Skip to content

[Bug] Casting 'Entangle' slows down the game to unplayable

on iPad 3, not just the FPS are reduced to just a few but the game slows down a lot. Every time an enemy cast that spell, I have to reload from a save game or wait for a minute or so until it passed. I read this happened since original BG, can at least remove/simplify the visual effect of it so the game is playable with it? thanks

Comments

• RafnerRafner Member Posts: 64
    I have the same problem. Whenever a spell is cast the game starts running in something like 2-5 frames per second. Something really has to be done about this... I mean I'd rather have the spell effects looking like poop than have them slow down the game the way they do.
  • cojumkrcojumkr Member Posts: 8
    Me too..
  • AzoAzo Member Posts: 12
    Same problem for me. I had to stop playing because of this. Hopefully there is a fix coming soon. =(
  • SweeneyishSweeneyish Member Posts: 3
    Same issue here regarding the entangle spell. It took a few minutes to wear off, and the framerate was very low during that time.
  • enakkienakki Member Posts: 5
    same here. i do not understand how this could be released. game needs a lot of polishing still...
  • BigityBigity Member Posts: 98
    @enakki

You don't play alot of video games, do you...
    Bigity said:

@enakki

Well to be honest, this is by far one of the buggiest releases I've ever played of any game. I mean I've heard horror stories from other games that have been nothing short of bug beasts, but this... This game is quite horrible. There seems to be borderline game braking bugs in all areas of the game. Quests, AI, graphic, sound, network code, interface, items disappearing, mobs not showing up, etc. etc. I wonder how it got like this...
  • Mad_MaxMad_Max Member Posts: 1
    I fully confirm the bug. First, what I did in the tutorial basement, was to cast two simultaneous "entangle" spells. Well, the framerate was immediately in the basement as well...
  • ser_nnovser_nnov Member Posts: 5
    I'm happy, that BG on iPad is realised, one "but" - the same situation, My Friends.
    iPad3. Lovely BG playing is absolutely impossible while spelling. Including multi-classes, I have three mages in Black Pits company. Could U realize, how "happy" am I ? ))))
    One pal has iPad2. This situation is the same again.
    It remains to patch.
    edited December 2012
    Rafner said:

Bigity said:

@enakki

Well to be honest, this is by far one of the buggiest releases I've ever played of any game. I mean I've heard horror stories from other games that have been nothing short of bug beasts, but this... This game is quite horrible. There seems to be borderline game braking bugs in all areas of the game. Quests, AI, graphic, sound, network code, interface, items disappearing, mobs not showing up, etc. etc. I wonder how it got like this...
    Not sure what all you are referring too. I haven't come across a bug yet.

I mean, yea the AoE spells are an issue, but I don't know where this mega list of yours is supposedly hidden.
  • enakkienakki Member Posts: 5
    Bigity said:

@enakki

playing games since 8bit era. so spare your words. the fact is, that this issue is serious and ruining the gameplay hardly. it is great game, but overally, it behaves like an alpha version.
    I don't want to be rude or anything but please be relevant. I want the developers to take bug report threads like these seriously. Stop flaming and stick to the issue please? :P
    We have reported this problem in the bugs section as well. If anyone wonders.
    enakki said:

Bigity said:

@enakki

playing games since 8bit era. so spare your words. the fact is, that this issue is serious and ruining the gameplay hardly. it is great game, but overally, it behaves like an alpha version.
    Again, you act like you have this huge list of show stopping bugs. Stop griping about them and post them then. I've had one crash, and the AoE spell framerate issue, and that's it as far as bugs.
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    I am failing to find the many issues that are leaving some outraged.
  • SermonSermon Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2012
    Also experiencing considerable slowdowns when area spells are in effect. It's not a game stopper ... but almost, as it can be quite annoying to be in the middle of a fight with a number of monsters, finding it difficult to issue commands due to lagginess. For me personally this is the most annoying issue yet and I hope it'll get fixed soon.
  • SermonSermon Member Posts: 8
    By the way - has this already been posted in the Bugs-section?
    Bigity said:

Again, you act like you have this huge list of show stopping bugs. Stop griping about them and post them then. I've had one crash, and the AoE spell framerate issue, and that's it as far as bugs.

From the top of my head, these are some of the bugs that I have experienced personally:

- Default sound for main character stops working. Character repeats same line in chat/text box over and over.
    - Enemies are not spawning as they are supposed to. Sometimes waylayed by enemies but no one is there.
    - Equipped weapons break but no message is given and no broken weapon spawns in inventory.
    - Mega FPS drop while casting spells.
    - Game crashes after death cinematic.
    - Game crashes when you press "Load Game" after death cinematic.
    - Game crashes when loading new area.
    - Game crashes when you try to load a new game after dying (about 50% of the times, work around is to go to main menu and load from there).
    - Quest entries disappearing without reason.
    - Journal bug. Can't scroll through the journal (not quest log) without selecting text.
    - Sound becomes completely distorted while fighting some kind of nymph/sea maid/whatevah enemies in an area on the west side of the world map.
    - While scrolling the camera movement commands are sometimes issued.

Furthermore there are parts of the game that are simply unpolished. For example:

- Hard to enter certain buildings.
    - Hard to pick up loot.
    - Little feedback showing whether or not you've selected an enemy.
    - Little feedback on where entryways are located and what things can be interacted with, such as signs (this is because of lack of mouse cursor).
    - Can't rotate which way party is facing.
    - Can't "press and hold" on spells in spellbook to get information unless you've filled up your spell slots.
    - No exact HP shown on portraits.

