Skip to content

1.0.2010 update

YoYoYoYo Member Posts: 71
I missed something? In PC version is 1.0.2010 but in iStore till now 1.0.2009 (on my iPad too).

The next thing - pretty please to support the rest languges as soon as it possibles as it was promised.

Comments

• tarasistarasis Member Posts: 20
    The problem with the AppStore is each patch requires the app to be submitted to Apple again, where they'll test again and then it will get a release. So anything from a few days to a couple of weeks for each patch.

I imagine they will hold off for a bit till they've nailed a larger number of issues and then submit the next version. Particularly if changes impact the binary. Not sure how Apple would feel about patches for content from an override folder, I don't think they would go for it (can't remember the App submission guidelines on that aspect of the top of my head)
  • AlarianAlarian Member Posts: 8
    Also, since every patch for the iPad is going to require downloading the entire game again, I'm guessing they will try and wrap multiple fixes into each patch. I'm guessing downloading 1.2 gig regularly would start to get old for many people.
  • theleethelee Member Posts: 76
    It would still be nice to know from the dev team what their planned release/update strategy for the ipad version (and other platforms forthcoming) will be. i'm super-looking-forward to whenever they get the elven chainmail drop fixed; my bard character is on hold until that happens.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Well, there have already been what, four patches on the PC? Must be getting close to one for iPad.
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    Why would we have to redownload the full 1.7 gb? Is it confirmed that the game was designed that way?
  • nightofgrimnightofgrim Member Posts: 7
    davemo said:

Why would we have to redownload the full 1.7 gb? Is it confirmed that the game was designed that way?

That's how the App store works

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    davemo said:

The developers have no say in this. The App Store just works this way.

• artnosartnos Member Posts: 2
    but what about your save files? Some things must be seperate.
  • vacaskinvacaskin Member Posts: 5
    Why does everyone keep saying false information about the App Store only letting you redownload the whole file every time there is an update?
    Celtic heroes is a perfect example of an iOS game that can get updates daily if it chooses.
    They use a patcher built into the game and you don't have to ever wait for an app update in the AppStore.
    Seems like this would have been the optimal way to go with things.
  • YoYoYoYo Member Posts: 71
    artnos said:

but what about your save files? Some things must be seperate.

Yes, it must be but I think it isnt a problem. I have games with saved option and when I did update always old saves exist.

• FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    @vacaskin that is possible because Celtic heroes is an mmo. Those updates are server-side.

@artnos saves and settings aren't touched.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I am not looking forward to re-downloading 1.7 gigs every time we get an update!
  • YoYoYoYo Member Posts: 71
    tarasis said:

The problem with the AppStore is each patch requires the app to be submitted to Apple again, where they'll test again and then it will get a release. So anything from a few days to a couple of weeks for each patch.

Right, forgot about this. Perhaps on iPad patches will be realesed less often than iPad version.
    Some for PC version in one package for iPad. Little pity, but I hope it will be couple days, not weeks delay.

The problem is the games aren't compatible if they don't have the same patches.
    I was playing with a friend using my iPad and his windows pc just fine and then the patch made it a different version for us and completly hosed us.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    I'm including that as a "problem/bug", particularly if they're going to be doing this kind of staggered release cycle thing they can't be breaking multi-player every time they want to update the PC...and what happens when they have all 4 platforms in the mix?
    Make it 5. Looks like Linux is about to receive green light to be made and launched.
    nirac

davemo said:

That's how the App store works

Apps can't just update components? For data heavy apps, like most large games, that would make updates quite small.

I guess this is just another example of how bad Apple is at software.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    @davemo nope. They can in the Mac App Store, though. It's only a matter of time til it comes to iOS. It was present to some extent in the iOS 6 beta.
  • popopopo Member Posts: 13
    > "Make it 5. Looks like Linux is about to receive green light to be made and launched."

Ugh. Let's hope not. They need to create release-ready, bug-free games for the platforms they've already committed to before jumping into new projects. So far, I haven't seen anything resembling a polished product.

Bug free software? Unrealistic.

The only thing I have experienced so far that is unacceptable is the slowdown due to area spells. And even that wasn't that big of a deal. Most of the complaints just require familiarity. I can't speak to any of the multiplayer bugs.

This game is highly playable and enjoyable. The scrolling is tough at times, but I have experienced similar problems using comboboxes/drop down lists in other apps. Hopefully there is a workaround for that.

Instead of pursuing the impossible bug free software, they should do fixes for major problems and work on Linux, as they plan. The Linux work would provide a codebase that will be reused in future releases.
    mlneveseKirinaldoAristillius
    davemo said:

Instead of pursuing the impossible bug free software, they should do fixes for major problems and work on Linux, as they plan. The Linux work would provide a codebase that will be reused in future releases.

Can't agree more.

There are several things that need to be done both on the windows side and on the iPad side, no doubt about that, but the first item of note is that the code base for all of the various versions is the same.

The architecture used to design the game was INTENTIONALLY cross platorm...that's why they used OpenGL and not DirectX. There's no "re-coding" that needs to be done to release a Linux version of the software. Now, if they release it before Mac OS X or Android, they'd be making a huge mistake, but they won't...I fully believe that.

