Skip to content

Post your BGEE iPad reviews!

Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
edited December 2012 in iPad (Archive)
Post your iPad review! ---Boo is still downloading, can't hardly wait!

Woohoo it downloaded!

Just starting it up now, will post review later!
Post edited by Space_hamster on

Comments

• FysherFysher Member Posts: 3
    15 minutes here! Boo is wooting.
  • WojtasWojtas Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    I've just started playing and as for now it's great - big thanks to everyone involved in development of iPad version.
    Just one question - are you able to enter the storehouse in prologue?
    Space_hamster
  • FerluciFerluci Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2012
    I'm having difficulty keeping my enthusiasm in check at the office at the moment... :)
    Holy hell how I want to get home!

Ok, so I will edit this post with my findings! First of all, I have to say I am impressed by the menu.
    One tip is that under options it still says "mouse speed" maby this should be adjusted to scroll speed or something? :)

more to come!
    Space_hamster
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    After 5 minutes messing around in the tutorial:

I love it. BG was MADE for ipad, the interface works great. All the tasks that a mouse or keyboard would have done, can now be done by touch. The interface is fluid.

I never played TUTU, however I can see the influence of BGII art assets in BGI, I'll miss the BGI avatars, but oh well. There do appear to be a few rough edges with the interface...perhaps this will be fixed in the forthcoming patches.

Speaking of Avatars...they do look noticeably pixelated when zoomed in to the max. Of course, there is nothing we can do about this, and it actually reminds me of playing the game on my old imac in certain respects. I can live with it though. I LOVE the fact that there is ZERO wait for transitions, its like magic.

Will now have to spend a few agonizing hours creating my character!
    Kirinaldo
  • ExceloidExceloid Member Posts: 1
    I would love to review it, but I must wait for Apple to approve the iOS 5 version. Does anyone have any idea why Apple is so hard to deal with as a developer? I will not upgrade my iPad to iOS 6. Ever.
    Exceloid said:

I would love to review it, but I must wait for Apple to approve the iOS 5 version. Does anyone have any idea why Apple is so hard to deal with as a developer? I will not upgrade my iPad to iOS 6. Ever.

Ever? Why not? iOS6 improved performance on my iPad 3 noticeably.
    Risingsun
  • RunarielRunariel Member Posts: 13
    I like the new interface and look of the game and was very happy to play it. However, I quickly got frustrated with the iPad version. The biggest problem is entering a building or picking something up very small, as there is no such thing as mouseover. There's one door at the Friendly Arm that I did not manage to walk through, for minutes. Moving your group is also something you need to get used to, as you often change the place their walking to if you're trying to move the map while your group is walking. Fights work fine, though I found it frustrating to no longer have the blinking circle under your enemy's feet once you've selected it as the target of your attack. As you unpause, you just have to hope that your click on the enemy was successful. My problems may come from me not using the iPad often; it might get more intuitive with experience, but after a good hour of playing, I decided to stop and wait for the Mac version. For some things a mouse just works a lot better than a finger.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Exceloid said:

It's not Apple, Beamdog has to get it running on the iPad 1.
    Risingsun
  • AldaranAldaran Member Posts: 14
    edited December 2012
    I'm absolutely loving it, it's brilliant on the iPad! I've had one crash in about 6 or more hours of playing. There are a few small issues, like when area of effect with animation spells are in effect he game slows down about half speed until the effect has finished (entanglement, stinking cloud etc) this is on an iPad 2 so it might not be a problem on the newer iPads with more ram. The other issue is doorways without a door don't show up when you press the "tab" button so its very hard to get in some doorways even if you know they are there, next to impossible if you don't. I think these are the only real issues I've had. I'd write more but I'm going back to play!
    Oh, and one more bug, if I click on Boo the game crashes. Beware the miniature giant space hamster!
    Wow, who knew boo had such powers, ability to collapse the universe upon itself!
  • RilburRilbur Member Posts: 54
    The download speed is absolutely wonderful! It should be finished in no more than a year or two!
    nirac
    It took me 7 hours :)
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited December 2012
    Overall the game is great, but there are some quite annoying flaws:
    -Spell descriptions are only viewable if the spellbook is filled.
    -Scrolling works badly if there are selectable items (e.g. proficiencies menu, behaviour menu).
    -Blackouts after minimising and returning to the game.
    -As noted above: picking up small items is nigh impossible. In fact, even selecting units isn't exactly easy.
    @iKrivetko zoom in if you're having issues.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Rilbur said:

@iKrivetko zoom in if you're having issues.

