Skip to content

Port character with custom portrait from PC to iPad

D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
edited January 2013 in iPad (Archive)
I have been requested to create instructions how to Port your character with a custom portrait from PC to iPad, so here it is.

steps to follow:

1) first you must create a custom portrait ,I think if you are reading this you already know how to do this, but just in case you do not here is a link to the forum with instructions how to do so "http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7461/heres-how-to-use-custom-portraits/p1"

2) than you must port your saved games to the iPad, follow this link with instructions how to do so "http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11504/transferring-bgee-saves-to-ipad#latest", if you want to port saved characters in copy and paste the characters folder/directory (the entire folder/directory with the character files inside) to the iPad Library directory (same please where you put the "save" folder/directory)

3) using iFunBox put the portraits you used in the PC version to the iPad in Baldur's Gate -> Library -> Portraits.
EDIT: portraits is spelt with a lower case "p" I have just found In another thread. Sorry, this will fix some issues people are having.

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask if I have made something unclear or if you have any other questions.

Have fun playing Baldur's Gate EE!
Post edited by D3V11_ on
davemo

Comments

• TarantioTarantio Member Posts: 11
    edited December 2012
    I placed the Portraits folder in the library but it doesn't seem to work for me. The game see the save and I can load it, but in place of the character portrait there is only a black space and if I try to go on the character profile page the game crash. Plus the pc version method of changing Npcs portaits doesn't work either.

p.s.
    I'm running the game on an Ipad 3 and I don't have any in-app installed (i'm sort of hoping that i can resolve the problem buying the portaits pack).
    ronny
  • D3V11_D3V11_ Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2012
    if the PC version dos not work, it will not work on the iPad version, pleas see "http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7461/heres-how-to-use-custom-portraits/p1" discusion and follow the steps exactly.

make sure it works on the PC first, than try putting it to iPad.

*edit*
    ah misunderstood, thought you wrote portraits don't work on PC also (above still applies tho).

if you followed the steps exactly as on the link I have sent it should work... I used GIMP to modify all my images, it is free and a very good tool to make/modify images. make sure the image is a 24 bit image.
    *edit*
    I used paint of windows 7 to edit the portaits, and I remember saving the pictures in the 24 bit format, I could be wrong so I'll check when I return home tonight. Seem strange since it worked fine on the PC but it could be in the 32 bit or something I guess.
    Do you know if it work for the Npc portraits the same way of the pc version? I really hate the Bg1 Imoen and Viconia portraits.
    ronny
    lol "I really hate the Bg1 Imoen and Viconia portraits." sorry i find that funny, but I understand, although it doesn't bother me really.

I haven't tried to change the portraits on any NPC's but if you cant do it the same way as your character you may be able to use ShadowKeep follow the steps in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7205/getting-shadowkeeper-to-work-with-bgee/p1

this is for the PC, you would have to try yourself, porting your saved game to iPad with that portrait saved there. pleas confirm if you get it.

I have a portrait you can use that works for me that you can try, let me know of a way I can send the set to you and i will.
    I tried again (and this time I'm sure the portraits are the right format and dimensions) but it didn't work. Hell I even tried to rename them so they were All Cap, extension included. At this point I think I must have skipped some other step, but I have no idea which one (Portraits is in the Library folder and the baldur.gam is All Cap)

ShadowKeeper works with the saves, but it doesn't let me change the pictures. It doesn't show the pics I have in the portraits folder since they are in a different format from the bg2 ones.

Thanks for the offer, If It's not too much trouble, could you place it in a zip file and upload it on mediafire, 4shared or whatever filesharing server you like and post the link here? (Whith mediafire I think you don't even have to create an account to upload or if you have to it's a free one)
    ronny
    thanks for the suggestions of file sharing servers, I used mediafire, here is a link to one set of test images for a portrait: http://www.mediafire.com/?g3qx4nyeml066m4

let me know what happens.
  • KalalioKalalio Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012
    Hey guys, glad to see people working on a way to get custom portraits into the game.

My dilemma is that I don't have access to a PC, much less a PC with another copy of BGEE. So to try and work around that limitation, I hoped to to replace one of the default portraits(Man1) using a MAC. Putting the port in Portraits doesn't seem to do anything. I tried creating an override folder in the same folder(Library) as the portraits folder, no luck. Same for trying some of the npc replacers that have been released for the PC version, just in case it was a matter of format. I don't even so much as get a blank portrait with a question mark.

I tried making an override folder within what I believe was Baldurs Gate.app/data and ifunbox won't allow the creation of new folders in there for some reason. This all leaves a foul taste in my mouth, to be honest. As trivial as it may seem, I can't bring myself to play the game without the option of customization.
    Post edited by Kalalio on
    lunar
  • LizKatzLizKatz Member Posts: 3
    Kalalio said:

Hey guys, glad to see people working on a way to get custom portraits into the game.

