Skip to content

Worth buying for Intel HD4000 pc?

It's been a long wait for this game's release, and now frustrating reading through hundreds of bugs and tales of woe from unhappy owners unable to run the game.

I have an Intel i7-3770 chip seated on an Asus Sabertooth Z77 board with 32GB DDR3 running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I don't have discreet graphics, so it's HD4000. Device Manager reports a driver date of 9/26/2012 and version 9.17.10.2867.

Basically, do you foresee any problems for me running the game? Any similar setups out there?

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2012
    There are still some bugs with Intel HD chips. Many people have no problem at all and the devs are currently working on it. They said they'll implement a DirectX renderer if necessary.

In other words, only trying the game in your own machine can give a sure answer right now.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    I think you would be OK. If you have issues, switch to OpenGL mode 1 and Run the baldur.exe in 95 compatibility mode. Other users have reported HD4000 works fine.

I can imagine the price for the game is not going to be lowered for some time, so if you want to play, try it. In the rare event that you have to wait a few months to play, you won't be losing money as it should cost the same.
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    edited December 2012
    My theory is that as long as the integrated intel graphic chipset is HD3000 or newer and the graphic driver is up to date it would be fine...

I currently use i3 ultrabook i3-2367 with HD3000 graphic chipset and the game runs fine... (slows down if there are more than 6 enemies) Although I use maximum performance setting for the visual effects...
    The Intel HD series GPU's use the newer version of the Intel drivers that the older GPU's cannot. I am lead to believe the newer driver versions have better OpenGL support.
  • boilfaceboilface Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the help guys. I've purchased the game and am downloading now. Will let you know how it goes.
  • onkelosuppoonkelosuppo Member Posts: 12
    You should be good. Download the latest drivers and check disable desktop composition in the compability options. The HD4000 supports OpenGL alright. Older models and chipsets are rather the troublemakers.
    Used Beamdog client install. Game started with white block in the middle of the screen, with intro music playing for a couple of seconds, then a "Crash Dump" dialog appearing.

Went into Baldur.exe file property dialog and checked "Disable desktop composition".

Game seems to be running good.

I'm actually surprised how good the graphics look compared to when I played it on its release. I'm running on a 30" so my resolution is 2560x1600.

Some of the text is blurry, which is disappointing considering we've had scalable fonts for over two decades. The UI is all blurred, enlarged raster images. Surely vectors would have been the obvious choice, especially now we have retina displays.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Glad to see it's working for you. The developers are aware of the UI problems and they're being worked on. It's actually good to see developers that actually acknowledge the problems in their product instead of blaming the user for any problem :)
    edited December 2012
    On my test system, disabling desktop composition will not allow the game to run.

On my test system, disabling desktop composition will not allow the game to run.

HD4000, with same driver as mine?