Skip to content

Screen resolution 1024 x 1280 - cannot play game

My monitors are rotated by 90°, which means I've got a screen resolution of 1024 x 1280.

When starting the game, only the left half to two thirds of the UI is shown, same for the video. I cannot even start a game because the character creation screen shows me "Cancel" only as the right-most button.

I thought with the new scalable UI, and portrait mode being typical for programmers who need more lines of code than width, it would have been taken care of that there might be other aspect ratios than 4:3 and 16:9. Am I mistaken?

Since the first suggestion probably will be to rotate the screen back: I can't, there are multiple monitors next to each other, no place for a landscape monitor, and I won't unscrew and rescrew four VESA mounting screws each time I want to play ;)

Comments

• sazalandsazaland Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2012
    This may sound stupid, and it could just not work with the new engine, but have you tried going to Windows compatibility mode settings for Baldur.exe and checking "Run in 640 x 480 Resolution"? My thought was this might force the scaling UI to scale to a 640x480 resolution, which would run in a letterboxed fullscreen on your monitor.

This is assuming the new rendering process will accept 640x480, it might have a minimum of 800x600 or 1024x768..

And obviously this would just be a workaround :V
  • DurandilDurandil Member Posts: 6
    Nice idea, thank you :)
    Didn't work though.

Tried XP compatibility mode along with it, no success either.

Looked through system settings and nVidia control panel, both do not offer a method to trick another aspect ratio it seems.
    edited November 2012
    Found a workaround after some strange routes back to the easy things... baldur.ini in CSIDL_DOCUMENTS\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\baldur.ini. Did set Full Screen to 0 and can continue :)

It's not perfect because the character list at the right vanishes if I change the window size to be higher than wide (or just maximize the window), but it's a start :)
    Post edited by Durandil on
    edited December 2012
    Even after the update (now 1.0.2009), the problem persists as soon as I enlargen the window.

Read about the option:

'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0',

That didn't stop it from scaling the UI out of the window either.
  • scruplesscruples Member Posts: 7
    Why not go windowed and stretch the window into the other monitors? (unless they're all connected to different computers).
    Two are connected to the same, and it's indeed possible to stretch the monitor across the two. Gives me huge window, but all texts are cut in the middle by nearly two inch (two screen borders).

Maybe I should invest some time and see how flexible the new UI really is and if it would be possible to make a custom UI where the text box at the bottom and the fixed sized dialogs (itventory, diary, scrollbook etc.) are left-aligned...
    Still no changes with the latest patch, just as an update should someone responsible accidently happen to read :)