Skip to content

Bug? Fighter/Mage robe appearance

BoogieManBoogieMan Member Posts: 4
edited November 2012 in Fixed
I remember this being something that bothered me in BG1. I don't recalls it being fixed or if it exists in BG2. But the problem is that if a non pure mage wore a mage robe you did not get the robe graphic. It would just change yours clothing color. It stopped me from playing a fighter/mage because you looked like gou were running around in pajamas. Like I said Idont remember it being fixed but if it hasn't please do.
Post edited by Balquo on
T2av

Comments

• BoogieManBoogieMan Member Posts: 4
    Apparently my typing accuracy is a bit lacking on my phone and I don't see an edit button. Apologies.
    mister_ennuiT2av
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited July 2012
    That's not actually a bug.

I think that the problem was that the Fighter sprite was actually different than the Mage sprite, and they simply never did a robe animation for the Fighter sprite.

EDIT: You can also edit your posts by click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of your posts.
    Quartz
  • BoogieManBoogieMan Member Posts: 4
    Oh, didn't notice it on my phone. Thanks. As to the issue, I still believe it's worth fixing because it just looked bad. It would be a good enhancement for the enhanced edition. :) It could at least be called an oversight.
  • Ezzaam4FutbolEzzaam4Futbol Member Posts: 72
    +1... If they can fix it! Me also, I never tryed the fighter/mage with that robe problem.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, the thing is, they're not doing any new animations so the only way to "fix" this would be for your character to switch from a Fighter sprite to a Mage sprite when equipping a robe (which in the case of male humans would lead to your character instantly growing a beard by equipping a robe).

I know that there are mods that do this for the original game.
  • FootDiveFootDive Member Posts: 3
    BG2 tweaks should have the avatar switching mod. Galactygon's avatar switching mod if I recall. It basically switches your character models to mage when a robe is worn or back to whatever class you were when armour is equipped.
    DiscoCatBhryaenSpaceInvader
  • AvengerLynxAvengerLynx Member Posts: 24
    FootDive said:

BG2 tweaks should have the avatar switching mod. Galactygon's avatar switching mod if I recall. It basically switches your character models to mage when a robe is worn or back to whatever class you were when armour is equipped.

I think this is the closest you're gonna get to it showing more obviously that a robe is equipped. Problem is, the game treats robes as 'armour' for wizards (well I guess it kinda is!), level 4 being robes of archmagi, level 3 being adventurers' robes, knaves robes etc., level 2 being element resistance robes, and level 1 being nothing.
    Now, on fighter paperdolls, level 1 is nothing, level 2 is leather armour, level 3 is chain/splint mail, and level 4 is plate mail armour. Therefore, if you were to want something which looked like a fighter, but had robes showing up, then you'd need a whole new set of paperdolls, where levels 2-4 of armor levels appeared as robes, not armour. Then of course there'd be the issue of telling the game to switch between the two and to tell the difference between armour and robes. Doing that, I imagine, would need a lot of extra programming, although I suppose it could be done…
    I think the way it appears in the game (ie as strange multicoloured pyjamas) is a comprise - I think the pyjama version is slightly more accurate than a robe of archmagi appearing as some form of coloured plate mail armour when worn. At least the original developers weren't lazy in that aspect.

To be honest, this isn't something which has bothered me a lot. I play an elven fighter/mage quite a lot, but it really only happens in BG1, although I can alternate between armour and robes anyway, because I don't need to cast spells as regularly as I would in BG2. However, when I reach BG2, there's elven chainmail that allows you to cast spells whilst wearing it, so I never need to wear robes anyway.
    Quartz
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    Take a look at 1PPv4 to see how this will probably work and look in BGEE:
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55047-1ppv4-rc1-download-discussion/
    DiscoCat
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    The easiest way to work around this problem is just to use a save game editor like Shadow Keeper and change the sprite yourself. For example, change "fighter male human" to "mage male human" and you can now equip robes with the cosmetic changes.
  • AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
    BG Tweaks is a mod that offers the avatar swapping based on equipping different types of armors. It's a great install unless you use shadowkeeper or other method to change your character's paper doll (some people like playing with the demon knight avatar, vampire, mind-flayer, etc).
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    I wish I'd known about these fixes for my first playthrough; having to run around in my underwear was easily the worst part of being a fighter/mage. That said, I really hope it gets fixed for those of us who don't want to use mods for our first game of EE. :)

Since the team is incorporating fan fixes with permission from the authors, couldn't the same be done here?
    Oxford_Guy
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Do note that 1PP is being integrated into BGEE, as announced by Trent Oster. There are some animation and paperdoll perks that go along with that... ;-)
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Bhryaen said:

Do note that 1PP is being integrated into BGEE, as announced by Trent Oster. There are some animation and paperdoll perks that go along with that... ;-)

Are you saying we won't see naked fighter/mage anymore? I'd love it!
  • SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
    Robes should look unique on wizards.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    This is fixed.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    I would like to see a hooded druid. :) Thanks.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Balquo said:

This is fixed.

No it's not, fighter/mages wearing robes are not shown as wearing robes
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336

Balquo said:

This is fixed.

