Skip to content

iPad 1 Support, Why Bother?

How much time was wasted on this before the last submission? How much sooner could BG:EE been out for iPad if they didn't even bother with the iPad 1? I don't think anyone can reasonably expect ANY new game to work on their iPad 1 which is behind 2 years and 3 generations.

If you are going to spend time and money to get this to work on a specific iPad, you should focus on the current generation and improve the resolution.

Comments

• GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    Because it is there. And probably represents a significant market share.
  • HogfatherHogfather Member Posts: 27
    Wakenbake said:

Good point. I stand corrected.

! What happened to my Internet?! Seriously though, good form :)
  • Ruckus3Ruckus3 Member Posts: 73
    Wakenbake said:

How much time was wasted on this before the last submission? How much sooner could BG:EE been out for iPad if they didn't even bother with the iPad 1? I don't think anyone can reasonably expect ANY new game to work on their iPad 1 which is behind 2 years and 3 generations.

If you are going to spend time and money to get this to work on a specific iPad, you should focus on the current generation and improve the resolution.

Because not all of us have the money for a brand new iPad every year/two years. No offense pal, but people are insane nowadays. How many years did you enjoy your n64? Or your Xbox 360? Seriously bud, think about other people's situation first. Personally I have a son and girlfriend to provide for, and anyone who has kids knows that diapers and toys ain't cheap.
  • WakenbakeWakenbake Member Posts: 24
    edited December 2012
    Ruckus3 said:

Seriously bud, think about other people's situation first. Personally I have a son and girlfriend to provide for, and anyone who has kids knows that diapers and toys ain't cheap.
    I'm chaotic neutral, so I don't really care about anyone else's situation. Fortunately it seems to be beneficial to everyone to have the memory footprint for the iPad 1. They really should have mentioned that before (or maybe I missed it), I love it when things are made to run more efficiently.

Even so, I'd still like to see some goodies for the newer hardware. Obviously that isn't going to be on the horizon until the current version is more robust.

• danopdanop Member Posts: 1
    As the owner of an iPad 1 (being utilized this very moment!) and as someone who has been following the development of this game for most of the year, I appreciate the teams continued efforts to bring BG home to my ancient, 2.5 yr. old tablet!!!

I'd love to have a shiny new piece of kit, but unless Santa has a suprise for me, I'll be stuck on my classic for the foreseeable future, and would love to have this game swallowing up vast quantities on memory!

Congratulations to the team on the release, the reviews have been great. Keep up the good work and keep the hope alive for me and all us iPad 1 owners!!!
    Wakenbake said:

Ruckus3 said:

Seriously bud, think about other people's situation first. Personally I have a son and girlfriend to provide for, and anyone who has kids knows that diapers and toys ain't cheap.
    I'm chaotic neutral, so I don't really care about anyone else's situation.
    How old are you, Wakenbake? Because you seem like a 16 year old apathetic chaotic neutral stoner kid who doesn't do much besides hit his double percolator triple blown bong o' destiny and sit on his new iPad that his parents bought. Am I right?
    edited December 2012
    Ruckus3 said:

How old are you, Wakenbake? Because you seem like a 16 year old apathetic chaotic neutral stoner kid who doesn't do much besides hit his double percolator triple blown bong o' destiny and sit on his new iPad that his parents bought. Am I right?

I'm not 16, I use a +3 Vaporizer of Stoning, and I paid for my iPad myself. In fact, I bought it specifically for BG:EE.

Other than that, you are correct.
  • XtopherXtopher Member Posts: 9
    Please send out another email notification when the iPad 1 version is ready. I'm assuming it will take some time to get that done, which is understandable, but I'm totally not going to even check this forum anymore and would hate to miss it when it eventually comes. Thanks
    Wakenbake said:

Ruckus3 said:

I'm not 16, I use a +3 Vaporizer of Stoning, and I paid for my iPad myself. In fact, I bought it specifically for BG:EE.

