Skip to content

Where is the game manual?

popopopo Member Posts: 13
And why isn't it offered more obviously on this website???

If we're going to have to look up the meanings of spell icons (very annoying) I imagine there's a manual somewhere.

Comments

• RafnerRafner Member Posts: 64
    Well if you go into your spellbook you can read about all your spells by pressing and holding on a spell. This only works if you have filled up all your available spell slots though.
  • popopopo Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2012
    Wait... You can?? I was sure ai tried that.
    Well... Here is the original, downloadable on iPad, straight to your iBooks app...

Brings back memories...

http://replacementdocs.com/request.php?310
  • BJMJDBJMJD Member Posts: 192
    You can find the manual here:

http://www.baldursgate.com/manuals.en.html
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    The official manual at the link above is downloadable to iBooks.

The tap/hold response in the spell area is filed as a bug.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited December 2012
    Very odd they forgot to put a link to it in the game.
    Wow. Not only is there no link to it in the game, but there's no link to it from this site. Huh???
    Request to Beamdog:

Since the majority of players will be reading that manual on their iPads (most likely in iBooks) can we get a more readable font? This one reduces pretty poorly.

And these manuals should really be accessible from within the game.

• jkmcnejkmcne Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I had to do a half hour google search to find the manuals the link should really be on the front page in a clear and visible place.
  • D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
    on PC you can find the manuals in C:\Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\Manuals
    "Program Files (x86)" for a 64 bit system, than there is a French version and an English version, two different manuals in each language.

BG EE doesn't download the manuals when installing the game (would be nice if it did), but as mentioned above you can download it manually or transfer the manuals from the PC to iPad with iFunBox if you have a PC version of BG EE.
  • Ysil69Ysil69 Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2012
    Rafner said:

Well if you go into your spellbook you can read about all your spells by pressing and holding on a spell. This only works if you have filled up all your available spell slots though.

Or just right click said spell...

Edit: And I don't know about the ipad, but there's a link to manuals in the BG launcher. It goes "for manuals click here" Than explains the previous update.
    Post edited by Ysil69 on
    Overhaul has done an extremely poor job providing documentation to iPad customers.

The manual is available, but the link isn't *anywhere* except on this forum in a few places. And the manual font is difficult to read on the iPad.

Making matters worse is that Spell Information isn't available in-game on the iPad for Wizard and Priest spells. So there's no way to know what the spells are unless you have the manual.

As an old-time Baldur's Gate player, I remember most of them. But to any new players purchasing the iPad version, the game must be absurdly confusing. Imagine seeing a page of spell-icons and having no idea what they mean and having zero way of looking them up?

It's a disastrous oversight, and what's worse is that weeks have now gone by and there's *still* no link to the manual on the front page of baldursgate.com

Hello, Beamdog? Anyone there?

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    edited December 2012
    popo said:

Overhaul has done an extremely poor job providing documentation to iPad customers.

The manual is available, but the link isn't *anywhere* except on this forum in a few places. And the manual font is difficult to read on the iPad.

Making matters worse is that Spell Information isn't available in-game on the iPad for Wizard and Priest spells. So there's no way to know what the spells are unless you have the manual.

As an old-time Baldur's Gate player, I remember most of them. But to any new players purchasing the iPad version, the game must be absurdly confusing. Imagine seeing a page of spell-icons and having no idea what they mean and having zero way of looking them up?

It's a disastrous oversight, and what's worse is that weeks have now gone by and there's *still* no link to the manual on the front page of baldursgate.com

Hello, Beamdog? Anyone there?

@popo
    The spell descriptions is available in the game, as explained just a couple of posts above yours....

Go to your Spell, book tap and hold a spell, then release, and the detailed description for that particular spell is shown.
    It only works after your spell book is filled though, which is an oversight.

The manual ought to have been in the iPad release or at least a direct link, as it can be easily read in Safari on the iPad, and I don't personally have any problems reading t on the iPad. Looks like others have though, which I don't understand at all...
    Screenshot from manual read in Safari on my iPad:

image/img
    Sarthos
  • SarthosSarthos Member Posts: 31
    In iBooks, just orient to landscape and double tap and it will zoom in nicely. A second double tap will cancel the zoom.