Fighter/Mage base clothing colors will change to the robes coloring but the paperdoll and character sprite do not show the robe.

I have solved this by installing the paper doll swap feature of BG2 Tweak Pack. My Fighter/Mage will now swap based on the armor type equipped.

edited December 2012

Balquo said:

This is fixed.

Fighter/Mage base clothing colors will change to the robes coloring but the paperdoll and character sprite do not show the robe.

I have solved this by installing the paper doll swap feature of BG2 Tweak Pack. My Fighter/Mage will now swap based on the armor type equipped.

@bigdogchris - Okay, great - so if I install just this component from the BG2 Tweak back to BGEE this works and seems bug-free? My fighter/mage is a lady and wants to look elegant in robes :-)

Though it looks like the Gibberlings 3 website is currently down (and I think has been for a few days), could someone post the latest BG2 Tweak back somewhere else or send me a PM, so I can give you my email address to send it to? Thanks!

Balquo said:

This is fixed.

@bigdogchris - Okay, great - so if I install just this component from the BG2 Tweak back to BGEE this works and seems bug-free? My fighter/mage is a lady and wants to look elegant in robes :-)

Though it looks like the Gibberlings 3 website is currently down (and I think has been for a few days), could someone post the latest BG2 Tweak back somewhere else or send me a PM, so I can give you my email address to send it to? Thanks!

Don't worry, I managed to download from the emergency download site:
    http://www.camagna.net/g3mirror/g3_emergency_mirror.html

More info. here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11734/bg2-tweaks-v11-released#latest
    edited December 2012

Balquo said:

This is fixed.

Don't worry, I managed to download from the emergency download site:
    http://www.camagna.net/g3mirror/g3_emergency_mirror.html

More info. here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11734/bg2-tweaks-v11-released#latest
    @bigdogchris - hurrah! Have installed this, and it now works on my female elf fighter/mage, though some of the robes when worn look slightly odd. as rather than having a bare leg showing in the paperdoll, her exposed leg gets coloured, I don't remember this happening in BGT / Tutu, so maybe it's because of the 1pp avatars used?

EDIT: the problem with the legs being coloured seems to be with the Knave's Robe and Traveller's Robe, but not with the Robes of Electrical/Cold/Fire resistance, I also used Shadowkeeper to test the Robes of the Evil Archmagic and these also colour the exposed leg.
    There have been a lot of paper doll swapping going on between BGEE/1pp/BG2 tweaks, who knows what's happen. I don't understand what they are doing just that they are working at least for me. My Fighter/Mage is male so the legs are not exposed nor do I want to see them. :)

There have been a lot of paper doll swapping going on between BGEE/1pp/BG2 tweaks, who knows what's happen. I don't understand what they are doing just that they are working at least for me. My Fighter/Mage is male so the legs are not exposed nor do I want to see them. :)

I wonder if this component from 1ppv4 would work better?;

1ppv4: Smart Avatar & Armour Switching
    Keep in mind that BG:EE is using the BG2 1pp mod to return to BG1 paper dolls. I don't know how well the armor switching version would work but you can definitely try it.

Speaking of which, if 1pp has an switch mod, why didn't it get put into BG:EE?

Keep in mind that BG:EE is using the BG2 1pp mod to return to BG1 paper dolls. I don't know how well the armor switching version would work but you can definitely try it.

Speaking of which, if 1pp has an switch mod, why didn't it get put into BG:EE?

That's exactly what I was thinking!
    Let me know how the 1pp switching mod works.
    @bigdogchris - before trying the 1pp switching mod, I created a pure class female elf mage, just to see how robes "normally" look in BGEE for this race/class (unless BG2Tweaks is still doing something behind the scenes) - but the paperdoll/avatar looks exactly the same as with my fighter/mage and the BG2 Tweaks component -i.e the exposed bare leg being coloured when using the Knave's Robe, Traveller's Robe and evil Robe of Archmagi. Not only that the overall look of the robes and the way the colours are handled seems far worse than I remember for a female elf mage under BG2 / BGT, which I played only recently - especially the Robe of Archimagi :-(

Sadly, I think this is perhaps just how the robes look on a female elf mage in BGEE.

I might still uninstall the BG2 Tweaks component and try out the 1pp switching mod, but I suspect the robes will look the same :-(
    Fenghoang
    edited December 2012
    I just created a female Elf mage and her leg is the color of her flesh tone (with BG2 Tweak switch installed). Are you sure your not changing the characters skin color during character creation?

I just created a female Elf mage and her leg is the color of her flesh tone (with BG2 Tweak switch installed). Are you sure your not changing the characters skin color during character creation?

What robes are you wearing? Her leg shows correctly when wearing no robes, and the robes of fire/electrical/cold resistance, but not with other robes. Also, the robes are *definitely* different fron the BG2 ones, and not for the better IMHO

@bigdogchris - okay I've uninstalled the BG2Tweaks avatar changing component and have now installed the 1ppv4 avatar changing component (only) - with just this installed the fighter/mage avatar does *not* change to robes. I'm guessing it only works if you install the 1ppv4 avatars, but am nervous to do that, in case I break the game!