread un the General forum, should be a link
  • fachexotfachexot Member Posts: 3
    Can't find.
  • FysherFysher Member Posts: 3
    Found it. I have no idea why the iPad app doesn't link to this.

http://www.baldursgate.com/manuals.en.html

fachexot
  • fachexotfachexot Member Posts: 3
    Thank you very much.
  • paradsecarparadsecar Member Posts: 3
    How imperative is it to read the manual? Can I get by without it?
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited December 2012

How imperative is it to read the manual? Can I get by without it?

You don't need to read a chemistry textbook to mix chemicals. But chances are, you'll get your hands burnt if you don't.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    If you understand AD&D (First? Second? edition? I forget...I think this was first) rules, you're fine. If you understand AD&D classes and races and their benefits, or if you really don't care and just have a player concept in mind, you really don't have to read the manual.

If you want to min/max your character and/or create an "optimal" character you're better off reading the rules. If you already have some understanding of the system and/or don't really care, you can probably get by without it. If I remember correctly the game was pretty intuitive.

Take a look at some of the other threads, however, there are some "challenges" with the game at this point with regards to finding transition points between levels.

--Illydth
    I don't know anything about any rules. I've played Dungeon Hunter so I should be fine. Is this game like that and Pocket Heroes?

Yes, I'm joking. The manual is quite verbose and I have a tendency to forget things, so are there specific sections I should focus on, at least initially?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    All of the race and class mechanics are there when you create your character, so the manual won't provide any additional information there.

The manual will be useful for rolling ability scores; there's a couple tables at the back of the second manual that describes most of the effects that each ability has based on its value.

Other than that, it's mainly there to add some flavor to the world, so read it at your leisure.
    OMG you had me @paradsecar...I read that first statement and I'm like "Oh dear, this isn't going to end well."

To really answer you, you probably don't need to read any of the manual if you don't want to. There's not much in it that is required reading to play. The tutorial will take you through pretty much what you need. If you already know what the ability scores do, you're probably GTG.
    Awesome, thanks for the help. Yeah, I have a friend that is an old BG vet and he said the same thing: understand the tables at the end of the manual.

My internet connection is so slow I could probably read the whole thing cover-to-cover while the game downloads anyway. :-)
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    I downloaded the manuals into PDF Expert, but I doubt I will read when I could just play instead. Perhaps now while it is downloading I will take a look.

I played Baldur's Gate 2 ages ago, but never the first BG.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I would definitely encourage you to scan through the manuals, if only to see their new layout. There's an easter egg or two in there as well, if you read between the lines...
    Oh man...now you have me curious. Can you give us a hint page range? :)
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I downloaded the manual when I bought the PC edition and saved it on my iPad, but I think it's a huge oversight not to provide a link IN THE GAME for people who may not visit this site. You actually have to trawl through the forums to find it.
    That's not a good business strategy, there's gonna be a lot of people needing the manual and not knowing it even exists...
    Deefachexot