Skip to content

What weapon to give Neera?

She is about to hit lv 6 and get a new weapon proficiency point. I was planing to give her the magic crossbow from the thunder hammer smithy but it's not usable by wild mages. What do I give her instead? Darts? Sling?

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I usually give mages slings. Darts have a fairly short range. In one game I gave Imoen darts, and she was way too close to the fighting, standing in front of everyone with normal ranged weapons.
  • VissiousVissious Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2012
    Sling is the all-purpose weapon for people who shouldn't be using weapons; equip one, saddle the npc with three full slots of bullets and forget about it entirely for the rest of the game. They won't do *much*, but they will do *a bit*, which is a lot better than *nothing*.

Darts, on the other hand, are potentially quite dangerous; two attacks a round with a solid chance to actually hit, and they come in different flavours too. Poison darts, for example, are quite brutal on low hit-point targets (read: enemy mages). The downside to all of this is that you will be micro-managing your ammunition almost constantly, as you can only throw as many darts as you can hold in your weapon slots, and a mage only gets two of those., and at two attacks a round they'll burn through ammo fast.

Personally, I'd opt for darts for BG1 for the simple reason that at such low levels your average mage is going to have only a handful of spells to cast each day and once they're gone, she's not contributing anything meaningful to the party anymore. With darts in hand, however, she makes for a perfectly acceptable anti-caster, able to interrupt the spell-casting of any mages and the like and provide additonal ranged damage to other targets that you will actually notice.
  • gustonguston Member Posts: 70
    Have any magical returning throwing daggers been adden to this game?
    I haven't *seen* any, but if you go back a few pages on these forums there was a definitive list of all new items, weapons and armours added to this edition posted by a member here.
    Looks like there are no new throwing daggers. I guess its darts for Neera.
    And knowing Neera, she'll wild-surge and turn them into chickens and popcorn. Have fun with that! :P
  • Stargazer5781Stargazer5781 Member Posts: 183
    Dunno why you'd want to go with darts or slings, she's so good in melee ;)

For real though, go with sling. Darts take up more inventory space 'cause they don't count as ammo, and they don't go above +1.
  • JoeWalkerJoeWalker Member Posts: 75
    Sling!
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Darts are also limited in quantity. I've actually bought merchants out of their stock of normal darts.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    I prefer darts for mages, more attacks per round = more chances of a critical hit, which for mages with their lousy THAC0 is often the only way you're going to damage some enemies.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    Last time I checked the range is or should be identical to slings + 3 attacks/round instead of 1. (is that even implemented in BG/BG2?)
    She is currently carrying around ~2000 Darts +1 (larger stacks + Stores Sell Larger Stacks of Items mod).. I think I won't deplete all of them ..

WIsh there would be some returning dart and/or throwing dagger!
    Sight range is only 30' in BG, so the range of weapons does not make a huge amount of difference, as the furthest range you can fire from is 30'

Sight range is only 30' in BG, so the range of weapons does not make a huge amount of difference, as the furthest range you can fire from is 30'

Opps! Once I read that the range is shorter for darts I used the proficiancy point on slings. Gave the the Sling of Unnering Accuracy. With +2 bullets and Xarrnous second Sword Arm gauntlets she has a Thac0 of 10. Thats pretty good right?

I've got an unrelated question. Is there anything in the game that needs a +2 weapon to damage it?
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    I personally prefer darts over slings any day. 3attacks in a round and you have 3times the ability to disrupt enemy spellcasting.
    guston said:

Opps! Once I read that the range is shorter for darts I used the proficiancy point on slings. Gave the the Sling of Unnering Accuracy. With +2 bullets and Xarrnous second Sword Arm gauntlets she has a Thac0 of 10. Thats pretty good right?
    Yes, but I'd rather give the best slings to my cleric (currently Viconia) or Montaron, as their THAC0 base will be higher