Other than that, you are correct.
    Heh, nice. Sorry about that post, I was just kinda in asshole mode. My bad, sir. Haha.
    No problem, I go into asshole mode frequently myself :)
    Haha I had to stop myself from hittin the agree button.
  • RilburRilbur Member Posts: 54
    Ruckus3 said:

Because not all of us have the money for a brand new iPad every year/two years. No offense pal, but people are insane nowadays. How many years did you enjoy your n64? Or your Xbox 360? Seriously bud, think about other people's situation first. Personally I have a son and girlfriend to provide for, and anyone who has kids knows that diapers and toys ain't cheap.

Gaming has always been an expensive habit.

Learn to deal with it. :D
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Here I was, ready to step in and be all serious-dev-team-mode ON and there everyone goes being nice to one another!
    Rilbur said:

Ruckus3 said:

Really dude? That how the world works now? Get a new system every two years (at least) or you can't play? If you don't have the absolute newest shit, you just aren't cool enough? God I hate this country.
    Nathan said:

Here I was, ready to step in and be all serious-dev-team-mode ON and there everyone goes being nice to one another!

Merry Christmas.
  • GregGrayGregGray Member Posts: 6
    Nathan said:

@Wakenbake the good part about the effort spent is that it's not wasted. Supporting the iPad 1's strict (half the RAM strict) memory requirements is good for the build as a whole, in the sense that it's forced us to save memory where we can and really tighten up the build. One of the good "side-effects" is that in our testing it's been absolutely rock-solid on the other iPads.

We committed to supporting the iPad 1, and we're going to keep plugging at it to honour that commitment while improving the build across all the iPads.

Makes sense as long as you did not have to sacrifice too much performance due to not being able to cache data for faster access and having to do more reads from the drive. Also, the original game required 512mb of RAM so cutting the RAM requirement in half for the port is not trivial.
  • panjandrumpanjandrum Member Posts: 3
    I agree that iPad 1 support is important and I'm glad you guys are still working on it. Thanks!

I think everyone who posts in a forum anything along the lines of "don't bother to support the old equipment" (because, obviously, only the rich deserve to have fun), or "just buy new equipment" (because obviously $500 to replace a perfectly good piece of equipment so you can play a $10 game makes perfect sense) should immediately be forced to buy that equipment for anyone reading the thread that wishes it. Talk about arrogance...

*Rant ON*

Plus, it is just plain sad the way youth see it as perfectly normal to spend insane amounts of money keeping up with equipment because of the way games are so-often programmed (NOT referring to this game here - keep up the good work on iPad 1 compatibility!). As long as that attitude is prevalent, game publishers will continue to release un-optimized junk, because they know darn well that idiots all over the world will go and spend good money to play the game. Why bother to program it well when it won't make you any additional money?

Young people: companies should *earn your money* and UNTIL they do, they should NOT get your money. Imagine if, upon the release of Skyrim, everyone with a 4-core processor (or more) said, "hey, this piece of junk only uses 2 cores! That's, like, 4-year old programming, forget this!" and then sang a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walked out without buying it? Their sales would have plummeted (half, a third?) and guess what? NEXT time Bethesda released a game they would program it properly. They would deserve our money. Wow, what a concept!

*Rant OFF*

Again, Beamdog, thanks SO much for keeping up the work on making this work on the iPad 1, my family has 3 iPads, and cannot afford a new iPad to play Baldur's Gate. We've been waiting a long time to play this game together, so we are very much looking forward to the iPad 1 version.

I think everyone who posts in a forum anything along the lines of "don't bother to support the old equipment" (because, obviously, only the rich deserve to have fun), or "just buy new equipment" (because obviously $500 to replace a perfectly good piece of equipment so you can play a $10 game makes perfect sense) should immediately be forced to buy that equipment for anyone reading the thread that wishes it. Talk about arrogance...

You don't have to be rich to buy the latest iPad. All you need is $500. When the new generation comes out, sell the previous one, save another $100-$200, and get the new one. If you have a job, you can afford it. If you have other expenses, that is a different problem. If you decided to have a family, you decided to be unable to afford the latest generation of everything. Don't pick on people who want things built for the latest generation when you have already chosen not to keep up.

I have no problem with them supporting the iPad 1 so long as it is not at the expense of the current generation. Fortunately, in this case, it is beneficial to all iPad users.