There are, I'm sure, some differences system to system, but by and large the majority of the code base they have and the fixes they're making will roll right into a Linux version...there's no reason NOT to release a Linux version of the game...most of what they'd have to do to do it is already there.

Lastly, everyone needs to keep in mind that while the troubles and trials are happening now, anything they do here for BG:EE WILL carry forward into BG2:EE's design. If they've written it right (and from what I'm hearing and from the outside in what I'm seeing about their design they have) many of the libraries and code enhancements they've done MAY very well port STRAIGHT OVER to BG2:EE...meaning less development time and any bugs fixed here become bugs you won't see in BG2:EE.
    Also any improvements made to BG2EE will be immediately ported to BGEE as well. The release of BG2EE will not mark the end of the support cycle to BGEE.
  • MutantMeteorMutantMeteor Member Posts: 9
    I sent a pm to one of the devs (nathan) asking about a iPad patch. he just replied to say they are very close to releasing one. Awesome news and its great how they are open and interactive with the community.
  • SambuccaSambucca Member Posts: 1
    The Navigon GPS app consists of the core app, which is a few tens of megabytes in size, and the huge map data files are downloaded separately from within the app. You can even choose which countries you want the map data for, which is nice for Europe for example. Whenever they update the app the download is small and map and POI updates don't have to go through the App Store approval process. Win win.

Is there a way for Baldur's Gate to separate the art and sound files, which I imagine make up the bulk of the file size, from the core game files? That way at least patch downloads would be faster even if we still have to wait for the approval process.
    davemo
    edited December 2012
    Sambucca said:

The Navigon GPS app consists of the core app, which is a few tens of megabytes in size, and the huge map data files are downloaded separately from within the app. You can even choose which countries you want the map data for, which is nice for Europe for example. Whenever they update the app the download is small and map and POI updates don't have to go through the App Store approval process. Win win.

Is there a way for Baldur's Gate to separate the art and sound files, which I imagine make up the bulk of the file size, from the core game files? That way at least patch downloads would be faster even if we still have to wait for the approval process.

Is it possible to download data with app on the first install (as it does now) and then reuse old data with update? This is different from apps that download data separately on first run.
    I must be the only one who bought this game to play it multiplayer.
    I beat the game too many times to recall in the past, but this time I was really excited to be able to play with all my windows friends.
    The way the game is right now, you flat out cannot connect to other people's systems, which means I paid for a multiplayer game that I can't even play.
    Sure I can play single player, but that's not what I bought the game for.
    The game is awesome but its been about a week since I bought it and it only worked the first day and not a single time (multiplayer) after that.
    Can we get someone to the actual company to say anything about how many more days/weeks we have before the versions match up?
    If its going to be a while then ill just hold off on telling my pals to get it until it actually works and just play something else in the mean time.
    davemo
    Another thing about the guy who posted about the bugs and such not being a big deal and that the Linux version is a good idea, it's not anything the people who bought the game to play the game right now want to hear.
    I really could care less about baulders gate 2 until its actually out.
    What I care about is playing the game that is out right now and on the systems that most of the rest of the world are already using.
    If you can't see that adding another version with its own version number isn't going to make things more difficult, then you haven't been reading this post.
    It's about iPad people not being to connect with people who have other versions, like it has been for a while now.
    The multiplayer bug does seem like something that needs to get fixed quick, but I suspect they have someone from their team working on that.

I can't imagine that version numbers will always be an issue. The multiplayer isn't going to be updated in every update such that different versions can't play together so I don't see them requiring identical versions if differences aren't pertinent. Especially considering the lag we will always experience for iPad updates due to dealing with Apple.

Keep in mind that if the developers fix a bug in one day, it still takes a week for the fix to get to users through the app store.
    The version mismatch causing Multiplayer inability is a reported issue in a thread I know the development staff/project management team is reading. There's not much more we can do than to stress this is an important problem that needs to get fixed quickly.

The fact is, however, that right now patching the game on the iPad is a PITA because it's going to require a full 1.8G download ALL OVER AGAIN. Asking people to make that kind of download every other day with 15 different patches is going to piss as many people (if not more) off as not having multi-player will.

That said, there had BETTER be something in the first patch they're talking about releasing to eliminate the "version mismatch" problem between iPad and Windows (and Mac OSx and Android...) breaking multi-player. I think the iPad community would better take "This Update MAY break Multi-Player" than "if you're version doesn't match your friend's version you can't play".

I stressed it in the known bugs thread and I'll stress it here: Multi-player cannot use version number to determine multi-player capability. There are too many changes now and into the near future that will be forced to be patched "right now" that will cause a version incompatibility.

Version Mismatch checks were bad design and I hope BD has enough sense to take them out with the next patch.

It is a bit of a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" scenario...there will be a patch that breaks multi-player at some point and when it happens people are going to scream they didn't know it was coming and "this software should do a version check or something!!!", still I have to agree with you that it's at a pretty unacceptable point right now.
    I think the version mismatch check, even if they get rid of it, will reappear at times when changes are made that fundamentally change multiplayer protocols. I can see this happening to combat exploits.

I don't think that many people are near their monthly download quota for their cable access (250GB for comcast) that multiple updates would be a problem.