Skip to content

Not-Quite-Core Difficulty Setting

Whenever I level up, I set the game to Normal.
When I scribe a scroll I know I only get one chance at, I set the game to Normal.

And then when I go back to playing, I set the game back to Core.

Losing valuable resources or permanently having an unsustainably low HP character due to unlucky rolling does not fill me with fun, but at the same time, I prefer my enemies to hit just as hard as they're supposed to.

Please consider either:

1) Remove the arbitrary 25% damage reduction from Normal.

2) Add a new setting where this is the case.

or 3) Externalise the different factors of difficulty to a toggle system for Scribe Failure / Roll HP - and a slider that exclusively handles damage multiplication to allow people to fine tune difficulty for themselves.

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I agree. In the IWD games, if memory serves, there were separate toggle options for spell scribing and maximum HP per level unrelated to the difficulty bar. I would much prefer that to the current system.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    I agree with you that 'Normal' difficulties combination of max HP, 100% scribe, and 3/4 monster difficulty is not a good combination for all players. I do not know if it can be changed as it's part of the original game. They are not allowed to change the core game/mechanics. For the sake of forum banter I'll play along.

Keep in mind you can use the stockpile of "potion of genius" before memorizing spells. Also, there may be a correlation between 'difficulty' and 'the amount of HP your character has' but it's not causation. That said, tying max HP to difficulty could be removed as it becomes irrelevant past a certain level when you start gaining a set HP. Also some players may want the challenge of not max HP per level but play on a different monster damage.

My suggestion:

Max HP check box

Novice: Monsters do 1/2 damage & Scribe 100%
    Normal: Monsters do 3/4 damage
    Core: Monsters do normal damage
    Hard: Monsters do 1.5x damage
    Insane: Monsters do 2.0x damage (HP grayed out)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    Wouldn’t it be best if there were several sliders for the difficulty setting. One for each of the following:

Slider for enemy damage (adjustable anytime)
    Slider for enemy AI (adjustable anytime)
    Slider for ammo stack (only adjustable at game start)
    Slider for potion, scroll and gem stack (only adjustable at game start)
    Check box for 100% spell learning (adjustable anytime)
    Check box for either NWN style HP or maximum HP on level up (adjustable anytime)
    Perhaps something more…

Whether such changes are possible to implement I don’t know, but they would make it possible for everyone to customize the game according to ones desires.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Hm, now I think of it, a slider for HP that either had always roll average or always max roll would be good.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    definitely agree with separating spell learning, max hp and enemy damage.
  • PinkRosePinkRose Member Posts: 102
    Sign me up.
    More options are good options.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    edited December 2012
    Forgot, ther can be a slider for enemy pre-buffs in addition to the AI slider. That would make it 5 sliders and 2 check boxes.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

My suggestion:

Max HP check box

Novice: Monsters do 1/2 damage & Scribe 100%
    Normal: Monsters do 3/4 damage
    Core: Monsters do normal damage
    Hard: Monsters do 1.5x damage
    Insane: Monsters do 2.0x damage (HP grayed out)

also: Max NPC/monster HP checkbox