Skip to content

Paladin attributes feedback

AlequeAleque Member Posts: 149
Hi

Someone said in this topic http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/258273-/59776203 that there will be alot of STR items to find plus the Wizard spell that temporarily maxes my STR to 18, so I rolled a Paladin with following attributes because I wasn't looking for a hardcore build and I'm tired of picking the most optimal mainstream builds:

STR: 14
DEX: 17
CON: 18
INT: 11
WIS: 13
CHA: 18

Bastard Sword ++
Long Sword +
Sword & Shield Style +

My intention was making a charismatic leader which can take alot of hits, but now I keep regretting that I didn't take higher STR. What do you think? Should I have picked more STR?

Comments

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited December 2012
    As other may say, it's all a matter of your playstyle.
    Personnaliy, I'd rather try to max my physical attributes, since my demise means end of the game.

If you're having problem with your rolls, you can try to keep 17 in charsma (that will be boosted to 18 with the book).

Concerning strength, there are gloves to boost it mid-end game (only).

On the other side, dexterity gloves can be obtained very early.
    You can try to boost your strength and use thee gloves to fix the weakness of your character (if you do not want to max physical stats).

EDIT : concerninh the weapons you plan to use, magical bastard sword are very uncommun (though they are VERY useful for a few hard fights).

It can be a better choice to boost long swords first.

Sword & Shield style is not very useful, since you might give the best items to your PC and it is very unlikely that he'll be shot by arrows.

Either pick Axes or Scimitar (there are good ones, and even stronger ones if you are ready to steal them ;-) )
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Aleque said:

Hi

Someone said in this topic http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/258273-/59776203 that there will be alot of STR items to find plus the Wizard spell that temporarily maxes my STR to 18, so I rolled a Paladin with following attributes because I wasn't looking for a hardcore build and I'm tired of picking the most optimal mainstream builds:

STR: 14
    DEX: 17
    CON: 18
    INT: 11
    WIS: 13
    CHA: 18

Bastard Sword ++
    Long Sword +
    Sword & Shield Style +

My intention was making a charismatic leader which can take alot of hits, but now I keep regretting that I didn't take higher STR. What do you think? Should I have picked more STR?

For the more difficult battles you can always just buy/use potions of strength. So its not really that big of a deal.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    edited December 2012
    The advice you're reading is for BG2 where str including items are numerous, not BG1. There is an item that sets str to 18/00 to be found in chapter 5, and a tome which permantently gives +1 str. The tome is however, at it's most useful when your str is already 18/xx since the gap in power to 19 is generally large.
  • AlequeAleque Member Posts: 149
    Thanks for your replies. Is there a tool to change my current build (both Attributes and Weapon Proficiencies)? I just beat Nashkel mines and would rather not start from scratch.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2012
    Aleque said:

Thanks for your replies. Is there a tool to change my current build (both Attributes and Weapon Proficiencies)? I just beat Nashkel mines and would rather not start from scratch.

Shadowkeeper may work. I'm not sure if it has been updated for BGEE yet.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    I think you've rolled an excellent character, very playable. I would have done two slots to long sword and two in dual wielding, but you can certainly play the character as is. You will find plenty of strength potions along the way, so you can at least boost your strength for those big battles you know are coming. The gauntlets of ogre power do show up late in the game, but once you find them your rolled strength is meaningless.
  • AlequeAleque Member Posts: 149
    Alright thanks for that info. I get pretty neurotic when playing games with so many posibilities.