Skip to content

Rasaad should have 18 dex

jhneohjhneoh Member Posts: 42
So I was looking at the stats for the various pure fighter class NPCs in BG EE, and here's what I found.

Sum total of STR/DEX/CON

Dorn: 49 (more like 50 or 51, since 19 STR is a huge upgrade from 18 STR)
Kivan: 49
Khalid: 48
Minsc: 48
Kagain: 48
Ajantis: 46
Rasaad: 46
Shar-Teel: 44

Dorn and Kivan are beastly (we all knew that though). Rasaad has lower stats than almost all the other fighters, but here's the thing, he can't wear plate armour. Not only is he squishier than all the pure fighters, he doesnt even bring anything else to the table at BG:EE levels.

I modded his Dex up to 18 (total 48) and he's a bit better now. The extra 2 AC bonus helps significantly in keeping him alive, though he still takes a lot of damage.

lunarSpaceInvaderdoomdoomdoomQuartzDragonspearDeltaslayerAristilliusSwordsNotWords

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I concur. I gave him Gauntlets of Dex and he became a bit better, actually. Helps with his sling too. Then again, his greatest weakness is not being able to wear a helmet. He was lvl 4 with 28 HP and died against the goblins in Neera's quest because the little buggers kept crit'in him on the face!
    Aristillius
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Cheater!!! :D just kidding its a single player game so no matter what you do and that change does seem like something that i would do but i would use in game item for it, BUT the best part of this game for me is that everyone is not as good as the other so you can get godly good party or crappy team if you like.
    Calmar
  • doomdoomdoomdoomdoomdoom Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2012
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing the other day.

There's been plenty of "Rasaad sucks" threads but the fact is they are well warranted.

They screwed him up royally. Mediocre stats and awful weapon proficiencies selection on a melee class that is pretty weak and super squishy at low levels.

With 18 DEX and a sling or dart or dagger proficiency instead of that stupid wasted point in katanas, and he'd be a very solid character.
    BelgarathMTH
    edited December 2012
    My main point was that i dont want each character to be to same... kagain is tank, minsc is dps, ajantis is crap, rasaad is crappier.

with str belt and dex gautlets rasaad has 54 total stats which is nice for anyone.
  • jhneohjhneoh Member Posts: 42
    raywind said:

My main point was that i dont want each character to be to same... kagain is tank, minsc is dps, ajantis is crap, rasaad is crappier.

with str belt and dex gautlets rasaad has 54 total stats which is nice for anyone.

With BOTH the str belt and dex gauntlets he better be playable...
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    What's the point if he can't properly wear the Gauntlets of Crushing? :/
    Gauntlets of crushing are for your PC monk :D so you can have monk party funfun time!
  • jhneohjhneoh Member Posts: 42

What's the point if he can't properly wear the Gauntlets of Crushing? :/

You can give him the Belt of Hill Giant Strength and Troll Brains.

• SedSed Member Posts: 790
    He actually became pretty decent with the str belt and dex gauntlets at max BGEE levels ^^
    Aristillius
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813

Yeah I was thinking the same thing the other day.

There's been plenty of "Rasaad sucks" threads but the fact is they are well warranted.

They screwed him up royally. Mediocre stats and awful weapon proficiencies selection on a melee class that is pretty weak and super squishy at low levels.

With 18 DEX and a sling or dart or dagger proficiency instead of that stupid wasted point in katanas, and he'd be a very solid character.

They certainly didn't screw him up. Give him the Str Belt and the +2 THAC0 gloves and he's competent. After some investment I'm pretty happy with him in the mid to late portions of BG:EE. Also remember that the Monk kit was never intended to be played in BG1 anyway, just like many of the other kits available. People expect too much out of Rasaad especially when he's always being compared to Dorn.

Also, you said that basically with +1 AC and a Sling proficiency he would be a very solid character.... Well it's not very far off that you can obtain a +1 protection ring and notch Rasaad a sling proficiency...lol. Have some patience and investment and you'll may rewarded for developing him.

Photobucket

• hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    edited December 2012
    With the Scimitar +3 with a bonus of 2 to the AC, that can be stolen from Drizzt early in the game plus the Gauntlets of Dexterity, he is quite enjoyable. His next point should be put in single weapon style, that's another -1 to AC plus double crit chance with his weapon. Give him a +1 ring or amulet as well, there are plenty of them in the game.

This way he reaches AC values similar to the tank chars. Plus his melee capabilities are well as well.
    His weakness remain his low HP and no crit defense.
    edited December 2012

Also, you said that basically with +1 AC and a Sling proficiency he would be a very solid character.... Well it's not very far off that you can obtain a +1 protection ring and notch Rasaad a sling proficiency...lol. Have some patience and investment and you'll may rewarded for developing him.

I'm well aware of what to do to make him more effective. That's not the point of this thread.

