Skip to content

Jailbroken iPad 3 iOS 5.1

senzasenza Member Posts: 10
I've got a jailbroken iPad 3 and not willing to upgrade to iOS 6 (and loose the jailbreak) just to play this game (as tempting as it is)

I've read that you can spoof your jailbroken iOS version to make the AppStore think you have iOS 6. That's great that will let me purchase and download the game but will it play?

I'm wondering if there are any iOS 6 specific calls in the code? Reason tells me that if Beamdog has been working on iPad 1 all this time, and iPad 1 doesn't support iOS 6 then it should work. An iOS programmer I am definitely not though.

Anyone get this running on a jailbroken iPad 2 or 3 successfully yet?

Like I said its very tempting to just bite the bullet and upgrade because playing Baldurs Gate on the iPad may be worth losing the jailbreak for...maybe.

Comments

• RilburRilbur Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2012
    senza said:

I'm wondering if there are any iOS 6 specific calls in the code? Reason tells me that if Beamdog has been working on iPad 1 all this time, and iPad 1 doesn't support iOS 6 then it should work. An iOS programmer I am definitely not though.

An iOS programmer I definitely am, and your logic is very sound.

Except: they weren't able to get the iPad 1 version working, so maybe they went and ahead and used iOS 6 calls.

I figure that's unlikely, but I can't guarantee you that it's impossible.
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    Not an iOS programmer @senza, but your line of thinking is very much correct. I agree with possibility stated by @Rilbur (that due to crashes iOS6 calls were used) but i'm more inclined to think that iOS 6 limitation is there just to rule out all iPads 1 which have lower memory (and are not allowed to upgrade to iOS 6) thus making the release stable (on all iOS 6 capable devices, namely iPad 2 and above).
  • shtkckshtkck Member Posts: 22
    I've jailbroken a iPad 1 which is tricked into thinking it's iOS6 and the app is downloaded but crashes on launch.
  • RilburRilbur Member Posts: 54
    @jolly_bb While I agree that iOS 6 is likely to keep the iPad 1 out of the fray... I think it's possible to mark an app 'not iPad 1' compatible and the appstore would accept it. So... who knows. (It might be that it depends on the reviewer whether stating that restriction in the description will pass muster; apple review process is the epitomy of 'capricious')
    edited December 2012
    @Rilbur that can be, but it was definitely not done this time. I bought and downloaded BGEE on my 5.1.1 iPad 1 just to learn after it was installed, that i cannot run it due to old iOS :)

I think it's indeed possible to mark products as "iPhone 4 and above" but it's more like an info text (below where the price is) rather than actual download limitation.

Again, i'm totally not an iOS-involved person (apart from being a heavy user) :)
    @shtkck thanks for checking that out for us.

But then, again, how the devs managed to run it previously. That it would crash after 45 minutes is one thing, but crash at start might be something else.
  • killedbillkilledbill Member Posts: 2
    senza said:

I've got a jailbroken iPad 3 and not willing to upgrade to iOS 6 (and loose the jailbreak) just to play this game (as tempting as it is)

I've read that you can spoof your jailbroken iOS version to make the AppStore think you have iOS 6. That's great that will let me purchase and download the game but will it play?

Like I said its very tempting to just bite the bullet and upgrade because playing Baldurs Gate on the iPad may be worth losing the jailbreak for...maybe.

1.) Go to Cydia and download "ifile"
    2.) open ifile an go to the path: system/library/CoreServices
    3.) open the file "SystemVersion.plist" with the Text Viewer
    4.) click "Edit"
    5.) at the bottom of the file is your ios Version. Change that to 6.0.1
    6.) restart your ipad and download the game.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    Does the App store have the means to look at your hardware, regardless of the version? Say, could you say iPad 2 yes iPad 1 no, without looking at the iOS version?

If not, requiring iOS6 is an easy way to prevent iPad 1 users from getting it.
  • shtkckshtkck Member Posts: 22

senza said:

1.) Go to Cydia and download "ifile"
    2.) open ifile an go to the path: system/library/CoreServices
    3.) open the file "SystemVersion.plist" with the Text Viewer
    4.) click "Edit"
    5.) at the bottom of the file is your ios Version. Change that to 6.0.1
    6.) restart your ipad and download the game.
    Just to inform, this will allow you to download it on iPad 1, but it will crash on startup.
  • killedbillkilledbill Member Posts: 2
    seems like it's not only to prevent Ipad 1 users from buying the game. I bought the game with my jailbroken ipad3 5.1.1 (changed the version via ifile to 6.0.1) but the game doesn't start.

bummer.
  • senzasenza Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for all the insight guys. I'm going to make the plist change and try to get this working on my jailbroken iPad 3 and report back.

