Skip to content

Companions killing each other

I left the game on when I went to bed. This morning there was a conversation waiting between Jaheria and Xzar. They said they hated each other then all for left the party and started fighting. Xzar and Montaron were killed.
Is that okay? Can I just go on with the game ? It was pretty funny but I just want to make sure companions can die permanently without affecting the game.

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    It doesn't hurt anything for companions to die permanately, you just don't have access to them anymore in your game.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012
    It doesn't screw over the game it's just an inconvenience. Because Xzar and Montaron are both statistically excellent. :\ You can't mix those four though it's a ticking timebomb.

Don't mix:
    Shar-Teel with Eldoth
    Jaheira&Khalid with Xzar&Montaron
    Ajantis with Dorn
    Minsc and/or Dynaheir with Edwin
    Jaheira with Faldorn
    Ajantis with Shar-Teel

And I'm not sure about:
    Tiax with Quayle
    Yeslick with Kagain
    The reason I am not sure about them is because I have heard they come to blows but I have never seen it, myself.

People like to say "don't mix Viconia and Kivan!" but those two just bicker, they never fight. (Probably because they secretly have the hots for one another) There are several other NPCs that also bicker and never fight. Stick away from pairing the NPCs I mentioned and you should be fine as far as inter-party conflict goes.
    Post edited by Quartz on
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Quartz said:

People like to say "don't mix Viconia and Kivan!" but those two just bicker

They do more than just bicker. In my current playthrough they fought and Kivan bit the bullet. Luckily for me it was just before i reached Coran, so i had a ready made Archer replacement right there.
    amftron said:

Quartz said:

They do more than just bicker. In my current playthrough they fought and Kivan bit the bullet. Luckily for me it was just before i reached Coran, so i had a ready made Archer replacement right there.
    No offense, but as many times as I have had those two together for ages on end, I'll believe it when I see it.
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    edited December 2012
    Quartz said:

amftron said:

Quartz said:

No offense, but as many times as I have had those two together for ages on end, I'll believe it when I see it.
    I think i may have a savegame near when it happened.... i'll boot up FRAPS and have a look.

EDIT

My savegame is right after it happened, i might see if i can recreate it tomorrow with an older save, unless i've gotten things totally wrong and it was Dorn who fought Kivan.... but i'm sure it was Viconia.

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I've never experienced inter-party fights, but I've heard that having a high charisma delays them from igniting. @Quartz Perhaps it's possible that your high charisma kept tempers in check in your previous playthroughs?
    @Madhax That is possible. I do tend to have high-charisma leaders. Of course, the high charisma thing is also a rumor. A rumor I believe in, but a rumor nonetheless.
  • peterdfaziopeterdfazio Member Posts: 6
    IS it a rumor? I've been reading some discussions with people that are pretty sure it's more than just a rumor. I would like to see my characters duke it out more, but I just started a game with a high charisma character. :(
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Could be a coincidence, but my first true cha dumpstat charname in tutu was my first BG1 npc fight, and it happened almost instantly (Less than 1 min). Xzar didn't even have any spells left, dunno if he'd bother casting if he did.

The rule of thumb is don't mix really different alignments too much, or very contrary personalities. Or racists.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    One of my favorite things about this game is that the different part members fight among themselves, it makes for excellent writing.

Besides, how could anyone who devotes their whole lives to serving and protecting others, such as Ajantis, put up with someone who is actually sworn to harm others to further their own ends (Dorn)?

Paladins like Ajantis in the forgotten realms seek out evil creatures like Dorn to destroy or, at the very least, to stop. On the other hand, anti-paladins, or blackguards, do everything they can to obtain more power, and if it is at the expense of the innocent, so much the better. Of course there would be inter-party conflict with different characters.

The real question is why in the **** is charname recruiting characters who hate each other or who are opposed to charname's ideals? (at least from an RP perspective)
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Mixed teams actually make a certain amount of sense to me. Charname faces some pretty dangerous enemies over the course of the games. Picking evil characters because they're competent seems like a wise strategic move, especially if you think you can contain the damage they cause.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Quartz said:

People like to say "don't mix Viconia and Kivan!" but those two just bicker, they never fight.

They can/do fight, but I think the original BG1 was bugged so that the dialogue that triggered the fight didn't play out to its conclusion.
    Quartz said:

Here you go!