Well, that's quite obvious, isn't it? However, constantly having to zoom in and out makes the gameplay a bit irritating.
    I'd rather they just increase the collision sizes of the models.
    Brude
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    Ferluci said:

I'm having difficulty keeping my enthusiasm in check at the office at the moment... :)
    Holy hell how I want to get home!

Ok, so I will edit this post with my findings! First of all, I have to say I am impressed by the menu.
    One tip is that under options it still says "mouse speed" maby this should be adjusted to scroll speed or something? :)

more to come!

This is my problem, spending a little time at lunch means I didn't even leave Candlekeep (still amazed at the roll I got for my Druid Avenger in under 5min, never thought I'd have to do "how do I spend these last 6 points.")
    @iKrivetko To misquote, 'obvious' is in the eye of the beholder.
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    @Illydth

My main issue is no doubt, the accuracy of clicking and no real feedback on targeting. I think I've targeted a spell at a Gibberling, but instead I'm walking to it. I did find out how to get spell descriptions (click and hold... wait... release, there it is.)

But the finger clicking, sometimes I move and sometimes I slide the screen. It's really hard to tell which will happen, and that can be frustrating.

Still, it's BG and it works on my iPad. I'm thrilled, just with reservations. I think they can improve this over time, give us more feedback in the clicking interface. Also, maybe allow the "tab" function to be sticky (as an on/off instead of click.. release and hope you clicked on the right hay bale.)
  • TaurathTaurath Member Posts: 4
    My multiplayer ipad experience today with 2 friends at work:

Connection: Connected fine to me (over a wireless router), character setting seemed decent.
    My Ipad went to sleep after like 3 minutes if I wasn't actively using the game and it would disconnect them. I feel like this is a bit short, but maybe I can change my ipad settings

Once in game, any time anyone starts a dialog, everyone jumps into it. 4 times during our 2 hour session (mostly in candlekeep) people got stuck in dialog boxes and couldn't do anything until we opened a new box. We couldn't buy items all at once at the shop, we had to do it one at a time. 4 times my friends could only see me (as the host) and themselves, but not the other players, frequently when entering/exiting buildings.

Overall it seems... almost there, but not quite. I wasn't able to keep up my friends enthusiasm for the game and we resolved to wait until some patches come out before we begin to play.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I've found that if I tap to attack, there'll be an audio response from the character, also in the dialog box.
    If nothing happens, I've missed my target.
    The same with thieving, the dialog box will inform if the chest is locked, lock picked successfully or failed.

But I really, really miss being able to see what spells are available to me in combat. It's no use having to go to the spell book and waste time to "hold tap" to see what the spells I have memorized do.
    This ought to be done via the button equilavent of the pc's "TAB" button. (Can't recall what it's called on the iPad).
    This will really put newcomers to the game off. It boggles my mind they haven't thought of a solution to this.

It might also have been a good idea to implement two and three finger touch to different functions, and even double tab to some functions. In fact, now that I think about it, it would have been excellent to be able to just double tab on an icon to get a quick tooltip. Again, it's not rocket science.
    Wow, very insightful reviews. Thinking about the lack of rollover, we almost need another button in the main interface, such as a query button, like what one may find in Word or photoshop, press the '?' Button, then it could allow you to hover over any interface item, spell, chest, door, ect... And give a simple ( no more than a word or two) popup description. This would solve the lack of rollover ( which is impossible for touch) rather nicely. I wonder if the BG engine wold supports feature like this? @trentoster
  • namelessonenamelessone Member Posts: 17
    It started out pretty cool, but as soon as I got a full group, things started to fall apart. Fights feel incredibly unresponsive. Because of lack of cursor, I can't know if I targeted the enemy or clicked on the ground beside him. I already sent my archer to his death this way once =( Commands also feel very unresponsive. Sometimes your characters simply ignore commands, I even had the whole party ignore the "STOP" button several times.

