Skip to content

Area transitions should highlighted permanently

As most people have pointed out, it can be incredibly difficult to enter some houses. New players may play all the way through BG:EE without ever knowing you can enter many places. Remember in Neverwinter Nights when you enabled the debugmode, and all area transitions & triggers were highlighted yellow? A similar effect could be used for the iPad version, giving you an actual coloured area to tap to enter/exit a map/building.

Also I believe the highlight/hint button should be a toggle switch, OR the maximum setting for 'feedback' in the gameplay options should always highlight doors and interactable containers.

Comments

• davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    I have zero problems entering doors. The place to touch is consistent. One I learned it, problem solved.
  • artnosartnos Member Posts: 2
    I agree with TC, i'm on an ipad so, i dont have the option of hovering. I would want to know what chest i can open or dresser i can expect. And it's alittle hard to see doors. Also I wish the character dialog options were more spaced out. I have choosen a few by mistake.
  • AldaranAldaran Member Posts: 14
    Some doorways without actual doors to highlight are impossible to see if they're "behind" something from the camera angle, and if I didn't know they were there already I'd have never gone I to them on the iPad version. The hospital in candle keep is one example of this if my memory serves me.
  • SpacedCowboySpacedCowboy Member Posts: 3
    I actually find it difficult to go into the "hidden" doorways as well, and I find stairs (the Friendly Arm Inn, for example) equally difficult - and in fact impossible when trying to move the party en masse. So far I've had to move the characters one by one which is ... not ideal. On the iPad, it would be nice if the targets for the various transitions could be made larger...
  • Garrison64Garrison64 Member Posts: 72
    Select your group. Pause the game. Click where you want them to go. If you see all of the party reticles you have missed the spot. If only one reticle shows you are ready to enter the door, go up/down stairs, loot something, ect. At this point unpause the game to progress. Works every time.
  • Great_PalinGreat_Palin Member Posts: 8

Select your group. Pause the game. Click where you want them to go. If you see all of the party reticles you have missed the spot. If only one reticle shows you are ready to enter the door, go up/down stairs, loot something, ect. At this point unpause the game to progress. Works every time.

That's helpful, thanks! But there are times when I can't even see the door.
  • Chromatic5Chromatic5 Member Posts: 30
    I agree this is an issue. I know the game well enough that I don't run into any major issues, but its still tough sometimes. Take firebead elvenhair's house in beregost. Almost impossible to find the door unless you know where it is.

I would like if the highlight/hint buttons showed doors/area transitions.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602

That's helpful, thanks! But there are times when I can't even see the door.
    That's not unique on the iPad edition or even BG:EE for pc. It's been that way since 1998.
    I guess it's a design decision. Not a particular clever one...
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    The difference here, however, is that on the PC version you have tooltips that you can drag your mouse around the screen till it changes and THEN you can figure out what to do. I remember back in the 90's when I was playing this there were several times I would have my party standing there and I'd drag my mouse pointer in a staggered line back and forth then up and down over the screen till I saw it change so that I could find something I knew should be there and wasn't and/or wasn't showing up with the tab key.

That capability isn't there on the iPad and this will cause issues with the game.
  • Garrison64Garrison64 Member Posts: 72
    It would be very nice if all doorways would highlight somehow instead of just the doors themselves. That doesn't help a whole lot when there is no door.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Illydth said:

The difference here, however, is that on the PC version you have tooltips that you can drag your mouse around the screen till it changes and THEN you can figure out what to do. I remember back in the 90's when I was playing this there were several times I would have my party standing there and I'd drag my mouse pointer in a staggered line back and forth then up and down over the screen till I saw it change so that I could find something I knew should be there and wasn't and/or wasn't showing up with the tab key.

That capability isn't there on the iPad and this will cause issues with the game.

That's true.
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81

This doesn't help if you never know the doorway is there. Take, for example, Firebead's house in Beregost. It would be very difficult for an iPad player to find this doorway if they hadn't played BG before.