Skip to content

Wisdom and the wish spell

szbszb Member Posts: 220
I'm creating a new illusionist/thief and plan to complete the whole saga eventually. I remember that for the best wish results you need high intelligence (no problem there) and also wisdom.
Anyone know what is the minimum amount of wisdom you need for the best results?

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It's no specific level required - they are spread out and they all the way up to 18 if you want.

My advice would be to drink a potion of wisdom before casting
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Yeah, you'll want an 18 wisdom to get the most bang for your buck.

Of course, there are plenty of ways to improve your wisdom, both temporarily and permanently, throughout the series. You don't need to roll your character at 18 wisdom to get Wish to work for you.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    If I remember correctly, you could also have another character with high wisdom speak to the djinn?
  • szbszb Member Posts: 220
    OK thanks. Forgot about drinking potions and if using another character to speak to the djinn works too then its great.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    szb said:

OK thanks. Forgot about drinking potions and if using another character to speak to the djinn works too then its great.

I'm not 100% sure obviously, but if bg2ee uses the latest patches and fixes, then the tactic of speaking to the djinn with another party member will not work.

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    Using another character to speak to djinn may not work anymore... Bioware fixed that for ToB and the greater wish spell as I recall. I wouldn't be surprised if BG2:EE fixes it for both wishes.
  • szbszb Member Posts: 220
    Hmm even if that doesn't work, its ok. The potion tactic is still good then.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    You can get 3 tomes of wisdom in BG1, the Machine of Lum the Mad can add one in BG2 and one of the "Good" rewards in Hell is +2 wisdom if I recall correctly. And you can use potions.

Unless you're using wisdom as a dump stat it shouldn't be an issue.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Yes, I have never cast a Wish where the djinn didn't automatically present the caster with a list of options.

If you dump Wisdom down to 3 or something like that, you are never going to cast a Wish that ends well, even with a potion.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Yes, I have never cast a Wish where the djinn didn't automatically present the caster with a list of options.

If you dump Wisdom down to 3 or something like that, you are never going to cast a Wish that ends well, even with a potion.

Why not? A potion can raise Wisdom to 18 for a long time
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    ...nevermind
    valky said:

wisdom 18 gives you all the options, nothing google couldn't have answered you too.

Yes, but you don't need 18 Wisdom as a permanent stat
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    yeah I know, I never (ab)used wish anyway...but I think the one spell, that's worth using:
    "Cast a double-length Time Stop and Improved Alacrity on the caster"

(and if you don't play with mods, that raise the difficult level of specific encounter..or encounter at all..you just dont need it...IMO; the engine has a lot of flaws..or you just rofl-stomp everything or you feeblemind it in case it's a dragon ^^ everything is valid&possible in bg2)
  • NFurterNFurter Member Posts: 5
    I don't see why either. Anyway, there are potion cases enough to save a lot of potions, so I always do that. Same goes now for BG EE, i always keep all the fortitude potions I can buy/find to max CON before levelling up *looking at Xan*
    My fighter/mage in BGEE only has 6 Wis, I'll probably use a tome or two to get rid of the lore malus, but I see no reason to need it higher, as I can just chug a potion to get 18 Wisdom for Wish, or am I missing something?
    NFurter said:

I don't see why either. Anyway, there are potion cases enough to save a lot of potions, so I always do that. Same goes now for BG EE, i always keep all the fortitude potions I can buy/find to max CON before levelling up *looking at Xan*

How does that help? Con bonuses to HP apply the current Con, if that changes, so does your HP, for better or worse. Just boosting it before levelling doesn't make a long-term difference, I think
  • NFurterNFurter Member Posts: 5

How does that help? Con bonuses to HP apply the current Con, if that changes, so does your HP, for better or worse. Just boosting it before levelling doesn't make a long-term difference, I think

Hmm for some reason, I was so sure it worked! But I just tried, and you're right... Well at least, I don't feel bad anymore about being too lazy to load all the times I forgot to drink one :)

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    edited December 2012
    Tresset said:

Using another character to speak to djinn may not work anymore... Bioware fixed that for ToB and the greater wish spell as I recall. I wouldn't be surprised if BG2:EE fixes it for both wishes.

The last time I checked, it worked with the Limited Wish spell. Edwin cast it and Vicky spoke to the genie to get the best results. But not sure about the Wish spell. I guess it's a matter of pausing at the precising moment and have someone w/ high wisdom to initiate talk to the genie.

• PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    If you're going to be wishing a lot, there are only so many potions of wisdom in the game.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    PugPug said:

If you're going to be wishing a lot, there are only so many potions of wisdom in the game.

^
    This! ..

and you will use it a lot, if you use it for re-memorizing your spells and think resting for doing so is a bit cheesy in mob infested areas :) !!
    Kurumi said:

PugPug said:

^
    This! ..

and you will use it a lot, if you use it for re-memorizing your spells and think resting for doing so is a bit cheesy in mob infested areas :) !!
    Okay, finally a reason I can understand. The problem for my build, though, was that as a fighter/mage you really need high Str, Dex, Con *and Int*, so *something* has to be used as a dump stat, if you don't want to spend hours rolling (I usually limit myself to 10 or at most 20 rolls). For a non-multi mage I can see how high Wisdom might be worth it, though.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560

Okay, finally a reason I can understand. The problem for my build, though, was that as a fighter/mage you really need high Str, Dex, Con *and Int*, so *something* has to be used as a dump stat, if you don't want to spend hours rolling (I usually limit myself to 10 or at most 20 rolls). For a non-multi mage I can see how high Wisdom might be worth it, though.

Well, I did once roll an 18 18 18 18 18 4...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    I guess dumping Charisma is the only other option... after all you could just pick up an npc (Imoen perhaps) with high charisma and put them in as leader. Hmmm.
    Tresset said:

I guess dumping Charisma is the only other option... after all you could just pick up an npc (Imoen perhaps) with high charisma and put them in as leader. Hmmm.

Or Dorn...