Skip to content

Gnoll Challenge Bug

AitricAitric Member Posts: 4
edited November 2013 in Fixed
The Gnolls in AREA 5200 (SW of Nashkel) don't seem to be working correctly. I tried this several times with varying results.
1. Accepted the challenge, the gnoll attacks Imoen. I killed the Gnoll with my main character. 35 xp awarded for killing the gnoll.
2. Accepted the challenge, the gnoll attacks Imoen. I deal around 30 points of damage to it with Imoen. The gnoll appears to stop attacking, but still follows Imoen when running away. I initiate dialog with the gnoll and he tells me I won. The gnoll resumes attacking Imoen.
3. Told the gnolls I was going to kill them. They all turn hostile. I attack the main gnoll with all characters and deal a good amount of damage. The gnoll initiates dialog and tells me that I won. I am awarded 500 xp and all of the gnolls walk away.
Post edited by Balquo on
[Deleted User]

Comments

• ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    But remains neutral.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Could you provide more details than that?

Southwest of Nashkel, gnoll asks you for a 50 gp or fight. Beat him with bare hands, gnoll became unconscious. Woke up after some time (remained the blue circle) but tried to attack me. If I talk to him he tell me I can pass, but continued to attack anyway. The other gnolls won't go away eighter. Tried sever times always the same result.
    Tanthalas said:

Could you provide more details than that?

• SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    edited November 2012
    My only suggestion is to kill him... Click on the attack icon and force attack him. Erm, I can't remember the code. 'A' and click maybe?
    *Note, this is pre EE advice. Feel free to ignore if this doesn't help*
    lolien
    Splod said:

My only suggestion is to kill him... Click on the attack icon and force attack him. Erm, I can't remember the code. 'A' and click maybe?
    *Note, this is pre EE advice. Feel free to ignore if this doesn't help*

This was never a problem pre EE they simply walked away.
    lolien
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Yeah, Ludrug isn't recognizing when he's defeated. I can reproduce this.
  • ElectricardoElectricardo Member Posts: 14
    Current behavior:
    As you approach 4 gnolls one initiates dialog, dialog 1 results in a challenge, if you refuse the challenge they all attack but when you do enough damage to the primary gnoll he congratulates you. You get 500 xp and the 4 gnolls walk away.
    If you accept the challenge, all gnolls remain neutral and while neutral the primary gnoll attacks your strongest party member as pr the challenge, the fight does not stop until the gnoll is dead and you only get the standard 35 xp, the 3 remaining gnolls just stand there neutral.

Expected behavior
    As you approach 4 gnolls one initiates dialog, dialog 1 results in a challenge, if you refuse the challenge they all attack.
    If you accept the challenge, all gnolls remain neutral and while neutral the primary gnoll attacks your strongest party member as pr the challenge, the fight stops when you do enough damage to the primary gnoll, he congratulates you and you get 500 xp, the 4 gnolls walk away.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • J_the_CJ_the_C Member Posts: 4
    Found what appears to be a pretty vexing bug with the 'Ludrug' encounter, where a group of gnolls demand a toll from the party and, on refusal to pay, challenge the 'strongest fighter' in the main character's party to a duel (the encounter is in the north-middle of the map immediately east of the Gnoll Fortress)

Now, from what I remember from the original unmodded Baldur's Gate, the lead gnoll should target the party's highest strength character, admit defeat after being knocked out with fists (and only fists), and the party gain 500XP for meeting the challenge.

However, what I've found is that Ludrug always targets Imoen (if she's in the party), regardless of anything else; only asking Imoen to leave the party causes Ludrug to attack someone else, usually whoever he speaks to first.

Even stranger, after he's defeated and knocked out, he continues fighting after regaining consciousness, despite giving a dialogue implying he's admitting defeat. No XP award is given unless Ludrug is knocked out, and then allowed to kill the party member he wants to attack (!); after their death, the party earn 500XP, and the gnolls walk away and disappear.

Rather weird!
  • RadicalTedRadicalTed Member Posts: 10
    Same thing is happening to me, right now.
  • ElectricardoElectricardo Member Posts: 14
    Reported her.

As to why he targets Imoen, i'd guess she has the highest level in your party, she did in mine any way.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9243/gnoll-toll-challenge-in-ar5200-southwest-of-nashkel#latest
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Map with "Dryad of Cloudpeak" quest and Krumm

Observed behavior: Beating him unconscious with fists and triggering the "You won?!" dialogue does not stop him from continuing to attack you, nor does it grant an XP reward, forcing player to kill him. Weapons kill him outright, but I believe that was the case in Vanilla as well.

