Skip to content

An Infinity Engine MMORPG

DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
I remember when Baldur's Gate first came out and I heard it had multiplayer, I remember thinking "It'd be awesome if its multiplayer was like Ultima Online!!" But alas, it couldn't have been further from the truth. So now, over a decade later of reflection and seeing the rise and falling of WoW, I remember the dream of a young teen all those years ago and think, "It would still be soooo awesome!"

Just imagine the endless possibilities if we had an Infinity Engine Forgotten Realms World. Now THAT'S worth a monthly $15...no $10....no.... nvm.

Comments

• IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    No monthly subscriptions please.:D but yeah that would be cool; then again, anything with IE is cool.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I'd definitely rather have a monthly subscription with everything available than a bunch of addons and bonuses that cost extra.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    edited December 2012
    @Shin
    I dunno... they had better put out at least $15 worth of brand new game content a month then. I'd rather pay for DLCs that way I could choose what to get and what to skip.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I'll go with an emphatic NO.
  • SilySily Member Posts: 91
    Yeah - No MMORPGs here!

Too many people = too many problems. But a Persistant World, ala NWN style? Oh yes, please.

Only MMORPGs what managed to keep the feeling of adventuring, dungeon crawling and all that would've been DDO and GW1, both because of heavy use of instancing. I don't want to see Hundreds of adventurers going non-stop into the same catacombs/tomb/temple. -Unless- we bring realistic consequences into the game, and then it would be just hilarious.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I just something as customizable as NWN. Im still so upset about Gamespy shutting down its multiplayer.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    impossible because of the effort it takes to bring areas alive in the infinity engine - no tile based semi-randomness-slash-minimum-human-input-content-generation
  • Prince_of_LiesPrince_of_Lies Member Posts: 90
    Why would you ruin a classic, beautifully made single-player RPG?
    Blegh.
    No.
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    You lost me at MMORPG.
  • MalrickMalrick Member Posts: 2
    bob_veng said:

impossible because of the effort it takes to bring areas alive in the infinity engine - no tile based semi-randomness-slash-minimum-human-input-content-generation

That's what I love about this engine though. I can still play Planescape: Torment, and it not only looks good...it looks AMAZING. Like a painting. Trying to play any other game from around 1999 is nearly impossible. This is one of the reason's I'm so excited for Project Eternity. The engine seems to have that same hand painted feel (Maybe even MORE so) that the Infinity Engine classics had. http://media.obsidian.net/eternity/media/screenshots/0001/PE-TempleEntrance01-2560x1440.jpg
  • LeematonLeematon Member Posts: 33
    An MMO where each player controlled up to 6 characters seems nice on paper but in practice would make things far too crowded.

An MMO set in the Forgotten Realms is always welcome though and I'm really looking forward to the imminent release of the Neverwinter MMO (despite the 4th ed rules). If the Baldur's gate area is eventually added to the Neverwinter gameworld so much the better.