Although the same argument you and others make "give him the belt and the gauntlets and wait til he levels up and blah blah" has one flaw - anyone can become competent with powerful equipment at max level, so that point is irrelevant.

The point is that they could have easily made him more attractive to begin with, without making him overpowered with super high stat rolls or anything. Just by making sensible choices anyone would do rolling their own monk.

And it's +2 AC btw.
    MalmerAasimar069BelgarathMTHQuartz
  • alaundoalaundo Member Posts: 131
    Arent the gauntlets of ogre power much more usefull on him to give him better natural thaco and dmg boosts?
    Quartz
  • ArcticArctic Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2012
    I would like to see rashad with 18 dex and at least 16 con , also Neera with 18 int and maybe 15 con too , but you can edit de CRE File , and maybe they get better stats for bg2, as viconia 16->18 wisdom

@alundo the belt is better , since it gives more strength and let the hands free for the monk ones
    Ok, so where is this belt be found then? cant remember a +str belt in BG1..
    @alaundo Can be found in the dungeon of Rasaad's final quest.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    edited December 2012
    Arctic said:

I would like to see rashad with 18 dex and at least 16 con , also Neera with 18 int and maybe 15 con too , but you can edit de CRE File , and maybe they get better stats for bg2, as viconia 16->18 wisdom

@alundo the belt is better , since it gives more strength and let the hands free for the monk ones

Viconia went from 15 to 18 WIS, IIRC.

And yes, Rashaad should have 18 in dex, so that it frees the slot for another item (either gloves of strength or TAC0 + damage).
    thx doomdoomdoom me arent that far in the story but good to know ;)
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2012
    I think they gave him the stats he has because he is pretty charismatic and his wisdom is also rather high for a melee character so those two stats being 14s makes the rest of his combat related ones suffer.

I understand the reasoning behind not giving him 18/xx strength or 18 dex. That still doesn't change the fact that he dies more than my mages do.. I just can't find a reason to use him personally although im sure there are others out there who are willing to wait till he hits 8-9 to start actually using him in melee. I always take Kivan and imoen as my ranged units... i really don't need 3.
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    I like his personality but i find his background boring.. i hate hearing about monk life. Just my personal prejudices..

Kind of opposite with Neera. I find her background story intriguing, but she is kind of a b****..
    lunarMERLANCE
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    @DJKajuru I like Rasaad's personality and backstory. Even though I can play a very mean evil character at heart I like being the good guy, and Rasaad is just a genuinely nice guy. Also, even though he may not shine as brightly as some in BG:EE, he works well enough and I beat the game with him in my party... and Aec'Letec, and the demon knight. Midway through BG2, he's going to start looking pretty spiffy since monk class features scale nicely with level.
    DJKajuru
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    edited December 2012

I'm well aware of what to do to make him more effective. That's not the point of this thread.

Although the same argument you and others make "give him the belt and the gauntlets and wait til he levels up and blah blah" has one flaw - anyone can become competent with powerful equipment at max level, so that point is irrelevant.

The point is that they could have easily made him more attractive to begin with, without making him overpowered with super high stat rolls or anything. Just by making sensible choices anyone would do rolling their own monk.

And it's +2 AC btw.
    If they instead made an NPC using one of the many other BG2 kits that scale horribly in BG1, people would be saying that NPC sucks also, regardless if they gave him Max starting stats. You say he doesn't bring anything to the table at BG:EE levels but his stun utility is highly useful. You can basically petrify as many enemies as you can hit in it's duration. He also learns the Lay on Hands ability....somewhat making up for his lack of AC

I think the Main reason people think Rasaad sucks is because he's always compared to Dorn. If Dorn wasn't so insanely overpowered I think Rasaad would be getting less hate. Dorn just makes him look mediocre.

I feel like even if they gave him 18 dex he would still have the same issues. He is still a low level Monk in a game that wasn't designed for Monks.

Post edited by EnterHaerDalis on
    DJKajuru
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    edited December 2012
    I suppose if monks got a higher AC bonus at level 1, but a less impressive AC progression by level that would fix part of the problem. Like, say, +3 more AC at level 1 than they have now, but additional increases every 3 levels rather than every 2 levels. By level 14 the old progression has caught up to them, again at 16, and by level 22 they will be worse for the rest of the game. If you only did a +2 higher AC bonus at level 1 and increases every 3 levels, it catches up to the old table at level 8, again at level 10 and by level 16 the old progression would be better for the rest of the game.

Anyway, I am OK with using Rasaad in his current form, and if monk were my class of choice I would work through it just fine as well.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I've been playing with rasaad so far and I must say that he works REALLY well as a backup npc. In combat he can use his great speed to reach archers and darts to disrupt enemy mages. 'Sides, I like him !
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    edited December 2012
    I haven't played him yet. Though when I will I think about giving him the Staff of Striking. Which is an insane two hander with 1d6+9 dmg. Monk with staff kinda sounds awesome :D