Skip to content

[SPOILERS] maybe: Minsc will not join

MythdraconMythdracon Member Posts: 187
edited January 2013 in Fixed
So I killed Dynaheir for Edwin, and now when I talk to Minsc he's all sad and questioning his purpose. I asked him to join me, but nothing happens. He just sits there, and multiple tries still don't make him join. I could attach a saved game (if I knew how), but until then, could someone please fix it so he can join the party?

[On a separate note, the guards in Nashkel near the top of the map keep bumping into each other near the bridge and stuttering about, kills the immersion. Someone make them walk ahead in a uniform line, as they should.]
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Talking about Minsc, Edwin, and Dynaheir, I don't see how the behavior you described would be a bug. It seems intended to me.
    Fathuran
  • MythdraconMythdracon Member Posts: 187
    edited December 2012
    It's a bug because he expressed willingness to join my party and then said something along the lines of 'Let's go onward!" and then nothing happened. (Normally the party screen would show up and I'd have to remove a char--at least in vanilla BG from what I remember.)

Note that after nothing happens, if I talk to him again, the same conversation occurs (weeping, etc), and the same "Ok let's go!" and then nothing happens.

Clearly, clearly a bug.
    porkchopsAdul
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    The easy way of making him join would be Ctrl Q with activated cheats*. Don't know if that would fix the problem with the failed quest of saving Dynaheir though.

*The baldur.ini can be found next to the save game folders, at C:\Users\[user-name]\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition

I guess the bug here would be that Minsc still talks about joining you, not that he doesn't join you.
    Hm, ok.

Do activated cheats work in the EE? I forgot how to edit the .ini file--these days I'm a bit of a purist, even though watching the party walk across wild landscapes for minutes on end can be dull (I used to use the cheats for transport only).
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    Actually I noticed that when I talked to Minsc with my reputation low (5) he basically told me to bugger off and then stopped talking to me at all no matter what. I fixed it by taking Edwin's quest instead, but then taking Dynaheir into my party and meeting Minsc on the way back. EzPz
    Yeah, when you have a low rep like that he flat out refuses to associate with you at all. In my case, I didn't have that issue, my rep was around 9 or 10 at the time.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @Mythdracon
    Add the line:
    'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',

The .ini looks quite messy when opened with the normal text editor though. A program like http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ might be helpful.
    Thanks!
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2012
    Current Behavior: I picked up Edwin in Nashkel without ever speaking to Minsc. We traveled to the Gnoll Stronghold, where I allowed Edwin the settle his issues with Dynaheir, which resulted him killing her. Edwin agreed to join my party for one year as a payment and we left for Nashkel. When I arrived there, I kicked Edwin out of my party, and talked to Minsc for the first time. He knew about Dynaheir's death, and told me how said he was. I chose the first option (picture below) to invite him to my party. He replied positively (picture also below), but when I click on the "end dialog" button nothing happens. According to our dialog he should have joined my party, but instead of this nothing happens. The dialog windows just closes and that's it.

Expected behavior: Obviously Minsc should join my party in this situation.

Picture of the dialog window, where I choose the first option in order to invite him to my party:
    http://i.imgur.com/RFjM8.jpg

This is what he replies to the invitation shown above:
    http://i.imgur.com/nbhBA.jpg

This is clearly a bug. I have also tried to have Edwin in my party (to have a full party) in hope of seeing the window in the bottom in which you can choose who do you want to remove to make place for Minsc. It yielded the same result.

Here is the save: http://speedy.sh/2VHNa/000000016-Minsc-won-t-join-bug.zip
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I agree, this is likely a bug
  • ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    So I did some experimenting today, and what I can tell you is, this whole Minsc and Dynaheir (Edwin) part needs a revision. I reloaded to a save that I made right before I let Edwin kill Dynaheir in the Gnoll Stronghold. This time, I didn't let Edwin to kill her instead I killed her with CHARNAME as it was agreed with Edwin. We went back to Nashkel to see if we could recruit Minsc this time. The unexpected happened, as we were approaching the place where Minsc stands, you could hear (and read in the bottom dialog box) that Minsc had gone hostile and attacked the Amnish soldiers. I didn't even reach him yet.

Here is a pic: http://i.imgur.com/ePfYU.jpg
  • Dr_ChallengerDr_Challenger Member Posts: 0
    I just worked a test game to the point of picking up Dynaheir, arranging an 'accident', and removing the room temperature invoker from the party. (Oh, don't judge - you know you've done it too).

Upon returning to Nashkel to pick up the better half of the duo, Minsc goes on about how Dynaheir is dead and he wants to join CHARNAME to restore his honor. Welcome aboard, Minsc...err... Why won't you join when I invite you? Join, Minsc, join!

Is this a bug or the intended functionality of the alternate 'Dynaheir is dead' script? Is the trick here that you're supposed to keep the room temperature invoker in the party until Minsc is on board? Or are you expected to complete the duo, then arrange for the timely 'accident'?
    As it was mentioned above, it is a bug. And it will be fixed soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Looking at the code, it looks like Minsc is immediately leaving your party after joining because when you killed Dynaheir, a flag was set (EdwinFight=1).

The question is, how should Minsc react? Since word reached him that Dynaheir is dead, word should have also reached him that was involved. My inclination is that he should go hostile at this point.

Thoughts? (if there is consensus, I can make a patch)
    I've reproduced the situation where Minsc is hostile and killing the flaming fist before you encounter him again. Still can't figure out why it is happening...
    He'll be berserk if Dyna was killed by you in Edwin's quest.
    That certainly makes sense, but I'm having trouble finding where in the scripts that actually happens. Can you give me a pointer?
    Cerevant said:

That certainly makes sense, but I'm having trouble finding where in the scripts that actually happens. Can you give me a pointer?

I think it is in Dyna's dialogue. She checks if edwin is present when you first talk to her.