Intended: Stop fighting, other gnolls wander off, small xp reward, if I recall correctly.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Sounds like some variable mismanagement in their script. Thanks for mentioning the area, that helps a lot with these obscure wilderness quests. Registered.
  • CrystarkCrystark Member Posts: 22
    edited December 2012
    I've experienced the same problem. I managed to finish the quest by hiding in the shadows, so that the monster stops attacking me. That ends the battle and you get the 500 XP.
    This bug was reported in beta and somewhere in this thread too. Fixed today, expect in next patch.
    Aristillius
    @Ankheg not even in tutu?

@Ankheg not even in tutu?

Never played TuTu. I am a narrow-minded purist.:)
    [Deleted User]
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    I heart NearInfinity...unfortunately I don't yet know how to actually fix anything...

Actual: In dialog, Ludrug (GNOLL5) offers a challenge against the party's strongest member. The battle ends up being a fight to the death with no reward for winning the challenge

Expected: After some combat (10HP damage to Ludrug) combat stops, Ludrug and his companions leave and the party gets 500exp

Looking at the scripts, GNOLL5.dlg sets GnollFightOver to 1 when you say that you want to kill them (no challenge). In GNOLL5.bcs, it only evaluates ends the challenge if GnollFightOver is 1. So ending the fight and awarding the XP can never happen.

GNOLL5A.bcs has the companion Gnolls attack when GnollFightOver is 1, so this would also have to be corrected to agree with the meaning chosen for GNOLL5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I can confirm that this wasn't quite right in Tutu - the fight would still be to the death, but the other gnolls would walk away after the fight, and there is no xp reward.

Another point worth mentioning - the action Attack(StrongestOf) doesn't resolve in a way that makes sense to me, anyway. As noted above, Ludrug picked Imoen, probably because she was the highest level at the time. Not who I would have picked for hand to hand combat with a Gnoll...
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited December 2012
    There is also a bug with that gnoll in vanilla BG1... (the bcs is wrong, but i don't remember what exactly it was).
    Here's a patch - unzip the files and put them in your override folder:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwOwEmwBQcTWQUVBYUQ1LXFVUEE

Let me know if there are any problems.
    This one is officially fixed in the 2011 build. It still doesn't solve the following, but it works well enough that it probably isn't worth bothering over:
    * Accidentally kill Ludrug (crit hit) and there is no XP for the challenge
    * More that one party member can engage Ludrug with no penalty (I can't find a way to fix this)
    Cerevant said:

This one is officially fixed in the 2011 build. It still doesn't solve the following, but it works well enough that it probably isn't worth bothering over:
    * Accidentally kill Ludrug (crit hit) and there is no XP for the challenge
    * More that one party member can engage Ludrug with no penalty (I can't find a way to fix this)

As far as I know it was always so. Is it possible to kill with fists? (well, monks can do that ok)
    The accidental killing makes the rest of the guys leave.
    There have been efforts made so they notice if you cheat, in that case the other gnolls become hostile.
    I also think it doesn't worth to bother more with it.
    ankheg
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I just completed this challenge from Lugrug. I had to reload due to Ludrug and his posse going hostile if anyone other than the party leader entered into the one on one combat challenge.

I tried leading Minsc forward to speak to Ludrug and then have Minsc, and only Minsc accept the challenge and fight Ludrug. The red circles always appeared. The party leader, Charname, was able to challenge Ludrug without any hostility occurring. It seems the top-most portrait is the only challenge Ludrug will accept as honorable.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    @RnRClown He will fight the "StrongestOf" in your group. I'm not certain on the specifics on that but I assume your charname is "stronger" than Minsc.
  • RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    @Balquo I hadn't thought about that. Although, I would find it difficult to put Charname forward as superior to Minsc, but perhaps the CPU sees it differently.

Minsc - Ranger
    STR: 18/93 DEX: 15 CON: 15 INT: 8 WIS: 6 CHA: 9

Charname - Swashbuckler
    STR: 16 DEX: 18 CON: 15 INT: 13 WIS: 9 CHA: 19

Minsc has more attacks per round, a better THAC0 and rolls superior damage. He also has a better dice roll towards HP per level due to his class, dispelling the equality of a matching CON score. The only area where Charname takes the lead is in relation to DEX. But, I had Minsc rocking the DEX gauntlets to boost his score to 18 also.
    I think StrongestOf puts level at a high priority. When I was working on this, he always chose Imoen, as she was a level higher than Minsc or I