It's a shame for all you guys on iPad 1 not getting it working. Have you tried closing all open apps before launching?
  • senzasenza Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2012

seems like it's not only to prevent Ipad 1 users from buying the game. I bought the game with my jailbroken ipad3 5.1.1 (changed the version via ifile to 6.0.1) but the game doesn't start.

bummer.

This is what I was afraid of. Guess the ios6 requirement wasn't just a simple way to lock out iPad 1 owners...

To upgrade and loose jailbreak or not...that is the question...
  • ADanteADante Member Posts: 2

bummer.

Yes, it seems the game was compiled for iOS 6 or uses some specific libraries.
  • YahooeyuYahooeyu Member Posts: 6
    ill try use Ifile and this solution. But after rebooting , my app store is empty =)
    edited December 2012
    seems like apple store change color, and i just didnt see anything on the screen, ideas?

Ok. ill fix it. =)
  • hyperballadhyperballad Member Posts: 3
    Guys, just to throw in my two cents here - I have a jailbroken iPad 2 currently running 5.1.1 firmware. I used the above guidelines to spoof the AppStore into thinking I was using the latest 6.0 firmware. However, this really messed up my Appstore and I couldn't get the Appstore to show any content even after restoring the original firmware info and rebooting the system. I had to do a lot of fiddling around to get it back to normal.
    Regardless, I eventually managed to get the Baldur's Gate App downloading however it's taking hours and and it has already failed twice after getting two-thirds of the way through. I'm trying a different approach now by downloading it via the "Purchased" tab on iTunes on my actual computer. Hopefully I can sync the App directly from my computer to the (still spoofed 6.0) iPad after... I don't even know.
    So, I would recommend using caution when using the above method to trick the appstore.
    Ok, update, I've managed to download the app onto my iPad by spoofing the firmware but now everytime I go to launch it, it just crashes as soon as I start it up.
    Back to the drawing board. I'm determined not to lose my jailbreak.

Has anyone else actually been successful with this yet?
  • varnolvarnol Member Posts: 1
    I just went ahead and updated. I don't like it, but I only use iPad to play some silly games or watch movies, I don't really need it if i can't play BG. Plus, jailbreak is coming anyway, maybe in three months, maybe in 6 months. Now my iPhone I would never update without jailbreak ready, I use it for my daily life. iPad... Nah, just a toy, though it was sad to see I have to update.
    Yeah, I've given up and following the same reasoning as yourself have decided to just bite the bullet and lose the jailbreak. It'll sting but it's really just a novelty these days and besides, there will probably be a new jailbreak in the future. Just wanna play some BG on my iPad!!
  • KubaLojewskiKubaLojewski Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    I have the same problem as OP. iPad 3, 5.1. I will absolutely not upgrade to iOS 6, so I guess my money will wait until the devs fix it or remove this restriction. iOS 6 is a senseless iteration providing pretty much nothing new I'd use, moreover, it's problematic when it comes to maps, YouTube, and many other stuff. I also rely heavily on system improvements courtesy of jailbreak.

It should be possible to rule out only iPad 1, and if not, write IN BOLD up top of the app description that it doesn't work there (for now) as most developers do. If iPad 1 owners buy it, they are idiots and should pay for their mistake. Technically, I can play the game just fine, and yet I can't cause of the OS version restriction aimed at previous generation model - ridiculous. Either way, I will certainly not upgrade for one game and I advise you to do the same unless you accept everything Apple shoves your way.

Ok, update, I've managed to download the app onto my iPad by spoofing the firmware but now everytime I go to launch it, it just crashes as soon as I start it up.
    Back to the drawing board. I'm determined not to lose my jailbreak.

Has anyone else actually been successful with this yet?

yeah have same resoult =)
    but ill fix it.

ifile - back your version, 5.1.1 reboot device.
    then in Properties log out from Itunes.
    then go to appstore and try to do somthing,
    when asked - enter your detail (login, pass)
    everything should back.

well it;s work for me at all
  • SertisSertis Member Posts: 1
    Ugh, I'm not giving up my XBMC for BG:EE on my 5.1.1 ipad. I guess I can wait until next year for an Android port.
    To further my argument, let me copy a comment found on Eurogamer, by brianlelas, with which I agree completely. The solution they came up with at Overhaul is so very wrong and they have to have that in mind, at the least.

