Skip to content

Want to store gold? Try the First Bank of Zhurlong!

For all Wild Mage lovers, I present to you the one and the only bank in BG1:

Zhurlong the Halfling, situated in the Burning Wizard of Beregost.

Each time you speak to Zhurlong, he accepts a deposit of 30 gold pieces.

Zhurlong is usable twice in the entire game; first time, when you have not completed his quest, Zhurlong will happily accept deposits until you bring him his boots of sneakery, at which point all your gold is returned to you, plus 300 GP interest and some Experience.

Sadly, the magic of the boots transforms Zhurlong from a regular bank into a Piggy Bank. Whilst you can still store gold with him, in order to recover any more, you must now break him, recovering your gold, boots, and giving you even more Experience.

Comments

• IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited December 2012
    Don't read beyond this point! :D

---Edited: silly me for thinking this is a mod---
    Here's a link for my drop gold request. This is the closest thing to my request though ;p
    Post edited by Illustair on
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Mod?

Oh no Sirrah, this is 100% in-game already.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I lol'd.
  • SultanPSultanP Member Posts: 15
    Heh, you've got the wrong idea, @fredamora. It's not a mod, it's just a pickpocket in Beregost who steals money from you every time you talk to him, but will return all that he's stolen when you finish his quest. After that, I guess he keeps stealing from you, but now you'll have to kill him to get your money back.
    edited December 2012
    @SultanP
    Oops, I sure made a fool of myself.hahaha to my defense, I've only played BG-1 once as I started with BG-2; so I hardly remember anything on the first. **cough** Excuses! Oh maaan, so that's why it hardly makes any sense...I asked myself, why give boots? What's with all the drama (for a bank NPC)? It's an in-game quest after all!haha

I didn't get to say thank you for making it clearer by the way. Thanks
    Post edited by Illustair on
    Yeah, the only reason he matters at all outside of being an unremarkable fetch quest is that Wild Mage parties need some way of storing backup gold to avoid losing everything on a gold Surge. Zhurlong is the absolutely only way of storing gold with 100% efficiency.
    Thanks for the heads up, I could very well use that. While at it, you could "drop" support at drop gold feature if you want to. It's really annoying isn't it that your gold is always at the mercy of the wild mage and you can't do a damn thing about it. Now we can, thank you for that...but how about for the sequel?
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Can he be pickpocketed to make a nonviolent withdrawal?
    Sadly, I don't think gold counts as a pickpockettable item, I'll check next time I have a master thief in my party.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    yes, gold is a pickpocketed item (in bg2, which should be the same in bgee)
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    here's an amusing pickpocket story for you. In the original Fallout, there was a town where little kids would steal stuff from you and you would have to pickpocket from them to get it back. They were supposed to give it to a merchant who would sell it but that part was bugged.

Here's the hilarious part: the game had to be changed for release in the UK because children in classic Fallout were killable. So Interplay took the easiest possible way out and just gave children an invisible sprite. So they could (and would) still steal from you, but you could never find them to get it back! Plus, they would still be killed by explosions or a missed shot.