That's what comes to mind right now. Then there are of course countless other bugs that other people have experienced.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Rafner said:

Bigity said:

From the top of my head, these are some of the bugs that I have experienced personally:

- Default sound for main character stops working. Character repeats same line in chat/text box over and over.
    - Enemies are not spawning as they are supposed to. Sometimes waylayed by enemies but no one is there.
    - Equipped weapons break but no message is given and no broken weapon spawns in inventory.
    - Game crashes when you try to load a new game after dying (about 50% of the times, work around is to go to main menu and load from there).
    - Journal bug. Can't scroll through the journal (not quest log) without selecting text.
    - Sound becomes completely distorted while fighting some kind of nymph/sea maid/whatevah enemies in an area on the west side of the world map.

Furthermore there are parts of the game that are simply unpolished. For example:

- Hard to pick up loot.
    - Little feedback on where entryways are located and what things can be interacted with, such as signs (this is because of lack of mouse cursor).
    - Can't "press and hold" on spells in spellbook to get information unless you've filled up your spell slots.

That's what comes to mind right now. Then there are of course countless other bugs that other people have experienced.
    Are you using an iPad 2, 3 or 4?

I haven't had a single crash yet on the iPad 3.

The only issue I've had are the Journal problem where it insist I edit when I want to scroll, and the unintented movement when scrolling the camera.
    I've had an FPS drop when casting Entangle, but nothing serious.

I've had all the issues you've entered under "unpolished", and they are very annoying and I so hope they'll get fixed.

Bytebrain said:

Are you using an iPad 2, 3 or 4?I haven't had a single crash yet on the iPad 3.

I play on a 3rd generation iPad with the latest iOS update.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Hmm..
    Maybe I'll run into some of the serious issues you mentioned when I play on, but so far I haven't. (Knock on wood).

I reboot my iPad 3 regularly, as an easy way to free RAM on the device.
    There's a lot of apps and games having memory issues and crashing if its not done often.

With a device like the iPad, it's easy to overlook to reboot, because the device usually just work..

Don't know if that's the culprit on your end, at least when it comes to the crash issues, but it can't hurt to try.. :)
  • wolf81wolf81 Member Posts: 4
    I play on an iPad 2. First of all, I'd like to say I'm really glad this game has been released on the iPad, even if it's in a somewhat buggy state. I'm looking forward to BG2.

With that said, I can confirm the following errors based on my experience in the last 2-3 days:

-> sometimes i see broken weapons, sometimes i don't. It *seems* the scimitar doesn't show broken weapon in inventory, might be because scimitars didn't exist in BG1 until TotSC?

-> happens with some spells (druid roots / mage color spray.

-> not always, but seen it happen quite often - perhaps 30% of the time?

-> not always, but seen it happen quite often - perhaps 30% of the time?

-> not always, but seen it happen occasionally - perhaps 5% of the time?

-> same issue as the "death cinematic" crash, right?

-> quest log is very buggy - sometimes have to scroll to previous or later chapters to have the quests appear again.

-> happened exactly once for me this past weekend.

-> yeah, happens quite often and is annoying in fights.

-> true, but mostly when doors are hidden from view, right? This was also a problem in the PC version as well, but to me it just seems part of the game.

- Hard to pick up loot.
    -> only loot that was really hard for me to pickup was the Ankheg armor in Nashkel en the ring in the woods near Friendly Arms Inn. Rest was (for me) manageable.

-> might be able to change settings for this? Haven't tried, but there are some "feedback" options ...

-> good point, perhaps some indicators should be visible for entryways? - though it might ruin the atmosphere of the game a bit.

-> yes - imo if you have a finger pressed for like 1.5 secs on a spell, it should show info page. Only short time touches should be used to memorise spells (and not show info page)
  • FerluciFerluci Member Posts: 26
    The colour spray spell has this as well. I think this is a AOE spell issue. But this would be my number 1 thing to fix for the iPad version!
    I can confirm the slowdown in the area with all the basilisk, when you to the rocky area with the wind effects. Causes a situation similar to casting entangle.
    Rafner said:

Bigity said:

- Hard to pick up loot.

Haven't seen it happen. Are you sure you aren't just getting the same confirmation feedback from the character several times in a row?

Are you sure you aren't waylaid by a bear or something that is not overtly hostile? I've been waylaid several times and it seems to have worked every time.

Not sure this qualified as a bug so much as a feature needed. Should probably throw a 'weapon unusable' message though.

Some spells, yes.

Doesn't happen to me.

Doesn't happen to me.

Doesn't happen to me.

Doesn't happen to me.

Haven't seen it, but can't say I've really tried to track it.

Can't duplicate but will try.

Haven't been there yet.

I get the movement 'target' icons, but they don't actually move to the location. Probably needs some tweaking.
  • QuaestorQuaestor Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2012
    Okay, there seem to be performance issues across the published OSes - anyone bother to check the "Windows" forum will be swamped by it. Seems like Overhaul have been somewhat sloppy on their implementation of OpenGL. I'm really tempted to put their claim to the test of running this release on a GeForce 2 now - was that actually tested? With Overhaul's current track record I begin to wonder...
    I'm surprised any GeForce 2 cards aren't just blowing up when you give them power.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Running iPad 2 and can confirm this issue.

Also noticing severe lag when near too much running water, like the waterfall down south with the dead cat.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @Nathan
    How come you guys missed this before the launch?
    Any quick and dirty way to fix this? (or quick and clean) :-D