Skip to content

Featuire request: Remove the "save too often" monster spawning punishment

IrinotecanIrinotecan Member Posts: 2
One of the things I really disliked about BG1 was the penalty for saving your game too often. After a certain amount of saves, areas that aren't 100% cleared beforehand begin to "punish" you by increasing the number of monsters in a spawn area to an insane number, making combat really difficult just to walk through an area you may have already done, but didn't bother to 100% clear!

Is there any chance this can be eliminated, or relegated to a "hard" setting on a game difficulty slider? (I don't remember offhand if BG1 had difficulty settings).
Aeltas

Comments

• TheIronRoseTheIronRose Member Posts: 20
    What this is a feature how did I never know about this and THAT SOUNDS AMAZING.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    That is definately a cool feature!
  • valgrothvalgroth Member Posts: 13
    New to me too. How many times do I have to save?
  • AndyrAndyr Member Posts: 14
    Are you sure about that, Irinotecan? I don't remember that feature.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    That sounds like a great feature to me. Did it really exist in the game?

I think you just happened to be in an area with a high respawn rate for mobs.
  • IrinotecanIrinotecan Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    And how did I just know everyone was going to "like" this feature....

Well so much for it being removed now -_-

(And yes, it was quite annoying. Spawns would go from 5 or 6 creatures to 20+. Not in new, unexplored areas, but in existing ones, that you didn't clear 100%. No I don't know what the threshold is before it kicks in.)
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Tanthalas said:

That sounds like a great feature to me. Did it really exist in the game?

I think you just happened to be in an area with a high respawn rate for mobs.

@Tanthalas I've heard of this happening before, not sure where I read it though, and also not sure if it's actually a thing (I'm thinking probably just areas with high respawn rates as you suggested) as I never made an attempt to test it. Of course, based on the fact that nobody seems to know about it, I'm guessing you have to reload a lot for it to happen even if it does exist.

Also, if it does exist, I don't think that it should be removed.

@Irinotecan Do you have some verification that this exists? I'm not suggesting that you're making it up or anything, just wondering what exactly led you to the conclusion that reloads were increasing spawns. Could you give me a way to recreate it as I'd like to see it for myself... I'm assuming you were playing vanilla (unmodded) BG1, how many times did you save before it happened (roughly) and in what areas did it happen?
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    If this does exist, then it's great! It should be expanded, if anything.
    DiscoCat
  • DelvonDelvon Member Posts: 77
    I never truly noticed. For some reason I doubt it's a thing, because wouldn't there be a warning at some point in the candlekeep tutorial about this if that was the case? Only sleeping in non-safe locations resulted in atrocious numbers of enemies sometimes. Then again, I got mad kicks for clearing out 20+ ambushing xvarts. If it's there, keep it! Just use a loading screen hint to explain it or something!
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    I remember somehow getting my evil party to a point where we could kill a flesh golem with only a 50/50 chance of one of the party dying. I even remember sleeping in that cave and leveling up EVERYONE at least once before I got a full nights rest. This is a feature that would be horribly abused... but I like it anyway because it does penalize people who save the game too much (like right before a conversation where critical things are decided).
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I believe this was actually a bug for the original bg engine, in a similar vein to the leaving the area duplicates a hostile npc glitch. I think it was patched out in more recent versions, and with the bg2 engine it probably wont exist anyway.
  • KriegerKrieger Member Posts: 40
    This is news to me, and being a compulsive saver I think I would have noticed.
  • CadrosCadros Member Posts: 253
    I have never seen this issue, if you can reproduce it and show it is a bug then i am sure it will be addressed.