Skip to content

Addition of "highlight button" seems pretty important.

GriddGridd Member Posts: 8
Hi guys,

I was reading a preview here:

http://pockettactics.com/2012/12/03/baldurs-gate-for-ipad-impressions/

and I noticed that because there is no mouse cursor it's difficult to know doors are there when they are located on the back of building or wall.

Back when I played BGII (never actually played the original BG so I can't wait for it) I remember pressing tab highlighted "usable" things like doors and chests in the environment.

Might it be an idea to include some kind of button to do this, it seems quite important and it would be really annoying to get stuck in the game because a door is difficult to see.

Thanks for reading, and can't wait for the game!

Gridd
ST4TICStriker

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    According to a recent tweet by Trent, the key is in the game. They call it the "hint" key and it should be on the screen of the main interface (I believe). Press/tap and it should do what the tab key does/did.

--Illydth
    ST4TICStrikermisharsenal
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    Illydth said:

According to a recent tweet by Trent, the key is in the game. They call it the "hint" key and it should be on the screen of the main interface (I believe). Press/tap and it should do what the tab key does/did.

--Illydth

That's pretty cool, nice catch.

Thanks for the info.
  • GriddGridd Member Posts: 8
    Well spotted Illydth!

I don't use twitter so wouldn't have seen that :P
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There's also a note about it in the manual. :)
    misharsenal
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    Manual? What is that?
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    @davemo i'm not sure anymore... :(
  • turbotoesturbotoes Member Posts: 2
    There is a highlight button in the main interface. It's the third button up on the right hand side.
  • AlarianAlarian Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2012
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't highlight doors and stairs though unfortunitly. I spent a long time trying to find the door to the basement in the tutorial. None of the stairs going up highlighted either.
  • EvinfuiltEvinfuilt Member Posts: 505
    It's highlighting doors for me, but unfortunately it doesn't show where to click to enter/exit an area (such as doorways), which I think would be the same issue with stairs. Not sure how they would work around that.
    Ez92
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    The lack of pointing out the stairs/doors with the hilight feature will become a big problem. Not only is ridiculously hard to enter a door, but if a door isn't KNOWN ( like with new players rmnew DLC locations) things will ge very frustrated with the game.

Oh, and don't forget BGII has a lot of items that need interaction with.

And on an unrelated note, Beamdog, please find a way to allow me to rotate my party. It's always been a crucial part of my strategies.
    Ez92
  • RilburRilbur Member Posts: 54
    mars0124 said:

And on an unrelated note, Beamdog, please find a way to allow me to rotate my party. It's always been a crucial part of my strategies.

Select char 1, place him where you want him. Select char 2, place him where needed. Repeat down the line to 6.
  • namelessonenamelessone Member Posts: 17
    That button doesn't highlight zone transition areas. Like when there's an entrance on the "far" side of the building and there's no actual door. A good example of this is "hospital" in candlekeep area - the only way you'd know how to get in there is if you remember about it from PC version.
  • mars0124mars0124 Member Posts: 180
    I know I can manually place characters, but I'd just like to be able to do it 'properly' like I could previously. How do they do it in GemRB?

Still though, the focus stays on the ability to highlight. That's the one that I can see running the game for people that haven't memorized where everything is.