Skip to content

adding new classes, races and classkits

tommytommy Member Posts: 401
edited December 2012 in General Modding
1: is it easily possible to create new classes, races?
New classes and races cant be added to the game. If you want a new class or race you must override an existing one, but be carefull overriding a class which has classkits can be kind of complicated.

2: is it easily possible to create new classkits?
yes ist easy, but you have some main limitations:
-sourceres,monks and barbarians can't have kits
-the symbols of the interface are transmitted from the main class. Disabling symbols isn't a problem, but you can't add new Symbols
-spellcasting is only allowed if the main class can spellcasting

for a full list if limitations and a tutorial to create a classkit look at the following link:
http://www.shsforums.net/topic/7381-bg2-kit-creation/

3: is it possible to change the Class of a NPC?
yes you can*

3a: can i also give them a classkit?
yes you can*

*to change the class use one of the regular modding tools (on ecample shadowkeeper or DLTC). All NPCs can be found in the creature section (CRE).

Post edited by tommy on

Comments

• tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    i have found a side with gameengine limitation:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/7381-bg2-kit-creation/

so my Question is, are the same limitations in BG:EE or are there more posibilitys now?
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    edited December 2012
    I may be wrong but I think the old limitations are still there...

Anyway the guide is very good and I recommend it for anyone who'd like to give a try at Kit modding, but I think there are some things that changed with the overhaul concerning modding the game so you'd better ask someone who already succeeded in adding kit to BG:EE
  • LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    @tommy Allow me to answer your questions more directly, as there are some grey areas here:

1: You can't really create a new class or race, though you can significantly alter existing ones. As far as races go, you can basically change any existing race into anything else (with a few artifacts), you just can't increase the total number of them.

1/1a: Kits, on the other hand, is where you will find the greatest potential for customization. There are a handful of constraints, most of which can be hacked around in one way or another (for example, to accomodate different kit's weapon availability my mod removed the hard restriction on weapons for clerics). You can actually get pretty crazy with the kits once you know what you're doing.

2: Yes and yes. You can do this via mod or via Shadowkeeper (if you just want to change a party member for a specific save/playthrough).
  • tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    @LaughingMan thanks a lot thats what i want to know. But can you give me also a little explain in how to give a NPC a new class throught a mod
  • LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    Most of my modding has been focused on the main character, but it all basically comes down to tracking down the compressed file within the BIF files, extracting, editing and the saving the updated file to the override directory. There are a number of tools available to make this manageable/possible, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.