Skip to content

Drizzt not attacking Gnolls

BlindStrikerBlindStriker Member Posts: 10
edited January 2013 in Fixed
After offer help, Drizzt walking around instead of attacking.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• AthiuenAthiuen Member Posts: 28
    edited December 2012
    OP: When encountering Drizzt if the party agrees to aid him, Drizzt will not attack the gnolls surrounding him but rather wander around aimlessly until the party kills the gnolls.
    Incredibly annoying considering the difficulty of the encounter without Drizzt's aid at low levels.

Observed Behaviour: When encountering Drizzt if the party agrees to aid him, Drizzt will not attack the gnolls surrounding him but rather wander around aimlessly until the party kills the gnolls.

Expected Behaviour: Drizzt will attack the creatures that are hostile the the player characters.
    Post edited by Avenger_teambg on
    However I've found that if the party simply attacks the gnolls while keeping Drizzt off screen he will kill those around him.
    On further analysis this is probably becuase when the gnolls spot party member they will immediately cease any combats they were in (ie: with drizzt), and attack the party. Drizzt does not appear to attack unless he is being attacked and thus he does not fight.
  • AshlspiessAshlspiess Member Posts: 26
    I discovered this too, quite the disappointment as he instagibbed each gnoll in the original, pretty entertaining to watch. Instead of holding off on the encounter and waiting for this to be fixed I just killed all the gnolls anyway for some extra XP. Hopefully it will be fixed my next time thru.
  • InsIns Member Posts: 11
    When I encountered drizzt he asked for my help to kill a big gnoll mob. Instead of helping me fight the mob, he walks around randomly.
  • VarilVaril Member Posts: 14
    Same here. Drizzt sits back and makes me fight Gnolls alone.

Intended behavior : I sit back and watch Drizzt fight Gnolls alone. ;)
    I restarted my game as a new character and this time when I encountered drizzt he began insta-gibbing the gnolls. Not sure what made him wander about uselessly the first time.
  • ChrisYuiChrisYui Member Posts: 94
    Yeah, Drizzt doesn't attack unless attacked. For some reason the gnolls all now spam attack either CHARNAME or the closest party member. This causes two bugs: One, in that Drizzt will not attack ( counterattack ) the gnolls, resulting in him just standing there during the fight instead of putting on a fantastic show, and Two, the gnolls will continuously stutter in their movement because they're continually being "commanded" to attack, resulting in them being ridiculously easy to kill with ranged weapons.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    I encountered Drizzt and the encounter is nothing like the original BG encounter.

1. His voice doesn't trigger when he talks to you.
    2. He is supposed to attack the Gnolls when you decide to join his side.

He does neither in BGEE, he just wanders around.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    I dunno, in the original I've seen him get messed up and the gnolls actually kill him...pretty boring fight, just 8 of them surrounding him and occasionally critical hitting, till he dies.

in that case it's cause he kept trying to come talk to me and got stuck on a gnoll I guess. Also he's supposed to start attacking gnolls as soon as he comes into LOS of one of your characters, until you get a little closer then he moves to talk to you.
  • AuznerAuzner Member Posts: 2
    He DOES fight the gnolls with the party in the original game. Instead he just stood there and wandered left a little. The gnolls also ignored him. My party had to do all of the work. I was able to talk to him normally afterwards as if he had participated.
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    Same here. Drizzt engages dialogue with my party, and then whether I accept to help him or not, he stands still, the gnolls ignore him and instead storm my party which has to fight them on its own. I am full of nostalgia for that fight and I was looking forward to it: great disappointment!
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    i walked away from the gnolls after the coversation ended and a few attacked him.. he ended up killing one half and i the other
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    Same for me, and also, if when he walks around he goes out of sight, he disappeares and I can't find him after beating the gnolls to have a reward
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Drizzt helps you, but only if you speak with him with the CHARNAME. Not an issue.

But it is an inconsistency in the game, that you have to speak with the CHARNAME with some NPCs, then there are others with you have to speak with your highest charisma character, but you are in wandering zone so you place your tank to the front and so on.
    @sese79 I brought my CHARNAME alone to test your hypothesis: Drizzt does not always fight. After redoing the battle half a dozen of times, it seems to me that Drizzt fights if and only if just after the dialogue closes there is at least one gnoll close enough to him. If it is not so, he stands still for a while and then starts moving around, the gnoll royally ignoring him. In that case I tried to manoeuvre the beasts to bring them close to Drizzt but to no avail: a gnoll has to be almost next to him when the fight starts for him to fight.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Yes, you have to speak with him with your CHARNAME and Drizzt has to be near to the gnolls. But he stays there in the middle of their circle, so this was not an issue for me. But it could be a problem in Multiplayer I will test it later.
  • SandmanSandman Member Posts: 73
    I've had Drizzt not help me even after speaking to him before the Gnolls attack. I have tried this encounter quite a few times as I tried taking on Drizzt but failed miserably. :-)
    @sandman Try coming with your CHARNAME alone from the south and as soon as you see the first gnolls, then start walking toward the right, along the edge of the woods. That tends to bring at least one gnoll close enough to Drizzt that after he is done talking to you, he will attack that gnoll straight away. It did not work every time for me but after doing it all over again a couple of times, it did.

But definitively, the script for that scene is buggy and it should be fixed to make Drizzt attack the gnolls 100% of the time, irrespective of the context.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    There were two problems: the dialog wasn't setting the flag for Drizzt to start fighting (causing him to stand around) and he was using SHOUT.BCS which does some strange interaction including running away from the last person he talked to. Here is a patch with the following two changes:

* If you agree to help him, DRIZZT.DLG sets DrizztFight to 1, causing him to start fighting the Gnolls.
    * DRIZZT.CRE does not use SHOUT.BCS, a script which doesn't seem useful to a cre with no allies anyway.

Note that the second fix will not affect your save game if you have already been to the map where Drizzt is (AR4200). The other should still work, you will just have to look around for Drizzt after the battle.

Just unzip and drop the files in your override folder...and let me know if there are any problems!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwOwEmwBQcTWMGJMdWI4SE9PUFE
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Thanks @Cerevant, this might be a lifesaver.
    edited December 2012
    done
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    The Drizzt encounter seems broken

The gnolls just stand there and Drizzt doesn't help out in killing them, just keeps patrolling around
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    known bug and should be fixed in the coming patch.
    edited January 2013
    done