The iPad version needs a LOT more feedback options to compensate for the lack of cursor.
  • ElvisElvis Member Posts: 3
    These UI issues needs to be adressed in order to make this game really enjoyable:

- targeting feedback/confirmation
    - interactable object visualization is implemented, but needs to be turned into a 'toggle' instead of 'keep pressed to invoke' since keeping the TAB key pressed and still moving and clicking the mouse might work on the PC but not on the iPad
    - area entry end exit points require some kind of highlighting and defined 'tab-here-to-enter-or-leave' locations

I will probably curb my enthusiasm until this is remedied and hold on playing this game.
    Man, I played on iPad for 4 hours and it just made me really want to go reinstall BgTutu vanilla.
    Are you using the auto pause options?
  • LazarusNineLazarusNine Member Posts: 44
    I am thoroughly enjoying the game, but I do have one complaint so far about the tutorial (I realise this may not be an issue limited to the iPad). I am completely new to BG, and it would have been helpful having some indication as to what all of the buttons mean DURING the tutorial. For instance, certain action buttons are relatively obscure, and I have to basically go through a process of elimination when trying to find the one I'm meant to be clicking on. Same with spells. The little icons are not particularly useful in describing exactly what the spell does, and I find myself randomly selecting a 'hand' here and an 'arrow' there in order to find the one I'm meant to be using. Perhaps I should spend a bit of time on the forums and with the manual, but if this had been implemented in the tutorial itself, the process would have seemed a lot more intuitive for a new BG'er. As I have played many RPG's over the years, I'm fine with a bit of hunting around, but others' may abandon it out of frustration - just want to make sure BG:EE succeeds, because the effort was immense!

Are you using the auto pause options?

Yeah, autopause on spot enemy. Characters seem to behave better when you give commands in real time for some reason. In pause, they seem to ignore commands sometimes.
  • ReignmakerReignmaker Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2012
    I'm in chapter 2. Overall, I'm pretty pleased and I think BG:EE has been a massive achievement. At this point I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. I'm only going to mention a few of the negatives, just so it's easier to pinpoint what possibly needs to be looked at for patching. If it's not mentioned, you can assume I had no problem. These are the main issues I've seen from playing on an iPad 4.

1) Unresponsiveness. There are buggy moments where I'll enter a room and stuff won't be interactive: npcs, items, etc. I'll be pushing everything but it just isn't selectable. Usually, leaving the room and coming back remedies the problem. Usually.

2) Crashes. I haven't noticed a ton, but it has happened a 2-3 times over 6+ hours of gameplay. Usually when I'm unsuccessfully trying to press on things and there's been no response.

3) Force-fed intro video. This might have happened in the original game, but it makes sense to only play the intro video when someone is starting a new game, not whenever they're selecting single player to load a game.

4) Difficulty of picking up items. Picking up items from fallen foes has become a fine art. It's like a mini-game by itself almost. You have to precisely hit the item just right in order to select it. I have no idea how folks on the 7-inch iPad are doing this, 'cause it's difficult enough on the 10-inch. I almost wish there was an option where you could vacuum up items by walking over them, like (dare I say it?) Diablo 3.

5) Spell effects. Overall it's ok, but there seems to be a few which completely slow down the game. There are times when the frames will literally crawl. This feels strange since I'm using an iPad 4 (should have enough horsepower, right?). The entanglement spell is the biggest culprit that I've noticed. This spell used to be one of my favorites. Not anymore, I don't feel like I can use it on the iPad.

Other than those quibbles, I've been having fun. I plan on buying the extra content, so hopefully the game is successful enough to merit some enduring app support in the future.

• popopopo Member Posts: 13
    Evinfuilt said:

"My main issue is no doubt, the accuracy of clicking and no real feedback on targeting. I think I've targeted a spell at a Gibberling, but instead I'm walking to it. I did find out how to get spell descriptions (click and hold... wait... release, there it is.)

But the finger clicking, sometimes I move and sometimes I slide the screen. It's really hard to tell which will happen, and that can be frustrating."

Evinfuilt said:

@Illydth

My main issue is no doubt, the accuracy of clicking and no real feedback on targeting. I think I've targeted a spell at a Gibberling, but instead I'm walking to it. I did find out how to get spell descriptions (click and hold... wait... release, there it is.)

But the finger clicking, sometimes I move and sometimes I slide the screen. It's really hard to tell which will happen, and that can be frustrating.

Plus 1 million. The gameplay is seriously hampered by a touch interface that isn't really a touch interface at all. This needs serious work.