Skip to content

Default script makes archers charge into melee

Comments

• PerusoePerusoe Member Posts: 46
    P.S. Since the original Baldur's Gate Script files seem to work in Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, the Script Compilers for Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast will probably work in creating custom Scripts for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. (If you're into that sort of thing).
    Okay, I've just tried using the original Baldur's Gate II Scripts in Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. They work, but they're kind of flakey. That is to say, sometimes they seem to work and sometimes they don't work as I would expect them to. My test, however, was not extensive. I went back to train with Obe in Candlekeep. I assigned different Scripts to different NPCs and my character, other than the Custom (Default) Script I usually select. Some characters performed well. Others would attack and then stop.

For now, I'm going to go back to using the original Baldur's Gate Scripts and test those thoroughly.
  • PieSnatcherPieSnatcher Member Posts: 4
    I also experience this bug. Xzar and Neera have had chronic suicide issues with slings- rather annoying. I've had to cycle through different scripts to find the least buggy ones.
    I've created a zipfile that contains the .bs script files from the original BG: TotSC and BG2: ToB. In the zipfile, I've also included the Script Compiler from both of those original games. The zipfile size is 809 Kb.

Now, if I could just find a reputable and reliable, free file-hosting website to upload it to, I would be able to share it with you. :P
  • GrievanceGrievance Member Posts: 13
    Would the scripts from Icewind Dale 2 work as well for copying over into BG:EE?
    Grievance said:

Would the scripts from Icewind Dale 2 work as well for copying over into BG:EE?

Hmm... I don't see why not. In fact, any Forgotten Realms Script files with a .bs extention should work. Or I should say, be compatible. I would suggest trying any or all of the Scripts you have and then deleting the ones that don't work or you don't like from the BGEE installation/scripts folder.

In the meantime, for those of you who don't have the original games, I've created a Dropbox account and uploaded a zipfile that includes the Script files from the original Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast and Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal. I've also included the Script Compiler from both those games.

You can download the zipfile by clicking the link.

(I'm new to Dropbox, so let me know if you have problems downloading the file).
    I owe everyone an apology!

I've been using the original Scripts from Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast in BGEE and in some areas or instances, they don't seem to be working any better than the BGEE Scripts. You're still welcome to download and use the Scripts in the zipfile linked above. Maybe you'll have better luck.

It's really annoying to watch Iomen run up to an enemy and attack it with her Bow. :P Maybe I'll put down BGEE for awhile and go back to playing the original. :(
    edited December 2012
    Since I'm having so much trouble with any of the Scripts I've tried, I decided to put the BGEE Scripts back in the installation/scripts folder. The Custom (Default) Scripts don't seem to work for me as I would expect them to. So, I've been continuing with my experimentations and tests.

On my Halfling Thief character I am currently using the Ranged Script as others suggested above.
  • RANGED: The character will attack any enemy when he sees them with the missile weapon he is most proficient with. He will try to keep his distance from enemies, but if he's attacked in melee combat, he will switch to a melee weapon.
    (ARANG)
  • I may end up changing this Script because of "He will try to keep his distance from enemies...". For now, it's working better than the Custom (Default) Script.

I've changed Iomen's Custom (Default) Script to the Passive Thief Script.
  • THIEF PASSIVE: The Thief will not move to engage enemies. If he is attacked from a distance he will reciprocate with missile weapons. If an enemy engages him in melee combat, then he will draw his melee weapon and attack.
    (THIEF3)
  • She seems to be doing better with it, but it's still too early to tell.

Since I keep restarting my game to do these tests, I've just reached the Friendly Arm Inn. Traveling with Imoen and me is Xzar, Montaron, Khalid and Jaheira. Xzar is currently using his Custom (Default) Script. I may end up assigning him the Custom (None) Script. I usually control the Spell-casting myself anyway and I don't plan on keeping him or Montaron passed reaching Nashkel, (if I keep them that long). Montaron is also still using the Custom (Default) Script. Again, he's not much of a concern since he won't be with us long.

I currently have Khalid using the Passive Fighter Script. It seems the Passive Scripts are working in BGEE more like the Custom (Default) Scripts did in the original BG, but again, it's too soon to tell.
  • FIGHTER PASSIVE (Ranger, Paladin): The Fighter will not move to engage enemies. If he is attacked from a distance he will reciprocate with missile weapons. If an enemy engages him in melee combat, then he will draw his melee weapon and attack.
    (FIGHTER3)
  • I currently have Jaheira using the Passive Cleric Script.
  • CLERIC PASSIVE (Druid): The Cleric will not cast any spells (unless he is ordered). If he is attacked from a distance then he will reciprocate with missile weapons. If an enemy engages him in melee combat, then he will draw his melee weapon and attack.
    (CLERIC3)
  • Of course, I intervene with the Scripts. To me, the Scripts just ensure that when a character performs an attack and I'm concentrating on a different character that all my characters will continue attacking and not just stand there. I also don't want my weaker characters running into a mob of hostiles, trying to tank for my characters who actually are tanking for the party.