My dilemma is that I don't have access to a PC, much less a PC with another copy of BGEE. So to try and work around that limitation, I hoped to to replace one of the default portraits(Man1) using a MAC. Putting the port in Portraits doesn't seem to do anything. I tried creating an override folder in the same folder(Library) as the portraits folder, no luck. Same for trying some of the npc replacers that have been released for the PC version, just in case it was a matter of format. I don't even so much as get a blank portrait with a question mark.

I tried making an override folder within what I believe was Baldurs Gate.app/data and ifunbox won't allow the creation of new folders in there for some reason. This all leaves a foul taste in my mouth, to be honest. As trivial as it may seem, I can't bring myself to play the game without the option of customization.

I feel the same way! (ok ok, I am still playing through, but it is a bit of a let down :/) I don't have a PC at the moment, and I really wanted to play with my own image/ custom portrait. Please if anyone figures out a way let me know!!!
    Still no dice for me, but at least now I know it's not the portraits fault.
    Thanks for the help! I think I'll stop for a while and simply enjoy the game for now.
    ronny
    Ok, sorry I couldn't hellp more, if I think of anything ill give a shout on the thread.
  • 02firenz02firenz Member Posts: 1
    Tarantio: I was having the same problem as you. However, I found that if you copy the two custom images you need (in my case 'SORCL.BMP' and 'SORCS.BMP' - don't forget to use all capitals) from the portraits folder into the actual saved game folder then in worked. This means that there would be three image folders in the saved game; for me they were the two already mentioned plus a third called 'PORTRTO.BMP'. If you haven't already sorted it then I hope that helps!
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    @02firenz The small and medium portrait files needs to sit in each relevant save/xxx directory indeed. The Library/Portraits directory appears to be irrelevant actually. Moreover I kept lower case file names and that did not create any problem. What a strange glitch! Annoying too as it makes transferring saved games to the iPad a chore.
    edited December 2012
    hmmm... i cannot remember if i created all my characters on the iPad and then ported to the PC and changed the portrait and saved than ported back to iPad...? will this fix the issue if you start the character on iPad? I will try it later, but if anyone wants to give it a shot (I am not in a hurry) before I do and confirm than feel free to do so with my thanks.

EDIT: because I seem to have no problem porting with custom portraits, so im thinking I must be doing something differently?.
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    @D3V11_ Or perhaps one of the Windows update changed the way the game is saved. The experience I reported is with v1.0.2011 which is the latest at the time of writing this. I mean, I'm sure you did not dream your original report!!!
    Ok found the problem.

Make sure you have a folder named "portraits" (not sure if the "p" in portraits is capital or lower case, I think I have it as lower case on mine, but I also believe it dosing matter)in the same folder that the "save" folder is in, in that folder make sure you have all the portraits you are using with the same name as you set on the PC.

Let me know if the problem is fixed.
  • scanlinescanline Member Posts: 46
    Can someone confirm for me that when using iFunBox and creating a folder in Baldur's Gate -> Library -> Portraits on the iPad enables the custom portrait button below the selectable portraits?

Thanks
    edited January 2013
    it does not enable the custom portraits but you still need that folder for your custom portraits to work if you have them on your PC and trying to port them otherwise, it will crash on your screen that shows the medium portrait (forget the screen name... i think its your stats screen... not sure)

edit: correction: it does not enable the custom portrait button but you still...
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Creating Portraits folder and putting the portraits in it in BG's library folder does not enable 'custom' portrait selection when creating a character on Ipad for me. However, if I create a character with custom portrait on PC, and transfer its save game to Ipad, along with the portrait my character uses to Portrait folder on IPad, seems to work. I still can not choose custom portraits when creating character on Ipad, but transferred saves/characters portrait work correctly. Oh well, I am mighty thankful for that ^^ Customisation is a huge part of the enjoyment I get from this game.
    D3V11_
  • scanlinescanline Member Posts: 46
    Thanks for confirming this guys. I do hope they make this process easier. Seems like this would be possible and easy to do as itunes does have file management tools for apps. We'll see on the next patch I guess.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    I doubt it will be in the next patch, they've already stated a long time ago that while they're intending to support this kind of customization, they've not had time to look into it.

That said, here's to hoping it comes in soon.
    Just found on another thread that you need a lower case "p" in portraits on the iPad, this will fix the problems with the crash. Sorry for the mistake.
  • xidax121xidax121 Member Posts: 1
    D3V11_ said:

lol "I really hate the Bg1 Imoen and Viconia portraits." sorry i find that funny, but I understand, although it doesn't bother me really.

I haven't tried to change the portraits on any NPC's but if you cant do it the same way as your character you may be able to use ShadowKeep follow the steps in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7205/getting-shadowkeeper-to-work-with-bgee/p1

this is for the PC, you would have to try yourself, porting your saved game to iPad with that portrait saved there. pleas confirm if you get it.

I have a portrait you can use that works for me that you can try, let me know of a way I can send the set to you and i will.

if you followed the steps exactly as on the link I have sent it should work... I used GIMP to modify all my images, it is free and a very good tool to make/modify images. make sure the image is a 24 bit image.
    custom pcs
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    Thanks for posting this