Skip to content

Glitch in Icewind Dale II *HELP!!*

11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
I just started playing Icewind Dale II, and I got to a part where I rescued Sabrina at the Shaengarne River, and after I did, she didn't open the area where the orc lookouts were! So now I keep getting utterly murdered by the lookouts, and I assume the fight is impossible because I have no missile weapons to use!

Can someone help? This is too utterly annoying..

Comments

• 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Guess I'll just replay Icewind Dale I on heart of fury mode :/
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    It's been a long time, but isn't there a switch you pull inside the main camp to open that door? I recall there being an invisibility potion to get you past the orc chieftan, or a rogue could sneak past.

I'm just assuming Sabrina is the hostage that negotiates with you before the final confrontation with the orc chief, I really don't remember. If she's the priestess you fight alongside or something, then I'm totally lost.
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    Yeah i played through this game recently but i can't remember where i rescued sabrina..

Give some more details and I can help.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    Had to read a walkthrough cause I didn't remember...
    -> rescue dereth: kill orcs at his home (which should be finished by freeing him)
    -> visit him for opening the path & quest to rescue the wife

Everything else should be accessible including the lookout as the path is behind the house afair. But I used to play with tweak&fixpack..so maybe the scripting was corrected.
    Though it might also be that freeing his wife is the 2nd trigger for the lookout path. (return to him for a bit of blabla)

edit: I think you must return to him after the damsel in distress and only he clears the path not sabrina.
    Oh, Sabrina is the druid?

In that case, even if you can't take out the orc firestarter on the ledge, still should be able to get past the main force. Send a scout in to provoke the fireball trap, or ignite the barrels yourself if you have the means. Once they're gone (hopefully taking some orcs with them), hug the west side of the pass and I think you can keep out of bow range. Barring that, draw the orcs back away from the chasm, kill them, then sprint past the lookouts.

Why do you not have ranged weapons, by the way? Every warrior class in IWD2 starts with a proficiency point in everything, and non-warrior elf races automatically get a point for longswords and bows if memory serves. And the weapon slot system means that dual-wielding or using a shield is no excuse for not having a bow equipped. Go back to town and get some bows, they're very useful in the early game.
    Madhax said:

Oh, Sabrina is the druid?

In that case, even if you can't take out the orc firestarter on the ledge, still should be able to get past the main force. Send a scout in to provoke the fireball trap, or ignite the barrels yourself if you have the means. Once they're gone (hopefully taking some orcs with them), hug the west side of the pass and I think you can keep out of bow range. Barring that, draw the orcs back away from the chasm, kill them, then sprint past the lookouts.

Why do you not have ranged weapons, by the way? Every warrior class in IWD2 starts with a proficiency point in everything, and non-warrior elf races automatically get a point for longswords and bows if memory serves. And the weapon slot system means that dual-wielding or using a shield is no excuse for not having a bow equipped. Go back to town and get some bows, they're very useful in the early game.

Try this on HoF :) Though you have enough long-ranged artillery (read:mage/sorc) at this very point, so you can just lay waste amongst them, without bothering to clear the path first. Too bad, Wail of Awesomeness won't hit them from afar... but Horrid Wilthing does *insanity*
    Though I usually do the 'safe' way and kill them first, they are a major annoyance - specially the shaman.

In 'normal' IWD2 you just need to trigger the leader-stuff and just ran past the archers from the lookout point. Though I tend to rest at this location anyway..so they are usually a bother to me nonetheless. (was there mass-invis in IWD2? can't remember)
    Madhax
    @ Valky I've beaten IWD2 in HoF mode =) Unless you mean starting a fresh party for HoF and not importing them from normal mode...
    Fresh party in HoF sounds more like WtF! Ack, I can't check cause I messed up my (old) install with some *.exe changing gfx tool, cause I got weird LoS-shadows and major slow-downs.
    And am currently in BG2-SCSII business :)
    I know of plenty of people who did it for IWD1. IWD2 seems less possible, mostly due to the scale of the battle at the end of the prologue.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Thanks for all the help guys. Man, it was a bigger glitch then I initially thought at the time, too. I decided to reload an autosave, but I had to do the whole area over again. Anyway, after rescuing Sabrina the event that cleared the second path to the lookouts happened. Also, the Orc you chase after was in the correct place because when the glitch happened he was in a weird area, and not where he was supposed to be!