In any event, I will continue with this setup, trying different Scripts when others don't satisfy. Who knows, maybe I'll even mess around with the Script Compilers again and see if I can figure out how to write my own.
    Post edited by Perusoe on
  • rderekprderekp Member Posts: 46
    If anyone is curious, I am using the Gibberlings 3 eSeries scripts with BGEE, and they seem to work okay (you have to do some fiddling to make WeiDU recognize where the game files are, but that’s discussed here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6950/player-how-to-getting-mods-to-work-on-bgee/p1). The only issue is that some of the dialog is messed up, but that doesn’t surprise me given that it was written for the dialog.tlk in BG2, and it’s been changed for BG:EE. But it seems to perform all right, or at least as well as it did in BG2. :)
  • DafojkDafojk Member Posts: 111
    Just bumping to see if this is something beeing worked on ? 4 game updates in at still no fix it seems.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    Try changing the script, happened to me by 'accident' cause I dropped Kivan for Rasaads quest and after I got the girdle I added him. His script got changed back to "Custom(default)" and he went into melee despite having a bow, while my other characters, who have a modified script behave normal. The general attack or any other script works too.

I decompiled the custom(default) script and the condition is to move always (!) to the enemy if farther away than 5 feet, despite what weapon is equipped.
    So it's just a script bug and no gamebug.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    Tl;DR i dont know if this has been mentioned yet but justset their script to ranged thief.. Problem solved
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Current behavior: After Centeol and her spiders were slain, Montaron and Imoen (both equipped with ranged weapons) ran to her corpse as if to attack her in melee. Imoen also stopped searching for traps every other second as if still in combat. I sent them away, they went back instantly. I equipped melee weapons, everything was fine. Back to bow and sling, they started running up to the corpse.

Expected behavior: Every NPC should recognize Centeol is dead. Also, being equipped with ranged weapons shouldn't make NPCs run up to their target, but attack from a distance.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The problem with ranged script is documented. I've switched characters to Ranged and it still does the same thing. Party AI off solves it, but raises micro-management. Haven't figured out a long-term solution.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Bump
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Okay, sorry. I didn't think it was the same bug as I knew that the ranged script was broken, but I've never encountered NPCs running towards an already dead enemy time and again because of this.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    @reedmilfam

hmm, wanna give my script a try? It's slightly modified by weimar & co. snippets but very small. Also a cleric, whose Turn Undead is enabled should stand still and do _nothing_ otherwise it gets always disabled and is useless.
    Further it prioritizes if under attack and switches to this target.
    Else it's simply wack-a-mole and melee catch up to visible targets.
    And for ranged (if it's working as intended): if enemies are _not_ visible (>30 normal ranged weapon & personal fog-of-war for each npc) but combat started, move to leader _but_ stop as soon as an enemy is visible and attack the next visible target. In that case, cause am still working on it, if the leader is also a ranged attacker *whistle* but party order can be sorted.
    Might check for the parties' strongest person instead..but I usually have all melee on top and typicall y my strongest is leader, if not used for talking.

The ranged part is still experimental, they got stuck on borders..but that's not my fault, else everyone is doing at least something and not moving into enemies' faces :)

what it not does:
    - no potions
    - no weapon switching
    - no spells

http://www.valkyries.de/stuff2/general.zip

Just put the *.bs file in ..\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\scripts\
    *.baf is just the source...

[should be at the bottom in the scripts ingame = 'Custom(aGeneral)']
  • nicknicknicknick Member Posts: 3
    Not sure if anyone else has this issue, but my two range characters actually walk up to the enemy and then release there arrow, when they auto target someone.

When I click on the person they should attack they do it fine, but when they kill him and auto target someone else they walk up to them and shoot them point blank in the face.

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    This bug/issue/misunderstanding/whatever people call it, has been reported several times (and observed by me several times) but the response has been "stop using AI" or the like.

All I know is it didn't do this in vanilla (with or without AI) so hopefully it eventually gets recognized as a legitimate issue.

Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    The default scripts should definitely be looked at. Most new players won't start playing with scripts, and it is definitely a very annoying bug while playing.
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2012
    The scripts are annoying too.. sometimes my fighters will attack people who are no longer confused and the only way to fix it is to turn AI off and back on. I also set imoen to thief ranged so she'd stop attacking point blank range with a bow and now she constantly hides in shadows which makes her stop moving. This forces me to constantly click whenever im exploring so imoen doesn't fall behind >_>
    Post edited by Riolathel on
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    I've noticed that my party members tend to charge enemies with ranged weapons in hand, and attack when they're in melee distance. I mostly use "default" but "ohfight," "fighter agressive," and "thief passive" also display this behavior.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    done
    Post edited by Avenger_teambg on
    edited December 2012
    done
    edited December 2012
    done
  • James93James93 Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2012
    What Happens: I've found that Imoen runs up to enemies as if she's going to punch them instead of attacking them with her Bow from Range. Imoen is the only person in my Party to engage the enemy before i give the command, usually i let the enemy run to me before i set my characters to attack, usually to clear my head, but Imoen runs in there as if to punch them (not even attacking with her bow).
    When i tell her to attack, she does attack with her Bow though, but when the person is dead, she will run up to the next guy as if to punch him, i have to manually tell her to attack every time otherwise she runs in and inevitably gets herself killed by a wraith or something that stuns...

What Should Happen: Imoen should stand still until i give the Command to attack, or even just attack at Range instead of running in there first.
    Note: None of my other 5 characters (Ranged with Slings and Non-Ranged) attack before i give the Command.

Is there a Problem with the Bow in particular as i've never had problems with Slings or Darts?
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    I can confirm it is not strictly a bow problem, as I've had Jaheira join Imoen with her sling.
  • James93James93 Member Posts: 25

I can confirm it is not strictly a bow problem, as I've had Jaheira join Imoen with her sling.

Notice something right there.
    Jaheira with a Sling? O.o
    You know she's a fighter with 2* on Clubs right? Haha