"I'm not a programmer but I am a QA Lead and have worked on iOS games for two years. I have seen developers make incredible things with iOS devices across the board, with 3GS builds running as smoothly as iPhone 5 builds on multiple titles. It IS ridiculous that they would insist many times that the game would run on all iPads and then release it without a warning in the App Store. I almost bought the game this morning, but luckily glanced at the Requirements. It mentions that is runs on iPad, but doesn't state which models. It then states that iOS 6 is required, meaning that iPad 1 is out. The OpenGL issue with Intel chipsets combined with this nonsense has meant that I cannot play this game as I can't afford a new computer and don't really want to pay for a new iPad to run it. This game would run on iOS 5, that much is obvious, as they were developing it for quite a while before iOS 6 betas were available, so for most of their dev cycle it was targeted for iOS 5. It's, and I'll say it again, RIDICULOUS."

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-07-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-out-now-on-ipad-for-7
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    So, let me clarify: it is your opinion that they should not have released the game at all, rather than release it without iPad 1 compatibility?

Oh, and if you want to play Baldur's Gate in 480x320 resolution (iPhone 3Gs) you might have to duke it out with the HD resolution guys in the other thread...
    Derp. Reading is not your strong point now is it? Cause of out 2 arguments you took out, not a single one is mine.

I'd like them to release a game for all platforms, including iPad 1, with a statement that it doesn't work there. The restriction (used to rule out ONLY iPad 1) is blocking access to each and every iPad 2 and 3 still on 5.1.1 - and there's not a single feature on iOS 6 making me willing to upgrade (+I'd lose my jailbreak). It is very much disproportionate to the goal Overhaul aimed at. Because sure, if iPad 1 has memory problems - rule it out and let's wait for a fix, but DO NOT lock out more powerful devices, more than capable of playing the game, with an artificial restriction. STUPID decision.

iPhone 3Gs example was given by the quote to show that it's possible to maintain a very good performance across all manner of devices and frankly has nothing to do with my argument.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314

Derp. Reading is not your strong point now is it? Cause of out 2 arguments you took out, not a single one is mine.

No, I was trying to figure out what your point was - hence the "clarify"
    I'd like them to release a game for all platforms, including iPad 1, with a statement that it doesn't work there.
    The impression given by Trent Oster is that the builds were being rejected by Apple due to crash problems on the iPad1. So it doesn't look like Overhaul gets to make this call.
    The restriction (used to rule out ONLY iPad 1) is blocking access to each and every iPad 2 and 3 still on 5.1.1 - and there's not a single feature on iOS 6 making me willing to upgrade
    Fair enough. My guess is that they got in a conversation with Apple, and decided the easiest way to prevent iPad1 users from buying was to set the compatibility to iOS 6. I don't know that system well enough to say that's the only way it could have been done.

Unfortunately, the Apple Reality(tm) in this case is that many, if not most iOS apps quickly abandon support for older iOS versions, even when they have added no new functionality to the app. This isn't a problem that gets a lot of love...
    (+I'd lose my jailbreak).
    If you think any commercial developer cares about this, you are sorely mistaken.
    iPhone 3Gs example was given by the quote to show that it's possible to maintain a very good performance across all manner of devices and frankly has nothing to do with my argument.
    Well, if that example wasn't important, why was it 2/3 of your post?

My point is that it is a terrible example of your point, given that the 3Gs is capable of running iOS6. Now, if you could make the same argument including the iPhone 3G, then you might be on to something...

The reality is that the iPad 1 was a serious screw-up by Apple, including way to little memory for its screen resolution. You can see that Apple admits to this screw-up, by abandoning software updates for it while it is still supporting the older 3Gs.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Cerevant said:

Fair enough. My guess is that they got in a conversation with Apple, and decided the easiest way to prevent iPad1 users from buying was to set the compatibility to iOS 6. I don't know that system well enough to say that's the only way it could have been done.

There are only two ways to restrict the iPad 1, and that is either requiring a camera or iOS 6. I'm not sure if apple would reject an app based on the former restriction if it didn't actually use the feature.

Speaking of which, it would be kinda cool if you could take a picture of yourself to use as your portrait in-game.