Skip to content

Thief kits, skill points, and Shadowkeeper

I like to use Shadowkeeper to give NPCs some kits that they wouldn't normally have, but there seems to be a bit of a problem: if I use it to turn a regular thief into an assassin or bounty hunter, they keep getting the 25 points the vanilla thief gets, even though they should only get 15 or 20 points, respectively.

What's up with that and how is it fixed? It makes me feel like I was cheating.

Comments

• tyl998tyl998 Member Posts: 144
    edited December 2012
    Chow said:

I like to use Shadowkeeper to give NPCs some kits that they wouldn't normally have

Chow said:

but it makes me feel like I was cheating.

-_- ehhh? :p
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    That doesn't count. I'm just spicing up the game for fun, for the purpose of making it less bland and vanilla. I don't really care about making it easier, just a bit more exciting.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    It is certainly a pity that you cannot enter negative integers under, e.g., "Tieves" in SK. I tried to remove the pick pocket skill for my cat PC Mr Friskies, but the program would not have it (yes, quite right, this is The Silly Playthrough, and yes, I could just ignore the pp skill and not use it - which, in fact, I will -, but it would be even more fun if you could also remove skill points).
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    That is pretty odd....I've never had any issues when setting up a dual classed kit.

Yeah there seems to be a problem. Using the exact same steps, it works fine in BG2, but EE always gives them 25 skill points.
  • faceless1963faceless1963 Member Posts: 143
    i don't want to bother you but - what else then cheating is changing a savegame and stuck your char with abilities, that the original game don't offer?
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    edited December 2012

i don't want to bother you but - what else then cheating is changing a savegame and stuck your char with abilities, that the original game don't offer?

Well, I guess it depends on the person and interpretation, but personally I don't see the particular issue of just giving a kit to a multiclass guy, not for the sake of making the game easier, but just to add in some flavor and fun. Indeed, I'm trying to take the drawbacks of the deal as well, hence this thread: if I didn't, then it'd be cheating.

You may disagree, of course.
    To be fair, most of that is actually allowed in PnP. The devs either didn't know, or didn't have enough time to properly add it. (then again, they did ridiculously overpower most of the kits compared to their actual PnP versions...so..maybe it's just an attempt at balance).
  • RhymeRhyme Member Posts: 190

None of the NPCs in BG have kits, because kits didn't exist at the time. But the fact that kits exist, and the fact that NPCs in BG2 often had kits, means that the idea of NPCs having kits in BG1 isn't absurd.

Kits add color and character. Making Kivan a ranger or a stalker (both fit the character) means you can have both a Kivan and a Minsc in your party without feeling like you have duplicate characters. Making Imoen a swashbuckler makes a lot of sense if you see her as a character that would never stab somebody in the back, but would say "Come on, let's go on an adventure!!"

What the OP is saying is that if he's going to add the kit, thus gaining the advantages of the kit, he also wants to balance that out by making sure he has the DISADVANTAGES associated with that kit. Because there's a world of difference between saying, "I think Minsc should be a Berserker instead of a Ranger" and saying, "I think Minsc should be a Berserker/Ranger who can still hide in shadows and charm animals, but can also gain grandmastery, level up faster, and dual to thief." One changes the character, good and bad... The other just tacks on extra powers.
    Faldorn basically oozes Avenger....and I've always felt Kivan makes a good stalker. Those are the only 2 that really jump out though. Maybe having Monty as a Fighter/Assassin, since the Complete Rogues actually does allow Multiclass to use thief kits. Same for Tiax, since Cyric is technically the God of Muder atm, patron of assassins.

Ajantis as a cavalier.

That's all I can think of, the rest work fine as is, or the kits that would best suit them aren't implemented.