Skip to content

The Truth

Just a word of warning: this may shock and disturb you. But I feel that the public must be aware of the horrible truth, lest it will never be changed into the better.

The novelizations are considered more canon than the games.

Comments

• mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    o_o
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    And this should matter to me how?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Not much can be done about that. The truth is awful, regardless.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Yep, unfortunately, in the FR world the novels are canon, not the games.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I guess that's just another reason why the canon shouldn't govern your game choices.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I don't care. Failure of a novel will remain a failure, no matter if it's canon or not.
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    Beware: book canon rules all! :)

Thus i'm shadowkeeping my Xan NPC to a fighter and i will also stage a fight where his head is swallowed by a spider!
  • AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261
    Says who? The truth is whatever the majority accepts as truth
    And as far as I know the majority would rather pretend that the books never existed
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    mch202 said:

o_o

I could not have said it better, thanks.
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    edited December 2012
    Silchas said:

Says who? The truth is whatever the majority accepts as truth
    And as far as I know the majority would rather pretend that the books never existed

Especially when it comes to small details like heliocentrism, existence of atoms, bacteria etc :D

C'mon man. Truth might be many things but DEFINITELY what most people believe in is NOT a good truth-marker.

And yes, i know we talk about BG canon, nothing else.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    FR canon and BG canon are all messed up anyway.

My favorite example: Lathander and Amaunator are (and always were) the same god. Therefore, the eternal followers of Amaunator beneath Athkatla and the ones wiped out at the shadow temple were abandoned... by their lawful good deity. This contradiction arose because the writers of the FR 4e setting hadn't played enough Baldur's Gate: shame on them!

Just think of it like Blazblue: every player's playthrough (including the ones where CHARNAME dies) all happened, and simultaneously... somehow. :P
  • MikkelMikkel Member Posts: 86

Just think of it like Blazblue: every player's playthrough (including the ones where CHARNAME dies) all happened, and simultaneously... somehow. :P

That's the thing though, you can't use a game as (relatively) free-form as Baldur's Gate as canon. Since there is an official novelization, using it as canon makes sense. Just too bad that the novelization turned out to be... less than it could have been, given the source material.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    What does Canon mean
    edited December 2012
    @JonelethIrenicus Canon refers to the 'official' version of a story.

Example: In Metal Gear Solid either Snake did or did not manage to save Meryl. In MGS2 they never mentioned this directly, but in MGS4 she returns. Therefore the 'canon' of Metal Gear is that she survived and the ending where she dies never happened.

More wordy but this may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_(fiction)
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    Meh, as far as I'm concerned the only thing that is canon is baldurs gate 1. The rest are extras made to cash in on something that worked.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Sad that the person who wrote the novels never played the games really.
    Didn't the novels come out before the game?
    @kilroy_was_here the first novel came out the year after the first game.
    @Moomintroll I give up then. I blame the people who buy those books more than the schlock-jockey that wrote it.
    @kilroy_was_here it seems weird to me that canon choices can be made, after the story has been played out many thousands of times in various different ways. I wonder if there is any realms history or literature that actually relies on what was set out in the BG novels?
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    ..well, fortunaly I don't care about books ..those are for ..eh for whiping my donkey!
    @Moomintroll I think 4e is set hundreds of years afterwards. I didn't read the novels myself, so I don't know if CHARNAME accepted the offer at the end of TOB or not. I would assume not since he's not listed as a deity. So what else could it possibly have affected?
  • OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56
    by Terry Pratchett.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    I can't handle the truth.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Ossory said:

by Terry Pratchett.

You're now imagining what the books would have been like had Pratchett been the one writing them.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Ossory said:

by Terry Pratchett.

The truth shall make ye fret
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,153
    The idea of canon in a game setting is kind of amusing.
  • BlackIvoryBlackIvory Member Posts: 75
    WAIT. wait wait wait wait, just.....wait.

There are Baldur's Gate NOVELS?!