The bottom line is this: Is it more profitable to support the iPad 1 or to put that time and energy into something else? That is Beamdog's call to make, and they obviously believe that there are enough iPad 1 users to warrant the support. I really don't see there being enough iPad 1 users to be worthwhile, but if it makes my iPad 4 run more stably and use less RAM I am happy.
  • maxpayne69maxpayne69 Member Posts: 9
    You're trying to justify buying a $500 device for a $10 remake of a game made in 1998.

You're trying to justify buying a $500 device for a $10 remake of a game made in 1998.

No justification is necessary. It's my money, I can do with it whatever I want. The government has already taken more than its share, so if anyone else would care to tell me how to spend my money I would invite them to fuck off.

• maxpayne69maxpayne69 Member Posts: 9
    I'm not telling you how to spend your money, you're telling others to spend their's. "All you need is $500."

I'm not telling you how to spend your money, you're telling others to spend their's. "All you need is $500."

I am not telling him to buy an iPad 4, I am just saying it is not THAT expensive.

Wakenbake, bud, I'm not trying to be a dick here so don't take it that way. Honestly though, do you have to pay for rent/utilities/phone bills? I'm just assuming from your post you don't have kids yet, but they're not always planned. Simple fact is, some people are better off than others, myself being pretty well in the middle. When you tell people who don't have much to "just get a new one" or "you chose this life" tends to piss them off. I'm just tryin to play neutral party here so we can have at least one less flame war thread on here, please?
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    Ruckus3 said:

Rilbur said:

Ruckus3 said:

Really dude? That how the world works now? Get a new system every two years (at least) or you can't play? If you don't have the absolute newest shit, you just aren't cool enough? God I hate this country.
    I am sympathetic, but that is the nature of being an early adopter. You are going to get a very underpowered device. Look at how long the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS were supported. Yet the original iPhone and even the 3G were kicked to the curb quite quickly.

It is also obvious that tablets are still underpowered. As power challenges are met, tablets will reach the point where they can play the kinds of games that cannot run on current gen devices. Are game developers supposed to put out inferior games to keep the lesser hardware in the loop?

Also, this is definitely not something where developers should be blamed. In fact, no one should be blamed. Mobile devices are still young and development is quick. This will eventually slow down as tablets become a commodity.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    davemo said:

Ruckus3 said:

Rilbur said:

Ruckus3 said:

I am sympathetic, but that is the nature of being an early adopter. You are going to get a very underpowered device. Look at how long the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS were supported. Yet the original iPhone and even the 3G were kicked to the curb quite quickly.

It is also obvious that tablets are still underpowered. As power challenges are met, tablets will reach the point where they can play the kinds of games that cannot run on current gen devices. Are game developers supposed to put out inferior games to keep the lesser hardware in the loop?

Also, this is definitely not something where developers should be blamed. In fact, no one should be blamed. Mobile devices are still young and development is quick. This will eventually slow down as tablets become a commodity.
    Look, I didn't blame the devs. I was pissed, naturally, but not at them for something that was out of their hands. And I wouldn't have even posted anything if not for the "learn to deal with it" comment. That's something a pompous ass (see what I did there?) would say. Seriously dude, saying that to people who don't have the means to do anything about it is going to piss them off, obviously. So why be a dick to people you don't even know?
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I agree it'll be awesome when the iPad 1 is supported, but I'm quite surprised that so many people still use them...
    I sold mine when the iPad 2 was released, and got it effectively for half the price. Already there was apps and games struggling with the low memory on the iPad 1.

In fact, think it was an asshole move on Apple's part to put that little RAM in the iPad 1, I had trouble just surfing the web because it just didn't have the memory to keep more than one, sometimes (if I was lucky) two pages open at a time.

It's like someone pointed out earlier, the iPad 1 was for the early adopters, and it's always a risk to purchase that sort of hardware, it'll very soon be replaced by something much better.

That said, I fully understand that a lot of people don't have the economy to keep up with every new dangled device from Apple.

On the other hand....
    It's now four generations of iPad's ago....

There must be a whole host of apps and games not supported or running very slow and buggy on the iPad 1 nowadays...
    Yeah, but four generations of apple is 1/4 of a generation for Xbox, or playstation. 4 every two years or one every 10?